WifesLeatherGuy

Antique issues

1 hour ago, WifesLeatherGuy said:

Fiebings resist and mahogany antique

I've tried 3 times and each time the antique turns pale. What am I doing wrong?

need more info. 

Pics?  Did you BUFF the dried ant-streak?

The antique won't color the leather if you used the resist. All it does is stay in the deeper impressions. If you want it to color the leather you need to apply it without the resist.

I applied the resist to the entire piece. It wiped off nice and looks good otherwise. The tooling marks looked good initially but in the morning the color turned pale.

I let the resist dry completely before applying the antique. What other information can I provide to help better understand?

I rubbed in the antique in all directions and in a circular motion. After removing the antique I did not buff yet. 

8 minutes ago, WifesLeatherGuy said:

Any advice would be great.

My advice is dump the ant-streak, clean out the jar, and use it as a pencil cup on your desk.

Just a couple of thoughts;

1. are you really loading it on? not just a wee bit on a cloth and rubbing it on?

2. it sounds a bit like its soaking into the leather, so its density of colour is weakened. Perhaps another, really heavy coating,  will improve it

7 minutes ago, fredk said:

it sounds a bit like its soaking into the leather,

But if he used the resist, it shouldn't be able to soak in.

The antique gel I use can get through several coats of a 'resist'. On my game boards I have to put on five / 5 coats of resist to stop the antique staining the squares. Even then the top layer of the resist is stained. I clean off most of the resist back to clean leather then varnish again.  Its because both the antique and resist both have the same base carrier; the antique dissolves the resist slightly.

I think the OP is not putting on enough resist

Perhaps, but I have never had the antique color the resist. I know that the resist is supposed to be stirred, perhaps it wasn't stirred enough? I just shake it up good. 

I use to use antiquing all wrong.  I'd put it on before the layer of Resolene they put the Resolene on over the antiquing.

I've since learned to do the art work, dye my project and when it's dry I add the antiquing.  I let it sit for about 10 minutes and then wipe it off.  It's a big improvement on my work.

Thank you everyone for the advice. I don't think I shook the resist. Also I've watched videos where the person applied the resist over everything and in the cuts... And I've seen videos where the person is very careful to only hit the high spots.  Is this just a difference in products being used? I tried to only hit the high spots but I failed in some spots. I would assume the resist should not be in the cuts... 

I cover EVERYTHING. The antique will only stay in the impressions. And I let it sit for maybe 10 minutes. Here is a Christmas card I did, and then antiqued. This was Sheridan brown. But I do oil the leather before the resist. This will darken the leather a little, or a lot, depending on how heavy you do it. After several hours, preferably overnight, THEN I do the resist and then the antique.

HH2.jpg

WifesLeatherGuy sent me pics that I have resized. I have never seen anything like it. Perhaps the resist was too heavy? Perhaps not dry enough? Not stirred/shaken enough? Anybody else have an idea?

20220222_183812aaa.jpg

processed-170c21cf-c79a-4596-9e90-4a42a67c69c9_tETHzM62bbb.jpg

processed-093955a4-2b4b-41c5-81ae-a1f8defde971_Vp3Kfw4Qccc.jpg

processed-b2620f75-d597-4b92-b1c6-ee399ce75a47_QYi3RPwAddd.jpg

Bump Trying to keep this going to see if someone can help the OP.

That is crazy.  All of the impressions should be much darker than the rest.  I would try another application of the antique...but this time, really rub it into every nook and cranny, then let it sit for a spell.  If that doesn't work, and you want the impressions darker, you may have to get out a tiny paint brush and apply a darker dye.  That will be a lot of work, but you will be able to salvage the piece.  Good luck.

Yeah, it doesn't really look like it has been antiqued. I've seen that white stuff on my antique when I haven't used it in a long time but it has never done that on the work, just in the jar. I'd reapply heavily and then wipe it off with a paper towel and let it dry.

My guess is either it´s the tanning, or the leather was too dry when applying the sealer.

Also, i never wait so long as to the next day if i seal a piece and colour it as well. For me, i wet the entire leather, let it dry enough to stamp, seal the stamped parts...let it dry an hour tops, then cover it all in antique and wipe it dry. Have never had an issue.

Oh... did you stamp the patterns after you added the sealer or before?