Hey Leather Pros, I found an older Nippy Skiver for sale. The seller says it turns freely and is in need of a cleaning. There a couple of screws missing and maybe the guide. They are asking $500 for the head only. Is it a good deal?

Nippy.jpg

@Suncrest - I just bought a skiver yesterday... a Consew DCS-S4.  Brand new, with servo motor, table, light, a bunch of accessories, I paid $1600 Cdn... which is about US$1250.  For a known and popular brand, with warranty.

A quick search turned up a Nippy skiver https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Leather-Cutting-and-Nippy-Skiving-Machine_1600094299793.html?spm=a2700.7724857.normal_offer.d_title.2cb8151dwCwHnG for US$599 but shipping is most probably extra.  This isn't new but reconditioned, but it does come with table and motor.  So my gut says that paying $500 for the head only, without table or servo motor is way too much.

You could probably get a complete skiver used, with table and motor for not much more than that in a much more known and popular brand.

Good luck!

Thanks for your input. I was curious because I had seen a similar Nippy for sale here on leatherworker for $1000. I wondered if they were somehow better than the newer ones.

They say they are Japanese made and are considered much better than the chinese fortuna type clones, but I'm just going off comments on videos etc, no personal experience.