BFaehn

Sewing machine help

I'm looking to buy a heavier duty sewing machine for bags and smaller leather projects but don't know anything about them. I won't be doing any heavy duty leather sewing. Nothing over 5-6 ounce leather. Trying not to break the bank but also don't want to buy junk either. Any recommendations?

No but thank you so much

7 hours ago, BFaehn said:

I won't be doing any heavy duty leather sewing. Nothing over 5-6 ounce leather. Trying not to break the bank but also don't want to buy junk either. Any recommendations?

If you are buying new buy a Brand Name like Juki, Adler, PFAFF. The brand name machines will hold their value and command a higher resale price then a clone. If you are looking for a:

i) Flatbed machine I would recommend a Juki DNU-1541S ~ $1800 US compound feed first then maybe a Juki 1181N ~ $1400 US would probably do the job but it is only a walking foot machine.

ii) Cylinder Bed machine I would recommend a Juki LS-1341 ~ $3800 US

iii) If space is a consideration maybe a portable walking foot machine like Sailrite LSZ-1 ~$1000 (basic model) or the Reliable Barracuda ~$600

I would still recommend you visiting a dealer with a sample of your stuff and try a couple of machines.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

17 hours ago, kgg said:

If you are buying new buy a Brand Name like Juki, Adler, PFAFF. The brand name machines will hold their value and command a higher resale price then a clone. If you are looking for a:

i) Flatbed machine I would recommend a Juki DNU-1541S ~ $1800 US compound feed first then maybe a Juki 1181N ~ $1400 US would probably do the job but it is only a walking foot machine.

iii) If space is a consideration maybe a portable walking foot machine like Sailrite LSZ-1 ~$1000 (basic model) or the Reliable Barracuda ~$600

I would still recommend you visiting a dealer with a sample of your stuff and try a couple of machines.

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

Thank you so much for the great recommendations. So e of those are ones I was looking at so that is a good start.

On 2/19/2022 at 12:09 AM, kgg said:

Buy Once, Cry Once

kgg

I found this machine for sale in a town close to me. Its just too big for her space. K ow anything of this machine and is it a good price? 

Screenshot_20220226-171403_Facebook.jpg

5 hours ago, BFaehn said:

I found this machine for sale in a town close to me. Its just too big for her space. K ow anything of this machine and is it a good price?

This is a high speed needle feed machine made for fabric and the max size needle is a #18 needle for a max size thread of V69. For me the major downfall with any machine having electronics is the electronics as I like to to keep my machines very basic mechanical machines. If the electronics goes out it is going to be expensive to repair, if you can get the parts. This machine is missing the pressor foot, needle feed dog, cover plate and probably more. To me the price is way over priced for a fixer upper that will not do leather.

kgg

I agree with kgg about electronics and sewing machines, the only electronics on mine are the servos. They tend to be pretty reliable but they are simple and relatively inexpensive to replace.

And yes, that's not the type of machine you need.

On 2/27/2022 at 1:16 AM, dikman said:

I agree with kgg about electronics and sewing machines, the only electronics on mine are the servos. They tend to be pretty reliable but they are simple and relatively inexpensive to replace.

And yes, that's not the type of machine you need.

Thank you both so much for your input!! I truly appreciate it.