Adonis

My Leather Sap 6 3/4" impact weapon, Slapjacks, sap, blackjack, baton device

I wanted a slapjack and I could not find anything nice in Canada, so I decided to build my own SAP. It turned out pretty nice and a nice piece of art.

The head is filled with molded lead weight, and the body has a piece of spring steel melted to the lead slug (Total weight 225 gram) Length 6 3/4". This Leather Sap is constructed of 3 layers of durable, heavy gauge 8-9 oz leather. 
The device is too stiff and has a bit of flex, which helps it make a nice slapping thud when it hits a table or similarly hard surface. 
It's an old and somewhat nostalgic design.

Used leather: MILLED VEG-TAN SHOULDERS 8oz-9oz. This premium milled veg-tanned leather. The milling process, which produces the supple feel, also produces a prominent grain giving your finished items a look of elegance.
il_794xN.3667034166_f20o.jpg

il_1140xN.3662283984_drkw.jpg

IMG_4067.JPG

Edited by Adonis

Very cool...Neat design..

The sap is on my list, with lead shot for the fill.

I might have to take the route that you have and melt down the lead and add as piece of spring steel for a stiffener.

Thanks for sharing!

Hello bruce

If you decided to melt the lead, do not forget to melt the lead while the spring is inserted in your lead mold, if not it won't be as solid

Peace

I recently ran an add on craigslist and found 10# of mixed bird shot for $2 a lb. I plan on using it to make weights,  but a sap may be cool. I just didn't want a 25# bag of it and dont reload anymore. Very pretty, much more like the ones I remember the police carrying in the 60s and 70s.

Nice job!, guess Canadians have no legality worries lol! Mines a zippered coin purse $3.75 in US coins with a line 24 snap to fold in half and snap together to slide your belt through.  

2 hours ago, Sanch said:

Nice job!, guess Canadians have no legality worries lol!

I have thought of carrying one myself but my own limited investigation is that in Canada you can own one but and it is a big but if you use one on a dirt bag to protect yourself you maybe charged with Assault with a Weapon, Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to the Public Peace and / or Possession of a Concealed Weapon. Then the dirt bag if you are convicted will probably sue you. Where as simple weapons of opportunity like a pencil / pen / keys maybe treated differently. Choose wisely before carrying as the law tends to be on the side of the dirt bags.

kgg

19 hours ago, kgg said:

I have thought of carrying one myself but my own limited investigation is that in Canada you can own one but and it is a big but if you use one on a dirt bag to protect yourself you maybe charged with Assault with a Weapon, Possession of a Weapon Dangerous to the Public Peace and / or Possession of a Concealed Weapon. Then the dirt bag if you are convicted will probably sue you. Where as simple weapons of opportunity like a pencil / pen / keys maybe treated differently. Choose wisely before carrying as the law tends to be on the side of the dirt bags.

kgg

Lol I like that "simple weapons of opportunity"  I can see it now "no your honor I never intended to bludgeon him so severely but the tin of cream corn was all I had to protect myself with" 

the legality is all in the wording

These are Tire thumpers, used to check air pressure in tires, they are legal to carry in your pocket {I would caution you to have a vehicle near by}

002.JPG.3bbcf812b2810eb7182180e3aead5ca4.JPG

These are saps, brain bashers, weapons, ETC.  They are illegal to possess or carry on your person

003.thumb.JPG.de07bc2604f21549c1dd93a27a1feb78.JPG

I would think these ones with a zipper would be prone to break open when in use. I can't see the zipper taking any kind of abuse.:dunno: