Guest Meghan Flanagan

Using Saddles for making other products

Guest Meghan Flanagan

Hello,

I posted earlier last week looking for a leatherworker to create products from repurposed leather. I haven't had much of a reply there, but the replies I did receive got me thinking. The idea is to cut the knee pads and any other leather segments from old saddles to use in creation of some other usable product (maybe wallets or something). As I research this more I realize there are no stories or guides on the best way to breakdown a saddle for useable leather...so my question is: Is it possible to breakdown a saddle for scraps to use in creating something new? If not, can you provide some insight into why? 

Thank you in advance for any help this group can provide.

Meghan 

The first thing that comes to mind is that the leather used in saddles is far too thick for projects such as wallets. And second, most of us would refurbish a saddle rather than cannibalize it.

Guest Meghan Flanagan

Thank you for your response! Yes I was thinking the same thing. We have received a lot of donated saddles to our non-profit group and we are unable to sell them or pass them to tack shops for sale. Any other ideas for what to do that could generate a bit of revenue? 

Meghan ... why don't you join the group (leatherworker.net) and post a few of the saddles that are in better shape and see if there is any interest from the group in purchasing any of them?

If you join, you can post without having to wait for a moderator to approve your posts.  All members who respond to Help Wanted posts, their posts have to be approved as well.

If you weren't so far away from me, I might even pick up one of them.

If the leather is from old saddles, I'd probably look into making some dog collars and maybe dog leashes from it. 

If the girth straps or stirrup leathers are still there, they could be used for making belts. Those would look worn from the start, but I suppose that somebody would like that look too.
The leashes could be made by joining small pieces of leather, kind of like a figure 8 that is stretched a bit, You fold it on the middle and insert the ends through the loops of the next piece. My dad made a leash like that that held up for a couple of Newfoundlands,  and I copied the design and helped my daughter make a leash for a horse (probably not the correct name).

Where in the world are you? How many horses are in your area?

I'm assuming we are talking about English saddles, since you are talking about knee pads. The thing is that English saddle trees may be (depending on the material) rather fragile, so that buying second hand withou checking them out in person is a risk. The other thing is that saddles need to fit the horse, so ideally we try before we buy... That might explain why there's no demand for your saddles (or is there another reason why you are "unable to sell"?) Or they might be in such a sorry state that they are unuseable (you have cleaned them up, haven't you? Btw, why were they donated to you - instead of sold on Craigslist or E-bay?)

I am also assuming that your primary motivation is to create revenue for the group. Then I would advise against finding a leatherworker (unless one  is willing to donate his or her time for your cause) and even more against taking up leatherwork yourself, as tools and supplies are not cheap andyou probably don't want to invest a lot of money with uncertain outcome).

I would try again to sell the saddles (for a really low price, if necessary). Either to horse people (you could announce that you are willing to come to the stable with a truck full of saddles - for fuel costs,  of course), or to crafters for the leather, possibly to a saddlery school as teaching material, or as decoration. 

Guest Meghan Flanagan

Thank you Mulesaw and Klara for your excellent replies.

Re: Mulesaw - collars and leashes great idea!

Re: Klara - We are in the northwest corner of CT. It is a super affluent area so the saddles are high-end (think tons of Hermes) but it also means they are usually custom, to your point. Which is the reason we cant seem to sell them, they are high-end custom saddles. I think the effort of joining this form and posting pictures will result in more burning of time than anything at this point. I do like this idea of a bulk sale with delivery to a crafter or saddlery school!

Thank you both!

Meghan

On 3/4/2022 at 8:56 AM, Guest Meghan Flanagan said:

Thank you Mulesaw and Klara for your excellent replies.

Re: Mulesaw - collars and leashes great idea!

Re: Klara - We are in the northwest corner of CT. It is a super affluent area so the saddles are high-end (think tons of Hermes) but it also means they are usually custom, to your point. Which is the reason we cant seem to sell them, they are high-end custom saddles. I think the effort of joining this form and posting pictures will result in more burning of time than anything at this point. I do like this idea of a bulk sale with delivery to a crafter or saddlery school!

Thank you both!

Meghan

I would buy one and pay shipping! I am looking for a new saddle!!

I would be interested in a saddle as well, but I would really like to be able to see if it was a dressage or a jumping saddle, and perhaps the size.

Meghan, does your group have a webpage where you perhaps could post some pictures of the saddles? 

Brgds

Jonas

Guest Meghan Flanagan

Thanks Mulesaw. We do not, but let me work on that. Perhaps that's the way to start, provide an inventory list available for all to view and see what interest we get. I will come back as a joined user once I have a link to share. There are dressage saddles - this area is very big on dressage and eventing.