I'm going to be doing a purse for a lady this spring . . . probably some floral carving on the front and inside the flap.

I want to use a soft finish . . . nothing like Resolene  . . . and I'll actually fold and bend the veggie tan leather so it is very pliable for her . . . 

There will not be any colorizations at this point . . . just stamping and mabye . . . maybe . . .  a little antiquing . . . 

Just need to keep the Saddle Tan stain from rubbing off on everything.

Thanks, may God bless,

Dwight

Just a refresh . . . maybe y'all missed the question

Dwight,

I was waiting for someone more smarterific than me to answer.  I like Tan Kote.  I think more threads will get missed, though.  With the addition (or expansion) of the upcoming events column, it reduces the size of the Topics column (recent activity).  JM2C

Jim

PS.. This will give you another bump so someone else with more experience can chime in. 

what's the question -- what finish to use?

I use tan-kote on most carved bags - have for years.  there's a "bag-kote" as well, though I have not personally used it and don't know just what the difference is (if any).  These "bags" were done with tan-kote (after dyes and a light neatsfoot).  Satin finish, little to no glare and remains flexible. The pics aren't to scale... the binders were actually a bit larger than the handbag.  This bag was DYED ONLY (no tooling) with an old STohlman design, and the binders were FULL TOOLED, dyed (Fiebings), buffed, then tan-kote.

But you shouldn't be getting stain "rubbing off", and I wouldn't be trying to prevent it with any finish.  BUFF the color until it's no longer "rubbing off" BEFORE applying any finish.

WOrth mentioning, you might want to go pick up some tan-kote if you decide to use it.  If it sits on a UPS truck today it will FREEZE and be RUINED - no good once it freezes.

Troy.jpgAIR9.jpgcharge.jpg

Interested in learning more about flexible sealants for tack.  I've had issues with Tan Kote discoloring the thread on stained items.  Maybe I should apply it before sewing?  Does anyone have experience with the Fenice water based Top Coat finishes?   https://campbell-randall.com/product/ar6450t-clear-matt-plus-top-coat-1-liter  I've been impressed with Fenice Colorfast Dye as an edge finish that burnishes nicely.

I really like this finish from Bee Natural. I have used their line of products for years. From my work boots to my buckskins and most of my leather projects.

This particular one is quite similar to Fiebing's Leather Balm, but without the 'bubble' issue.

Leather Finish - 8oz (beenaturalleathercare.com)

I picked up some Smith's leather balm and am really digging it. It is no sealant though but more of a conditioner. I have no idea how it'll handle rub-off from antique though.

Thanks, everyone . . . got some stuff to try now . . . never used Tan Kote . . .  it is on my shopping list.

May God bless,

Dwight