AzShooter

New Briefcase To Hold My Pistol

I've been playing a lot more with my guns and want to protect them.  Last month I made a new shooting bag.  This month I'm working on a briefcase to store just the gun.  I'm using "The Art Of Making Leather Cases" by Al Stohlman as a pattern with a few modifications to get the right size.

What a horrible piece of leather I started with.  Lots of character I guess with the branding mark and the bar wire lines across it.  I put the brand on the bottom but the bar wire lines go across the entire bag.

I normally use Tan dye but I chose Chocolate for this project.  I wanted to get it darker to hide some of the markings.  

This is after it's first dye session.  I'll probably dye it at least once more and then I'll use some leather preservative I bought from Tandy.  When I went to bend the leather for the sides the leather started to crack.  The perservative.  I believe it' mink oil, is to restore some softness so that the bends won't crack any more.

I dyed the inside as well but the biggest thing is I have rubber cushions that are designed for gun bags, that will fit inside to protect the gun.  The bag is 3 inches thick and I have a 2 inch bottom cushion and 2 inch in the top.  

I haven't started on the handle yet and I'm waiting for the clasp to come in any day now.

More pictures will follow as the project gets closer to being finished.

Thanks for looking. Comments are always welcome.

After dying Chocholate.jpg

41 minutes ago, AzShooter said:

What a horrible piece of leather I started with.  Lots of character I guess with the branding mark and the bar wire lines across it.  I put the brand on the bottom but the bar wire lines go across the entire bag.

As long as I'm not carving it, I love working brands and scars. That's character!