Selvune

Hello & new from central Indiana

Good afternoon everyone. My name is Jeff and I live just outside of Indianapolis.   I recently made some changes in night life and I am looking to find a new hobby over sitting on my butt watching TV after the kids go to bed, or maybe doing the hobby while watching TV.  I previously was into miniature table top gaming with painted miniatures, but COVID closing stores and my son losing interest, I thought I might take a dabble into the world of leather.  Hoping to pick up some beginner tools tomorrow morning and start with some basic work.  Any advice or suggestions on tools/templates will always be appreciated, but fairly sure the internet has the list I need.  My thought was to start out making wallets, bracelets and key chains, but nothing overly fancy.  I have spent quite a while on sites like this (lurking) as well as watching Youtube videos.  Hoping I enjoy the craft.    I did find a local "leather club" (no, not that kind haha), but they haven't updated their website since early 2020, so not sure if they even exist anymore

Have a GREAT day and a GREAT weekend.

Welcome.  Check out 

Landwerlen Leather Company

landwerlen-leather-co.business.site
365 S Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46225      Great place.  Near Lucus and Union Station.

Welcome! Plenty of info here.

G'Day Selvune ,

Welcome to the world of leather  :) :) Heaps of good peeps on here  from beginners to experienced  that are happy to help.

HS

Welcome from the UK. You've started something now. :o But I know you'll enjoy the ride.

welcome from wunerful Wyoming! 

Thank you everyone and thank you Scoutmom 103.  This is a little closer to me than the Tandy leather shop on the west side.

I went out yesterday and bought some tools and leather to work.  Would have started yesterday but my other craft (beer) had a big tasting happening, so didn't think sharp tools would be wise :)

YW.  I love Landwerlen's.  It's like stepping back in time, and they are very friendly and helpful.   They are a bit of a drive for me, but worth it.

Hi from France! Newbie here too!

Welcome Selvune . . . as the Navy says . . . glad to have you aboard.  

One of the quickest projects you can do . . .  and one that will bring some personal satisfaction . . . go to a leather craft store . . . and purchase a good looking belt blank . . . 1 1/2 wide.

Buy a buckle you like . . .  and don't buy a cheap one . . . get one you will be proud to wear.

Tell the guy you want to tool the belt . . . you'll need a swivel knife and a half dozen tools to complete the job . . . and you need the pattern template for it.

Check out youtube for advice . . . lots of good stuff out there . . . and even watching the goofballs . . . you will learn something . . . even if it is WHAT NOT TO DO .

It'll take you several days . . . you'll have to find a solid place in your house where you can tool without waking the entire household . . . 

You'll have to take it out in the garage to dye it . . . and add the finish . . .  use Resolene for the finish . . . 

Once you are done . . . you can wear that belt for years on top of years . . . and every time you hook your thumbs in it . . . you can be proud of your work.

I have one of mine from over 40 years ago . . . I still wear it occasionally . . . still proud of my amateur work I did then.

May God bless,

Dwight

1 hour ago, Dwight said:

Welcome Selvune . . . as the Navy says . . . glad to have you aboard.  

One of the quickest projects you can do . . .  and one that will bring some personal satisfaction . . . go to a leather craft store . . . and purchase a good looking belt blank . . . 1 1/2 wide.

Buy a buckle you like . . .  and don't buy a cheap one . . . get one you will be proud to wear.

Tell the guy you want to tool the belt . . . you'll need a swivel knife and a half dozen tools to complete the job . . . and you need the pattern template for it.

Check out youtube for advice . . . lots of good stuff out there . . . and even watching the goofballs . . . you will learn something . . . even if it is WHAT NOT TO DO .

It'll take you several days . . . you'll have to find a solid place in your house where you can tool without waking the entire household . . . 

You'll have to take it out in the garage to dye it . . . and add the finish . . .  use Resolene for the finish . . . 

Once you are done . . . you can wear that belt for years on top of years . . . and every time you hook your thumbs in it . . . you can be proud of your work.

I have one of mine from over 40 years ago . . . I still wear it occasionally . . . still proud of my amateur work I did then.

May God bless,

Dwight

Thanks for the advice.  I did go to a leather craft store, however I picked up leather and a template for a wallet, not a belt.  Might need to go back and do that as well.  I bought a extremely discounted piece of leather and have been practicing cutting the leather, burnishing, beveling, etc.  So far it has been fun and I hope to buy a better quality piece of leather to actually make a wallet (or belt :) ) that I might actually use. 

Thanks again for all the advice.

Edited by Selvune

4 hours ago, Selvune said:

Thanks for the advice.  I did go to a leather craft store, however I picked up leather and a template for a wallet, not a belt.  Might need to go back and do that as well.  I bought a extremely discounted piece of leather and have been practicing cutting the leather, burnishing, beveling, etc.  So far it has been fun and I hope to buy a better quality piece of leather to actually make a wallet (or belt :) ) that I might actually use. 

Thanks again for all the advice.

Wallets are good too . . . in the storeroom of my "goodies" I have a billfold made by my biological father . . . 

It is the only attachment I ever had to him . . .  sometimes just get it out and hold it . . . wonder where all it went . . . all the conversations it heard . . . 

They can become special keepsakes . . . not sure anyone keeps a PVC purse or billfold. 

Put yourself into your leather work . . .  it is a way of sharing yourself with others.

I have one wallet customer . . . I know he remembers me every now and then . . . his daughter had bought him a "different" tri fold billfold some 20 years or so before . . .  and it was just about done . . . flat out falling apart.  He looked all over trying to find one like it . . .  finally wound up in a Tandy store one day when I happened to be there . . .  the store manager sent him to me . . .  telling him they didn't have completed billfolds . . .  but I could make him one.

He kinda looked at me dumbfounded when I told him I'd need the old one for a pattern . . . but he emptied it up . . . put the stuff in his pockets . . .  offered to pay me whatever I wanted if I would make him one like it.  I did . . . sent it to him a couple weeks later . . . off in Pennsylvania somewhere.  Got a letter back from him . . .  he was tickled pink.  

Those are the moments that make life an enjoyable experience . . . leatherwork included.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

On 2/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, Scoutmom103 said:

Welcome.  Check out 

Landwerlen Leather Company

landwerlen-leather-co.business.site
365 S Illinois St, Indianapolis, IN 46225      Great place.  Near Lucus and Union Station.

I went by the shop last Friday.  Super friendly people.  The shop was a lot larger then I expected.  Thanks for the suggestion.