Hi everyone, 

I have recently started my leather journey making bags and wallets. I am now feeling the itch for a leather splitter with a long knife to be able to make wallets out of the leather I use to make bags. This would help me minimise inventory and save $ in the long term. I know that some people recommend just buying the required thickness, unfortunately most leather suppliers where I live in Australia do not split on request (let me know if you know a place that does that in Australia). 

I have searched for reviews for the Cowboy 8020 or Techsew SP-20 but can not find anything apart from videos coming form the dealers themselves. I know someone on this forum has already asked the same question about 4 years ago but no one was able to give a first hand review or impression for it. I am hoping that some people would have bought the machine since then and could give us their impression.

These machines are quite costly and I am worried that they require too much maintenance for the average Joe without much sharpening skill.

I know the Cobra class 14 receives a lot of praise but I am hoping to get a splitter with a larger knife. Plus here in Australia, the cobra class 14 is dearer than the cowboy 8020 despite its shorter blade.

Thanks for your insight.

Edited by TjcGoods

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I've got 2 friends who have the Cowboy/techsew splitter and it works well for them.  One is a general leathergoods maker doing wallets, EDC type stuff and the other a full time saddler and both say it works for what they do, however the saddler has his eye open for a larger band knife splitter for the larger work.

I have a bandknife splitter and love it as I am not limited to firmer veg tan leather and can split anything I need to. 

Where are you located?  There may be a few guys around - myself included - who can split things for you in the interim whilst you research splitters.   

Thanks,

Jason

Hi Jason, 

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

I am located in the Melbourne, appreciate the offer to split leather in the interim. SA might be a bit far though :)

Would you know by any chance if your friends often have to service their machine/blade? Would also love to know how they do it. If it is low or high maintenance for someone without sharpening experience.

In this video, Terrick from Chartermade shows that he had to make some tweaks to his blade (fast forward to 5:00). Making his own knives, he is also very proficient in blade sharpening. The cowboy 8020 has an even longer blade.

Cheers!

On fixed blade splitters it is common to get someone with the right sharpening gear to sharpen them up when you need it. Having 2 blades is the best way to go if you can so that you are not held up when the other is being sharpened. I will see if I can find out about the double hollow grind and who is capable of doing it and get back to you. I have a couple of band knife splitters myself but am up in the Rockhampton area. If you check with Lefflers they may be able to tell you of someone close by that can split for you. Texon Australia may know someone as well.

@TjcGoods I dug up some info on the 8020 leather splitter and the blade sharpening. I talked to owners of Cowboy Australia and found out where they get their blades sharpened. Unlike some dealers they DO get them sharpened up before they send them to the buyer. What I have to say is that if you want to get thin soft done then forget it as that will not happen well. A second blade will set you back $250 from them. The person to speak to who sharpens the blades for them is Doug Timbs (0419678571). Doug is also a fellow leather worker and knife maker as well based in Toowoomba. (Nice bloke). He charges $40.00 on these long ones and $20.00 on any of the shorter ones I believe. If it can work for you a shorter version may be better as they can run a bit truer in thickness. Some models do NOT split well and Doug can explain that better if you want to call him.

Thanks RockyAussie, sorry for the delay. Great info there. I was able to have a chat with Doug. Glad to know there is someone that does this in the country! Never considered that a longer blade might not run as true, but this would makes sense. Too bad Cowboy Australia doesn't have a splitter in between the 6" (a bit too small) and the 20" (a little too big). I am aware the cobra class 14 exists, and seems like a great machine, unfortunately a bit out of reach financially for me at the moment.

3 hours ago, TjcGoods said:

Thanks RockyAussie, sorry for the delay. Great info there. I was able to have a chat with Doug. Glad to know there is someone that does this in the country! Never considered that a longer blade might not run as true, but this would makes sense. Too bad Cowboy Australia doesn't have a splitter in between the 6" (a bit too small) and the 20" (a little too big). I am aware the cobra class 14 exists, and seems like a great machine, unfortunately a bit out of reach financially for me at the moment.

Honestly....save up a bit and get yourself a bell skiver. You can use them well enough for splitting when you need to and you also then have the advantage of being able to do skived edges way quicker and easier than mucking about doing it by hand. I am doing up a manual at the moment for the new Cowboy version here in Australia and that will also come with a few " How To videos" which will assist new owners on how to use these machines. If you want to have a talk pm me a message and I will give you a call. If you check this old video I did awhile back you can see a little on how you can use a bell skiver to split leather down.-