Catharina

New from France

Hello All,

I am Catharina from France, and looking forward to be part of the leatherworkers. I recently bought a Pfaff545 H3 machine (actually, it was a 546, the needlebar got replaced by a single needle one and one bobbin holder taken out. it still has the double tension system for a two needle machine), it got refurbished and is working absolutely fine. I am slowly getting used to it, as I find it a very impressive machine, it goes very fast, compared with my domestic machines. And is incredibly strong (I will have to watch my fingers!) I have a few scraps of leather to try on for the moment, with different needles. And I am waiting for thread to arrive in different colors.  I am looking forward to make some handbags, wallets and other stuff, and most of all, I would like to make saddlepads, out of felt and leather, and out of felt and a top layer that will be embroidered for shows etc. These last pads will need to be finished with webbing... and as they will be quite thick, it will need to be 2" webbing. And I am going to need a binder attachment for that. But the binder attachments I have found on internet, will only accept less than 7 mm, or about 1/4"........ is there a heavy duty binder out there somewhere? Please let me know if you of one!

From one newbie to another welcome. 

Hello Tequila and Northmount, thanks for the welcome! There is so much information out here, will be busy for quite some time, studying!

Welcome Catharina.    

On 2/10/2022 at 12:33 PM, Catharina said:

But the binder attachments I have found on internet, will only accept less than 7 mm, or about 1/4"........ is there a heavy duty binder out there somewhere?

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple of options. If you a using a single fold binder you maybe able to pry it open slight to get some extra thickness of material through the binder, have a custom binder made which is going to be expensive or adapt a cover stitch binder to work on your machine sort of like what this person done ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF04w4xKpOI ). You did say the width of webbing but not the thickness of the webbing or the thickness of the material you will be edging or you what it to be a single or double fold binder.

kgg

welcome from Wyoming.

Another welcome from the upper left coast!

Google Sequim Washington and you'll see what I mean.

@Catharina Welcome from Western Australia .

I have a Seiko STW-28B,  was also a twin needle, but I only use it as a single needle machine.  I use it for horse rugs, webbing, canvas, wallets, kangaroo hide leather goods.  Your machine should be quite a strong machine . (  I also have  a Pfaff 60)  

Have a look on the ' Sewing Machines ' thread, heaps of good info on there.

HS

Welcome from Kent in the UK. If you're like the rest of us on here you'll love the learning.

13 hours ago, Hags said:

Another welcome from the upper left coast!

Google Sequim Washington and you'll see what I mean.

That looks like a lovely place to live!

9 hours ago, toxo said:

Welcome from Kent in the UK. If you're like the rest of us on here you'll love the learning.

Thank you! Trying to learn as much as I can, as long as I can learn, I live!

9 hours ago, Handstitched said:

@Catharina Welcome from Western Australia .

I have a Seiko STW-28B,  was also a twin needle, but I only use it as a single needle machine.  I use it for horse rugs, webbing, canvas, wallets, kangaroo hide leather goods.  Your machine should be quite a strong machine . (  I also have  a Pfaff 60)  

Have a look on the ' Sewing Machines ' thread, heaps of good info on there.

HS

Thank you, I will, love learning and love learning and certainly about sewing machines. Do you make horse rugs?

15 hours ago, tsunkasapa said:

Welcome from the PNW.

Thank you!

21 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

welcome from Wyoming.

Thanks!

On 2/11/2022 at 5:26 PM, kgg said:

Welcome to the forum. There are a couple of options. If you a using a single fold binder you maybe able to pry it open slight to get some extra thickness of material through the binder, have a custom binder made which is going to be expensive or adapt a cover stitch binder to work on your machine sort of like what this person done ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF04w4xKpOI ). You did say the width of webbing but not the thickness of the webbing or the thickness of the material you will be edging or you what it to be a single or double fold binder.

kgg

Thanks! Lovely video! It is very hard to find folders/binders in France, looking everywhere but no luck yet. No idea where to go to have one made. But maybe prying open a not so expensive one is a good idea. I am in need of a single fold binder, raw edges, not too thick as the webbing is only there to finish the edges of the saddlepad, it shouldn't get too much wear and tear.

If you want to try a inexpensive binder I would search Amazon France for a 2" Single fold binder would. To give you a rough cost the double fold binders in 2" are available in Canada for $15.99.

CKPSMS brand - 1SET #KP-123 Sewing Machine Double Fold Clean Finish Top & Bottom Binding Binder Attachment (Tape Size 2" =50MM) Amazon.ca ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RTJZMK3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 )

Another option is if you know someone with a 3D printer they should be able to print you one if you can't find one.

kgg

Regarding binders - maybe College sewing in the UK has what you need.

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+sewing+Binder+50mm

Not sure what source you have in France but maybe you can check with Zieger in Germany for custom made binders

https://www.np-z.com/sonderbau

Edited by Constabulary

9 hours ago, Catharina said:

Do you make horse rugs?

No, I repair them. I don't  have the space to make them, but I have effectively  fully re-built rugs in  really poor condition.  Theres quite a few horse owners around me, to my advantage :yes: . The machine (was going to be donated, I paid for it in the end, knowing its value),  it was   an opportunity  I couldn't pass up, as theres no-one else that repairs horse rugs . 

HS

On 2/12/2022 at 7:29 PM, kgg said:

If you want to try a inexpensive binder I would search Amazon France for a 2" Single fold binder would. To give you a rough cost the double fold binders in 2" are available in Canada for $15.99.

CKPSMS brand - 1SET #KP-123 Sewing Machine Double Fold Clean Finish Top & Bottom Binding Binder Attachment (Tape Size 2" =50MM) Amazon.ca ( https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07RTJZMK3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 )

Another option is if you know someone with a 3D printer they should be able to print you one if you can't find one.

kgg

Lol, trying to find chinese brands on amazon France is a bit of a problem. There translation is completely of! A binder translates into back of chair, or back of book, bookbinding etc. Looking directy on the Chinese website is easier. I didn't think of a 3D printer, that is a good idea! Thanks!

On 2/12/2022 at 7:31 PM, Constabulary said:

Regarding binders - maybe College sewing in the UK has what you need.

https://www.google.com/search?q=college+sewing+Binder+50mm

Not sure what source you have in France but maybe you can check with Zieger in Germany for custom made binders

https://www.np-z.com/sonderbau

Thanks, precious links!! I may end of writing to Zieger to have one made, as of now, I have not found what I want or need!

On 2/13/2022 at 4:33 AM, Handstitched said:

No, I repair them. I don't  have the space to make them, but I have effectively  fully re-built rugs in  really poor condition.  Theres quite a few horse owners around me, to my advantage :yes: . The machine (was going to be donated, I paid for it in the end, knowing its value),  it was   an opportunity  I couldn't pass up, as theres no-one else that repairs horse rugs . 

HS

Could I ask some questions about repairing horse rugs? I might be able to offer that here in France too..  Maybe talking off Forum?

Welcom on board!

Bienvenue parmi nous m'dame!

4 hours ago, Catharina said:

Could I ask some questions about repairing horse rugs? I might be able to offer that here in France too..  Maybe talking off Forum?

I'd start a new thread.  Probably in the forum "How Do I Do That?"  There is a forum Saddles and Tack, but doesn't feel like the right place to me, though I don't think anyone would complain too much about it.  Take your pick.

18 hours ago, Catharina said:

Could I ask some questions about repairing horse rugs?

By all means, you're welcome to ask . Thats what this forum is here to do.   :) :)

Although, you may try a new thread like Northmount suggested. 

13 hours ago, Northmount said:

"How Do I Do That?"

But I wonder if horse rugs could be considered as a form of 'tack' ?  They are an integral part of horse care/ownership ? And,  some rugs do have leather components.  But thats for another discussion on another thread  :)

HS

Welcome from BOSTON 

On 2/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, paloma said:

Welcom on board!

Bienvenue parmi nous m'dame!

Oh, another Frenchie!! Merci beaucoup! Joli travail sur ton blog!

11 hours ago, Samalan said:

Welcome from BOSTON 

Thank you!

On 2/16/2022 at 7:06 AM, Handstitched said:

By all means, you're welcome to ask . Thats what this forum is here to do.   :) :)

Although, you may try a new thread like Northmount suggested. 

But I wonder if horse rugs could be considered as a form of 'tack' ?  They are an integral part of horse care/ownership ? And,  some rugs do have leather components.  But thats for another discussion on another thread  :)

HS

Ok, I'll start another thread, maybe in tack as you suggested, because they really are part of the horse care and ownership! Thanks!