dans79

Maul balance point location?

I'm just getting into leather work (still gathering tools in fact), and I plan on making my own maul. Since I have the ability to machine the various metal components to size, I have the ability to shift the balance point/ center of mass forward and back.  Would it be better to have the center of mass as far forward as possible, or more back towards the  handle?

This is my current design. 

1.thumb.png.8cd710cd2230f87f315bf1643ef2bde9.png

2.thumb.png.e4317da33378ea2f4c0cbc09a9c3317b.png

3.thumb.png.8628d1fdf43b1512d10257824b607d38.png

4.thumb.png.7385787be7babc56c7c2630ccaa13e3c.png

When I was making mine I knew I couldn't answer the balance question until it was all finished and I held it in my hand.  Because it's a totally different story using a maul for carving, these guys only tap lightly with twists of the wrist, and very different when you use it for everything, like I do.

So what I did, I bought a whole bunch of 40mm washers, and I made the HDPE part hollow in the top and bottom, and it had a removable top and a threaded rod running through it.  And when it as all finished I had the option to add and remove washers from the top and the bottom and secure them in place with a nut, until I had exactly the weight and balance that I wanted. 

IMG_20200426_142835-XL.jpg

Edited by Spyros

I wouldn't overthink it. What I noticed on a couple of carving videos I watched was the way the carver held the maul, if he wanted to give the stamp a decent whack he held the maul's handle at the end, if he wanted to have more control to give gentle taps he shifted his hand to hold the forward part of the handle and also wrapped his fingers around the head of the maul. This effectively shifts the balance point.

2 hours ago, dikman said:

I wouldn't overthink it. What I noticed on a couple of carving videos I watched was the way the carver held the maul, if he wanted to give the stamp a decent whack he held the maul's handle at the end, if he wanted to have more control to give gentle taps he shifted his hand to hold the forward part of the handle and also wrapped his fingers around the head of the maul. This effectively shifts the balance point.

:17:think of it as a funny shaped hammer I made one the other day i used heavy brass on both ends of the head to mainly to get enough weight to it which is the bigger consideration IMO. Also if you are going to make it cone shaped its important to get the angle right you want the face of the maul to come down flat on your stamp as you use it while being somewhat comfortable for long stamping sessions. Mine came out at a little over a pound could have used a bit more weight as some of the larger stamps  I really have to whack. 

maul6.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

^Nice

Now I want to make another one

6 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Also if you are going to make it cone shaped its important to get the angle right you want the face of the maul to come down flat on your stamp as you use it while being somewhat comfortable for long stamping sessions. Mine came out at a little over a pound could have used a bit more weight as some of the larger stamps  I really have to whack. 

I Think I have the angle pretty close to correct, as i spent a good deal of time analyzing mallets of respected manufacturers. My goal was 24 oz. and to get to that weight, I need to have the "head caps" protrude well into the head. I haven't see a disassembled barry king, but I assume the heavier models would look much the same to mine. 

2 minutes ago, dans79 said:

i'm sure they would there isn't anywhere else to put it lol. Cant wait to see your work. 

3 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

i'm sure they would there isn't anywhere else to put it lol. Cant wait to see your work. 

It will be a while before I can get to the maul, thanks mainly to the cold streak keeping the temperature in my shop barely above freezing, and I have another project related to my 3d printer that needs some time at the milling machine.   

I did turn a burnisher before the cold streak hit, here it is with some other hand tools i made over the years.  
PGH56493.thumb.jpg.6aa7208fcacfd7b90ae3416fda1f7d4c.jpg

4 minutes ago, dans79 said:

It will be a while before I can get to the maul, thanks mainly to the cold streak keeping the temperature in my shop barely above freezing, and I have another project related to my 3d printer that needs some time at the milling machine.   

I did turn a burnisher before the cold streak hit, here it is with some other hand tools i made over the years.  

These heaters are the bomb!! I have the same problem winter shuts me down i use this heater its radiant so it keeps you pretty  warm heck my shop even gets into the 40s by the end of the day lol.

Nice work i make a lot of my tools also, working on a set of wood carving tools right now.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/master-low-profile-18k-btu-portable-cabinet-hea-mh-18-pnch-a

I use one of these in my wood shop. I do leather in the back room of the house. The Big Buddy can be hooked up to a tank. Kept it warm enough to just wear a shirt when it was about 5 degrees outside.

Search Results for mr heater big buddy at Tractor Supply Co.

22 minutes ago, tsunkasapa said:

I use one of these in my wood shop. I do leather in the back room of the house. The Big Buddy can be hooked up to a tank. Kept it warm enough to just wear a shirt when it was about 5 degrees outside.

Search Results for mr heater big buddy at Tractor Supply Co.

Those unvented heaters end up producing a lot of carbon dioxide and water.  That's usually not a problem but my shop is pretty air tight and the water ended up condensing on any exposed metal in my shop rusting it.

17 hours ago, Spyros said:

When I was making mine I knew I couldn't answer the balance question until it was all finished and I held it in my hand.  Because it's a totally different story using a maul for carving, these guys only tap lightly with twists of the wrist, and very different when you use it for everything, like I do.

So what I did, I bought a whole bunch of 40mm washers, and I made the HDPE part hollow in the top and bottom, and it had a removable top and a threaded rod running through it.  And when it as all finished I had the option to add and remove washers from the top and the bottom and secure them in place with a nut, until I had exactly the weight and balance that I wanted. 

IMG_20200426_142835-XL.jpg

Smart idea and nicely done!

1 hour ago, dans79 said:

Well, your craftsmanship is impressive.  Good luck with the maul.

I have a propane heater and it does a good job of warming up the shop. However i only use it when the shop temp needs to be increased by 15 to 20 degrees. Any more than that, and the carbon dioxide  and moisture starts to build up. The carbon dioxide is bad for me, and the moisture can cause flash rust on my tools. Usually the cold fronts only last a day or two, but this one has been going on for nearly a week and shows no sign of ending any time soon.

Edited by dans79

36 minutes ago, dans79 said:

I have a propane heater and it does a good job of warming up the shop. However i only use it when the shop temp needs to be increased by 15 to 20 degrees. Any more than that, and the carbon dioxide  and moisture starts to build up. The carbon dioxide is bad for me, and the moisture can cause flash rust on my tools. Usually the cold fronts only last a day or two, but this one has been going on for nearly a week and shows no sign of ending any time soon.

the carbon monoxide is bad for you, it can kill you. My garage is not airtight I live in a desert in fact there is less humidity in the winter months, even still i try to get plenty of fresh air while i'm working.