gregintenn

First try at a sissy bar bag

k6CuM9D.jpg

I didn't think it turned out too bad. It sure takes a lot of hand stitching! I'm still thinking about making a pair of saddlebags, but haven't committed to tackling that yet.

If you first glue about a 3/8 bar of glue up the edge of each piece with Weldwood Contact cement . . . you can then come back every 3/4 of an inch with a bright shiny rivet . . . whole bunch easier and faster than hand sewing . . . and they look pretty darned good too.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thank you, sir. That would be much easier.

I'll probably go with some pre dyed leather next time as well.

4zFev5F.jpg

Edited by gregintenn

Fantastic job.  Very professional looking bag.

That's a very nice job for first try my friend .

Rivets will never replace a great hand sewn product. You have made a really nice bag and am sure you will make fine saddlebags when you get to it. I myself have built hundreds of  motorcycle tool bags and saddlebags and all have been hand sewn or laced. I usually use harness weight leather for the large bags.

2 hours ago, Blackjack21 said:

Rivets will never replace a great hand sewn product. You have made a really nice bag and am sure you will make fine saddlebags when you get to it. I myself have built hundreds of  motorcycle tool bags and saddlebags and all have been hand sewn or laced. I usually use harness weight leather for the large bags.

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I’ve made belts, holsters, wallets and such for several years now, but getting back into motorcycles, this is new to me.

Blackjack21,

I have a specific question for you. If I use a stiff, thick harness leather, can I use saddlebags without the wire guards you need to buy for commercial bags that protect the bags from getting onto the brake rotor/belt pulley?

Very nice indeed.  Personally, I'd stay with the stitching, but that's just me, the rivets make a lot of sense.  

4 hours ago, Blackjack21 said:

Yeah, that.:16:

I also Think hand stitching is a better product on leather goods than rivets.  BUT, When it comes to motorcycles  EVERYONE knows that Chrome makes a bike go faster. The Leather color Black with Chrome is a tradition on Harley Davidson. It just IS. So In this instance, Mr Dwight has hit the nail on the head

Nice bag by the way. VERY nice job

In my thought process the rivets add to the look, and strength, but from my mind I want is sewn and glued as well as the rivets. make it as good as you can.   

I did a Google image search to see similar bags with rivets. In my opinion the rivets cheapen the look. They may be appropriate for Harley Davidson but the OP's bag without rivets looks far classier and more refined.

That is sweet!  I sure wouldn't let it set anywhere out of sight.

On 2/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, gregintenn said:

Thank you, sir. That would be much easier.

I'll probably go with some pre dyed leather next time as well.

was this veg tan that you dyed? I have had very bad luck keeping the dye color, green and black, in my motorcycle seats. i've tried several different top coats with no luck. what did you use as a top coat?

On 2/8/2022 at 12:27 PM, Dwight said:

If you first glue about a 3/8 bar of glue up the edge of each piece with Weldwood Contact cement . . . you can then come back every 3/4 of an inch with a bright shiny rivet . . . whole bunch easier and faster than hand sewing . . . and they look pretty darned good too.

May God bless,

Dwight

Yes, great option, but handsewn looks so much cleaner and professional.  Definitely bespoke.

On 8/31/2023 at 2:51 PM, Zonker1972 said:

was this veg tan that you dyed? I have had very bad luck keeping the dye color, green and black, in my motorcycle seats. i've tried several different top coats with no luck. what did you use as a top coat?

Sorry for the delay. I haven't been here in a while. I'm pretty sure I put Resolene on it. You are correct. The weather is beginning to take it's toll on the dye.

i have recently tried to use a couple of different top coats with UV blockers. the experiment is on going but the results looks promising.