Selvune

Training/Apprentiship

I am EXTREMELY new to leatherworking and just getting started.  I have been searching for classes around my local area (Indianapolis area) and really only found Saturday morning classes at the Tandy store, which seem a little more advanced to what I am looking for and more around carving and other things that I am not even close to being ready to do at my skill level.  Even checked out one of the art studios in Broadripple that I know does pottery and woodworking, but to know avail around leather. I am turning to this group to see if you have any recommendations on classes to take or even if there might be local leather workers that would take time (I am willing to pay) to help me get down the basics.  I am reading several books and have watched 100s of videos, but I am really a hands on person and learn best by watching someone else do it, then try while they watch and tell me what I am doing wrong (or maybe even right).  If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.  Maybe clubs around town where people get together to talk and could get advise there.  I am willing to travel a little distance.  The only constraint I have is I work a full time job from 8 to 5 m-f and occasionally have family events on the weekends and Sunday mornings are out during the school year.  All comments and suggestions are even appreciated, even if the answers is no, there is nowhere or no one to help.  I do have a lot of vacation banked at work, so I could take time off from time to time if that would be an option.  Thank you for any responses you have and have a great evening or morning or afternoon...depending on where you live.

TO THE MODERATORS: IF I SHOULD HAVE POSTED SOMEWHERE ELSE, PLEASE LET ME KNOW SO I CAN DELETE AND MOVE.

You just need to pick a project, watch a video, and get going! You will mess up, no shame, part of the game. Stop worrying and start making. You'll love it and you'll  get better fast. You dont want to see my first holster! 

2 hours ago, Selvune said:

I am EXTREMELY new to leatherworking and just getting started.  I have been searching for classes around my local area (Indianapolis area) and really only found Saturday morning classes at the Tandy store, which seem a little more advanced to what I am looking for and more around carving and other things that I am not even close to being ready to do at my skill level. . . .

Go back to that Tandy store. Be brave; tell 'em you're only a raw beginner and ask them to show you what you need to know. 

I've been doing a lot of different leather projects lately that I would say were above my skill level.  For each one I was able to go to Tandy and ask questions along the way.  I wish they had classes but  they just started one, the instructor left and they haven't started them again yet.

I intend to go to the class and learn everything I can.  Give it a try.  You may be surprised at how good you will get.

My grandfather worked for Tandy from the early 40’s -60’s and then moved on to teach the craft at the Texas A&I university, now A&M. I was lucky enough to end up with some very unique and informative learning material. Some Tandy doesn’t have. I use some of my stuff when I’m instructing courses here at our local Tandys and folks tend to catch on fairly quickly. The older books to me are the way to learn. The way it was laid out before us. Learn the tradition and history of the craft, then take it your direction. If the older books can’t be found, the absolute best way to teach yourself is a sub to the Leather Crafter and saddlers journal. It’s worth it to order every back issue they have. Been getting it since it launched. Try it out. 

Before you join anyone or anything have a look at what they're making and decide if you like it, because they will teach you how to make that sort of thing.

There are different types of leatherworking.  Feels like in America for example there's a lot of focus on horse tack, holsters, western gear, saddlebacks and everything that comes with it: tooling and carving, heavy veg tan, antiquing, dying and burnishing edges, heavy threads, all that sort of thing.

But if you sit with one of those European teachers (mostly online these days) they will teach you to roll, paint and crease the edges, slanted stitching, linen threads, colourful and soft shrunken calf chrome tan, exotic exteriors, skiving everything down to nothing, until ultimately after a few years everything you make must look as close as possible to Hermes.

Basically, between those two schools of leatherworking, the only thing in common is the glue (not really but you get my point: they are very different).

And then of course you have a bunch of other people who are everything in between.  

Whoever is teaching, ask to see their work first.  It's important, you might not like it.

Edited by Spyros

I'd do (I did go) with Hags's advice: Decide what you want to make, find instructions for it on YouTube (oe elsewhere) and muddle through.

If you want to handsew, Al Stohlman's book is the best, imho. It won't tell you what you are doing wrong, but the instructions are so precise (much more detailed than I have seen anywhere else) that you'll most probably be able to figure it out yourself. 

6 hours ago, Garyak said:

My grandfather worked for Tandy from the early 40’s -60’s and then moved on to teach the craft at the Texas A&I university, now A&M. I was lucky enough to end up with some very unique and informative learning material. Some Tandy doesn’t have. I use some of my stuff when I’m instructing courses here at our local Tandys and folks tend to catch on fairly quickly. The older books to me are the way to learn. The way it was laid out before us. Learn the tradition and history of the craft, then take it your direction. If the older books can’t be found, the absolute best way to teach yourself is a sub to the Leather Crafter and saddlers journal. It’s worth it to order every back issue they have. Been getting it since it launched. Try it out. 

That's a great legacy.  Would love to see your book collection.  This publisher produced some gems about tack and harness making.  https://www.museumofthehorse.org/j-a-allen-the-horsemans-booksho/

The lyf so short 

the Craft so long

to lerne .     Gustave Stickle

Just do it, Learn as you go. and have fun!        

learn as you go!! I second that and have fun. There are tons of patterns out there for about any type of leather work you find interesting. Start with those they take most of the guess work out of the hardest part.

there was a class couple times a week at the tandy in Des Moines, IA  - dont know if they're still doing that or not, new manager (which is good, that guy was a JERK).

but I has there in teh store when one class was going on, and honestly it looked like you could save time  by just tearing up the registration fee in cash and going about your business.  VERY remedial, clearly intended to sell the members some tandy stuff, like "oh, you'll need this and this and this for the class, but you don't have to buy it, it's included in your class fee" and then "by the way, if you want to REALLY do it you'll need this and this and this, sold separately" :lol:

And honestly I only paid any attention at all because that one gal in that class was CUTE, CUTE, CUTE.  So I paid a little attention, only to find out that they might as well be playing Bingo, or could just move it over to the restaurant across the lot.  Appeared to be more of a social gathering,.. something to do to meet people... than actually anything to do with leather.

But I'm apparently the dissenting opinion on those Y-tube videos (pronounced WHY-tube)... vast majority of it is useless refuse intended to gather "followers" and advertisers for people who seem to be better at TALKING leather than actually DOING leather.  One effeminate little... uh, guy I guess... has a video that goes on FOREVER about the most basic stuff... I can't watch that.  If I'm giong to spend an hour watching a video, NOT doing leather, gimme the girls in that Greg Allman video ;)

Don Gonzales is one exception... good information presented in a very easy style.  Mostly about TOOLING and COLORING leather. I can take most of what that guy talks about (I don't AGREE with all of it, but I think Don's opinion is worth seeing).  And his work is quite good - just no point in listening to somebody droning on if they aren't producing GOOD WORK to back up their words.

Doesn't matter where it comes from though... pick up what you can use and leave the rest - no matter.  

If you can find a course with a good instructor and a small group that could be useful, but not so much if there is a larger group and a not so good instructor

But it seems that you have read books and watched a load of videos, so really you should just go and do it!

And spend the money you would have spent on course fees, travel, and possibly accommodation on leather; then practice, and get started! 

Thank you everyone for your guidance.  I went out and bought 3 or 4 sides of inexpensive leather and started practicing based on the books I read and what I have found on youtube.  I appreciate all the advice.

I did find a few local people that I have mutual friends in common, so might ask for a brief introduction and see if they have any advice. 

Again, thanks for all the advice.