15 minutes ago, billybopp said:

As for a glass scraper, I've seen a number of cordwainer/cobbler videos where they have used broken glass rather than a knife of some sort to scrape the edges of soles, despite having otherwise "normal" tools.   Not sure why, but it seems to be a common practice!

Yes i used a piece of glass to hide where the leather has been doubled/trebled it makes it blend before staining and burning, now i use a Snow board/Ski scrapper works just as well.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

2 hours ago, billybopp said:

That's a jerk needle.  I have several but never used them.  They came with cheap brass awl hafts that I bought on ebay.  

As for a glass scraper, I've seen a number of cordwainer/cobbler videos where they have used broken glass rather than a knife of some sort to scrape the edges of soles, despite having otherwise "normal" tools.   Not sure why, but it seems to be a common practice!

- Bill

lol i have one of those never even looked at the needles. I just thought it was junk.

7 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol i have one of those never even looked at the needles. I just thought it was junk.

I have no idea if the blades with them are any good - Haven't tried them!  The handle itself is not bad for the price.  I like the way it fits my hand!  I'd probably never have bought one except that I had an awl that I liked where the blade started pushing into the handle.  I could probably have just pulled the blade out and epoxied it, but came across these at about the same time and decided.  Meh.  Why not!  

- Bill

55 minutes ago, billybopp said:

I have no idea if the blades with them are any good - Haven't tried them!  The handle itself is not bad for the price.  I like the way it fits my hand!  I'd probably never have bought one except that I had an awl that I liked where the blade started pushing into the handle.  I could probably have just pulled the blade out and epoxied it, but came across these at about the same time and decided.  Meh.  Why not!  

- Bill

sure enough it came with three needles one straight one curved and one that looks like a huge sewing machine needle. All dull as fro you couldn't pound them through with a hammer lol. I'll be sharpening one up and learning something new!!!!!  Thanks for the info!

n

Edited by fredk

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

sure enough it came with three needles one straight one curved and one that looks like a huge sewing machine needle. All dull as fro you couldn't pound them through with a hammer lol. I'll be sharpening one up and learning something new!!!!!  Thanks for the info!

Never too old to learn something new!! :thumbsup:

Here  is the same tool used to stich the sole on a boot...nice close up. It is just one stitch played over and over , but still mesmerizing 

Edited by LeatherLegion

9 hours ago, LeatherLegion said:

Here  is the same tool used to stich the sole on a boot...nice close up. It is just one stitch played over and over , but still mesmerizing 

so that is what the curved one is for cool indeed! 

Is the knife he is using homemade? Looks like a putty knife. 

The bottom line is where there's a will, there's a way.  Beautiful leatherwork is obviously possible without all of the fancy gizmos we covet today.  This video has inspired me to make the most out of what I have.

34 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

The bottom line is where there's a will, there's a way.  Beautiful leatherwork is obviously possible without all of the fancy gizmos we covet today.  This video has inspired me to make the most out of what I have.

couldn't have said it better !!:17:

54 minutes ago, 327fed said:

Is the knife he is using homemade? Looks like a putty knife. 

i used a putty knife for a skiver for a long time. If its good steel it will hold an edge. you know a guy could build a very simple cutting tool that works on a fulcrum just like he does it basically  longer handle with a blade on it like a paper cutter only smaller, sharper and cooler lol.