Sign in to follow this  
SewMuchToLearn

Which machine class is a step up from Juki LU-563?

Hello! This forum has been a wealth of information for me (longtime lurker here!) 

I make bags and purses using veg tan, and until now I've haven't used anything heavier than 4-5oz veg tan. I have a Juki LU-563 (bought it used, works great) which I believe is the previous iteration of Juki 1508. The LU-563 has been good for up to 4 layers of 4oz veg tan, but I can tell I'm reaching it's limits with anything heavier (skipped stitches, barely enough space under presser foot.)

I'd like to start working with thicker leathers (6 oz+), so I'm trying to figure out which class of machine to buy. I'm only looking at cylinder arm machines, figuring that I can always add a flatbed attachment if needed.

In terms of what it can sew through, is the next step up from my Juki-LU563 a Juki 341 clone? Or would it be a Juki 441 clone? I know that these are cylinder arm machines and the LU-563 is a flatbed, so it's a bit of apples vs. oranges here, but ignoring that difference, will a Juki 341 clone let me sew much thicker than the Juki LU-563? Or do you recommend that I step up to a Juki 441 clone?

I'm not too worried about brand right now, just trying to figure out the general type of machine I want. But in preparation for that step, is the following correct?

Juki 341 clone = Techsew 2750 = Cobra Class 26 = Cowboy CB341 
Juki 441 clone = Techsew 4100 / 5100 = Cobra Class 3 = Cowboy 3200 4500

Where does the Techsew 4800 fit in?

I looked through the forums but am still confused. Feel free to direct me to any relevant posts that I overlooked.

Thank you!

The CB3200 is a step down from the 4500. It only sews up to 1/2 inch.

I believe that the TS-4800 is similar to the Cobra 26 and Cowboy CB-1341 (aka: 6900).

17 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

The CB3200 is a step down from the 4500. It only sews up to 1/2 inch.

I believe that the TS-4800 is similar to the Cobra 26 and Cowboy CB-1341 (aka: 6900).

Thanks for the info -- I can't figure out how to edit my post above to be more correct. Is there a way?

1 hour ago, SewMuchToLearn said:

Thanks for the info -- I can't figure out how to edit my post above to be more correct. Is there a way?

Not after it times out following your initial posting. I think that time frame is under a half hour. What did you want changed?

20 hours ago, SewMuchToLearn said:

Where does the Techsew 4800 fit in?

The Techsew 2750 and Cowboy CB 341appear to be close clones of the older Juki LS-341 while the Techsew appears to be a close clone of the Juki LS-1342. Techsew appears to have some errors in their thread size ratings as it relates to the size of needle the machines can accommodate.

I did a quick comparison of a couple of machines.

TS 2750                          CB341                             TS4800                       Juki LS-1342
Claimed sewing capacity         1/2" max                          3/8+                             1/2" max                   no info
Needle size                                  18-24                              16-24                             18-24                       16-24
Claimed Thread capacity        v45 - 210                          v46 - 207                       v46 - 277                 v69 - 138
Stroke                                         not listed                         not listed                         36mm                    36mm
Sewing speed                             2000 spm                     2500 spm                         2500 spm             2500 spm
Cylinder arm length                    10.0"                             10.5"                                   10.5"                     255mm (10.03")
cyclinder diameter                           3"                               3"                                          3"                        2.8" (72mm)
pressure foot clearance             5/8"                               1/2+"                                   5/8"                    16mm (5/8+)
max stitch                                   9mm                               8.06mm (3.15/inch)       9mm                      6mm
Tensioner                                    single                              single                                dual                       dual
thread winder                             table                                table                                machine                 machine
feed                                         compound                       compound                       compound              compound
pressor foot climb                      no                                      no                                  yes                          yes

kgg