Catharina

Horse blankets repair

The reason why they use this stitch is on the backside of your stitch you gather up double amount of webbing with one stitch, he is a link but i would not recommend using your stitching awl as it may tear and cut (slice) into the webbing use a a scratch awl or another needle of the same size on your thread.

Hope this helps

JCUK 

Edited by jcuk

@jcuk I checked today, and I could see that on a Stübben saddle we have it is clearly made with a backstitch. But on one of the other saddles (can't remember which one) it really looked as though it was a machine sewn job.

I can see the idea in the backstitch, so I'll just use that one in the future. 
When I repaired the last saddle, I made the holes in the leather first and then just wiggled the needles through the fabric without using an awl for that. 

Brgds Jonas

25 minutes ago, Mulesaw said:

@jcuk I checked today, and I could see that on a Stübben saddle we have it is clearly made with a backstitch. But on one of the other saddles (can't remember which one) it really looked as though it was a machine sewn job.

I can see the idea in the backstitch, so I'll just use that one in the future. 
When I repaired the last saddle, I made the holes in the leather first and then just wiggled the needles through the fabric without using an awl for that. 

Brgds Jonas

This is what they use to punch the stitch marks, before i had one i use an old billet for a template it is probably a fore runner for a stitching chisel as opposed to a pricking iron. 

https://www.abbeyengland.com/economy-strap-pricker-13-3-8-7-35mm-g--s--pricker

Hope this helps 

JCUK

12 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

I checked today, and I could see that on a Stübben saddle we have it is clearly made with a backstitch. But on one of the other saddles (can't remember which one) it really looked as though it was a machine sewn job.

Perfectly possible, I guess it depends on the saddle makers idea of quality. After all, the machine-stitched one seems to have held as well, otherwise you would have told us.

9 minutes ago, Klara said:

Perfectly possible, I guess it depends on the saddle makers idea of quality. After all, the machine-stitched one seems to have held as well, otherwise you would have told us.

So far I haven't seen any saddles where the stitching was the problem, but I am not a professional saddle maker, so I don't see that many different saddles everyday :-)

To me it seems as the problem is that the holes in the leather straps become elongated and finally break through, or some of the straps delaminate if they are made out of two pieces glued together.