BurkhillLeather

Gun Holsters for Beginners.

Alright i'm wanting to get into making holster for guns.   So what is your advice to making them and do you need a Gun blank or can you wrap up the owners gun to fit the leather around?

1 hour ago, BurkhillLeather said:

do you need a Gun blank or can you wrap up the owners gun to fit the leather around

either way works fine.  WIth the actual gun, just be sure to wipe it / let it dry and use some general maintenance oil when done.

SOMEWHERE around here is a BUNCH of pdfs about making holsters... I uploaded 'em, just don't know exactly whereta find em.  And Jim Simmons has a great read in the holster section - it's showing revolvers but the idea works across the board. ;)

And I wouldn't want to be responsible for a customers firearm.

If i own the firearm needed for holster im making then i wrap with cling wrap or ziplock bag. And oil and clean after molding is done with no problems. On custom orders requiring firearms i dont have i just spend the 45 bucks at holstersmith.com and buy the blue guns. I might use a friends gun or a family members but never a outside customer. To much liability. Then it also depends on if your making made to fit molded holsters or doing more basic shape rigs. Cause if not going for that molded tight fit ive had customers to trace there pistol as close as possible and mail it to me and make a prop from cardboard or wood. Works fine on basic shaped holsters. And allmost every firearm known to man has a spec sheet online where you can get exact sizes and dimensions. So if your pretty handy making some basic props is pretty easy speacially for most newer semi-auto pistols since there all squared L shapes.

I only have 4 model guns. I have used the customers for just about all of my builds. I use plastic wrap to wet mold then as JLS says, I wipe it down very well. The customer knows this is how I do it, so no surprises and I think they like the fact that I fit the holster to THE VERY GUN it's being made for.  As for leaving the gun with me? I have a safe I keep them in, and the customer comes to my house to drop it off so he knows where it is. I dont do this as a business per se but as a busy hobby. If someone really wants me to build a rig but lives far away, I'll up my price a little and order the blue gun (my fav) if one is available. The customers are surprisingly fine with this. I'm pretty sure I have jls' pdfs on holster design if you need them, send me a message. They worked great for me and is the method I use.

This may sound silly  . . . it is not meant to be.

Buy a piece Herman Oak or Wickett and Craig . . . 8 oz leather  . . .  1/2 a square foot.  Cut it down the middle . . .  contact cement the pieces together . . . scribe a line 1/8 inch from the edge all the way around . . . get some 277 or 346 thread . . . couple needles . . . saddle stitch it all the way around.

Then buy a 1 sq ft of 7 oz W&C or HO . . . cut it in 4 lengthwise pieces . . . glue 2 of em together  . . . flesh to flesh . . .  then glue them together . . . hair side to hair side . . . so you have a stack of 4 pieces of 7 oz.  Scribe it 1/8 of an inch around . . . saddle stitch it all the way around.

If you pass both of those tests . . .  you may do alright . . . if not . . . you need to go to floral carving and give up holsters . . . or practice on your sewing . . . 

The two 8 oz represent many holsters you will make . . . the 4 7 oz are for some of the lined holsters you may make.

Personally I have several thousand dollars invested in sewing machines . . .  and if I had to sew holsters by hand . . . I'd be floral carving purses starting next weeks.

But on the outside . . . welcome aboard . . . have fun . . . ask quesions . . . we'll see what we can do to help you.

May God bless,

Dwight