dans79

are dividers and creasers used for the same task?

As i wait for my first order of leather to arrive, I've been  reading and watching videos.  I see a lot of people use dividers to layout a stitching lines, but every now and then i see someone use a creaser similar to these. Are they pretty much interchangeable tools, or does one have an advantage over the other? Also every now and then I see people heating the creaser with a flame, what is the reasoning for that? 

A creaser will do the same job as wing dividers. I prefer the dividers for making the stitching line as I can get more pressure onto the leather, the dividers can open wider (not necessary at all really) and I find their adjustment is finer. On my dividers I filed one leg shorter so that there is more of the longer leg following the edge of the leather. On my creasers there is very, very little difference between the two legs, and even after filing one down they just don't work as easily as the dividers

Heating the creaser is like using a steam iron on your clothes, the heat helps make the impression more permanent 

10 hours ago, fredk said:

A creaser will do the same job as wing dividers. I prefer the dividers for making the stitching line as I can get more pressure onto the leather, the dividers can open wider (not necessary at all really) and I find their adjustment is finer. On my dividers I filed one leg shorter so that there is more of the longer leg following the edge of the leather. On my creasers there is very, very little difference between the two legs, and even after filing one down they just don't work as easily as the dividers

Heating the creaser is like using a steam iron on your clothes, the heat helps make the impression more permanent 

Thanks for that bit of information. I purchased some 8" dividers from amazon. They need a little clean up, but hea they were like $8. 

Wing dividers are for marking a stitch line.  I suppose you could use a divider to mark a faint decorative line in soft veg tan.  A creaser makes a decorative crease on leather.  They are not the same.  There are leathers that are difficult to scribe a line with dividers but they will take a hot crease.  

Edited by mike02130

18 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Wing dividers are for marking a stitch line.  I suppose you could use a divider to mark a faint decorative line in soft veg tan.  A creaser makes a decorative crease on leather.  They are not the same.  There are leathers that are difficult to scribe a line with dividers but they will take a hot crease.  

wing dividers are used for more things than just creasing. Marking, measuring and creasing.

44 minutes ago, mike02130 said:

Just for reference I'm not interested in anything decorative, and I will probably work almost exclusively with vegtan.   

Edited by dans79