Hairic

Making my own tools today!

So I decided to try and make some carving/tooling tools, Turned out ok actually, I only purposely made the lifter, and the steep bevel, the others I just wanted to see what they turned out to be.  Actually all turned out pretty good, still got some work todo but wanted to see if they would do what they are supposed to before I church them up a bit.  I started with 5 inch by 1/4 inch grade 8 bolts, And ground down the heads of them into the tools, I used my home built 2 by 72 belt grinder for the bulk of them and then sanded by hand and polished with a Dremel and buffing wheel.  Anyways So they go as such, What I'm calling them anyway. Left to right, Large steep bevel, Flat shader, Double bevel, Steep bevel, pear shader, Small lifter.  These are all polished, trying to think of a way to add checkers or something to the shaders but again just made these on a whim and they still need a bit of tweaking, Also threw in a pic of my old 2x72 grinder that I made, I call it the Frankenstein Grinder as I built it from a d.c treadmill motor, then had to add an a.c to dc convertor that would literally melt, so I attached it to a computer heatsink, that runs to a potentiometer to control the speed, thing will rip some stuff, so much that it blew up the bearings in the tension arm roller, I just dont run it as fast now lol.  Anyways anyone else make there own tools?

20220224_121725.jpg

20220224_121734.jpg

20220224_121752.jpg

20220224_121805.jpg

20220224_121834.jpg

20220224_121839.jpg

20220224_121859.jpg

20220224_121912.jpg

20220224_121921.jpg

20220224_122010.jpg

20220224_122834.jpg

20220224_122838.jpg

Edited by Hairic

Well done! For crosshatching, try either draw filing or use a needle file to cut one line at a time.

I never had to use that much cooling on a rectifier :o

4 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

I never had to use that much cooling on a rectifier :o

Lol I dunno if the first one I used was defective or not, It literally pretty much melted, SO I stuck that heat sink on it and never gets hot now, I used to even plug that in and have the fan going, I don't do that anymore.

Must be defective. Bridge rectifiers in square packaging should pass 50A w/o breaking a sweat.

If you were to use mild steel instead of grade 8 , you could use a jewelers saw to cut lines or cross hatching. some of the finer blades have a 1/64th" kerf so you can do very detailed work. I just use brass rod and the tools I have made have lasted for years

21 minutes ago, Leescustomleather said:

If you were to use mild steel instead of grade 8 , you could use a jewelers saw to cut lines or cross hatching. some of the finer blades have a 1/64th" kerf so you can do very detailed work. I just use brass rod and the tools I have made have lasted for years

Thank you, I almost went with brass rod myself and got lazy , didn't want to cut them, definitely give it a try next

great job!!! i make some of my own tools also, i would suggest useing stainless bolts as  the steel can sometimes stain the leather black. regular small or jewlers files will cut stainless bolts just fine if you want to cross hatch and such.  These are easy to make also lifters, modeling tool and stylus made with stainless all thread and brass nuts, i used leather washers  for handles.

i chuck them up in a drill and turn them against my grinding belt to get the nice taper. 

lifter2.JPG

lijfter1.JPG

I have 3 2x72 grinders that I made. sounds excessive huh...

for the roller wheels get some skateboard wheels with ABEC9 bearings (longboard wheels) a lap or two of masking tape down the center of 3 of them helps with tracking especially the one that is used for tracking adjustment.

Here's a great video for the motor controller, I've found it to work great on any dc motor 1hp or lower, It will not power my beast as it has a 3hp motor.

for making the tools, yours look great, using stainless steel bolts instead of grade 8 is a better option as described above.

making textured tools... experimentation and patience.

Your machines are incredibly impressive! I love how you used a hatch strut for tension.

I also keep all of my kids' rollerblade bearings for such project one day.

I admire anyone who stretches out their skills and tries new things.  It is a very satisfying thing.  Good job and now when you create beautiful carvings you can feel even better about it.

image.png.d1bbf25a82a01653668b2e69d9f81a04.png

4 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Your machines are incredibly impressive! I love how you used a hatch strut for tension.

I also keep all of my kids' rollerblade bearings for such project one day.

Thank you! I had planned to have that one just be a concept when I built it so the welds are not pretty but then it worked to good to build another, I had never even thought of using skate board wheels that's just genius so thanks to all that recommended that.  

Daffy, thanks for the vid, I had planned to install all the electricals into a box just as in the vid just never got around to doing it, I'm sure ill get to it someday lol

5 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

great job!!! i make some of my own tools also, i would suggest useing stainless bolts as  the steel can sometimes stain the leather black. regular small or jewlers files will cut stainless bolts just fine if you want to cross hatch and such.  These are easy to make also lifters, modeling tool and stylus made with stainless all thread and brass nuts, i used leather washers  for handles.

i chuck them up in a drill and turn them against my grinding belt to get the nice taper. 

Nice! thanks for the input Ill go look for some stainless bolts and prob grab a rod of brass to give that a shot as well, That leather washer handle is a cool idea as well. 

Did a little practice with primarily my own tools on these, Really need to get some thicker leather to practice on but they did ok, they are heavier than my other tools and that actually seemed to steady my hand a bit, I think these two make it maybe the 10th time I have ever carved/tooled leather, so I just need to bang some practice out I think.  Got tired and lazy so didn't finished them completely.

20220224_172800.jpg

20220225_113135.jpg

Edited by Hairic

Flawless!

3 hours ago, Hairic said:

Did a little practice with primarily my own tools on these, Really need to get some thicker leather to practice on but they did ok, they are heavier than my other tools and that actually seemed to steady my hand a bit, I think these two make it maybe the 10th time I have ever carved/tooled leather, so I just need to bang some practice out I think.  Got tired and lazy so didn't finished them completely.

20220224_172800.jpg

20220225_113135.jpg

you have the knack for sure! 

9 hours ago, Frodo said:

brass tumbler #3 001 - video Dailymotion

KUDOS on the sander.

Check out my brass tumbler

That things rad! I actually have a vibrating tumbler thingamagig that I was working on.. in a box somewhere now lol.. 

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

you have the knack for sure! 

Thank you sir! Finding this tooling relaxing.  If my hands would do the same thing I might get better results.. I always shake trying to do intricate things lol... 

Soo, decided to drink a bit of whiskey tonight and then make some tools Lol, Got two , one needs to be softened as its a bit sharp, wanted a rounded beveller kind of thing, kind of got it... the other is kind of odd, really just wanted something I could get deep into the points, Not really sure if it will work however its kind of got a cool effect so going to leave it for now, I did take everyone's advice and went with stainless on these two, prob need to do it with out the whiskey though hahah...

20220228_194840 (1).jpg

I was going to make something like this but when I received the quote for cat 8 machine screws from the local fastener chain I realized that it is cheaper to buy boutique leather goods.

3 minutes ago, DrmCa said:

I was going to make something like this but when I received the quote for cat 8 machine screws from the local fastener chain I realized that it is cheaper to buy boutique leather goods.

Not sure what a cat 8 machine screw is, however I just picked up some 5 inch by 1/4 inch stainless steal bolts from my ace hardware for about 2.79 a piece, and then grinded them down.  I have nothing against purchasing tools from a professional company at all, I just don't know what I need as I am too new to this, So when I run into an issue I think man if I had something like "..." then I make it.  And that's where I am now.. Eventually Ill probably purchase professional tools, that do what I have created however, if I don't need to then maybe not.

These look geeat. Im wanting to do the same. I recently took a class with Rocky Minster on his arizona/porter style carving. He used to work at porters before they shut down and has some tools that are hard to come by. The bevelers are slightly different than what's available today and the camouflage is very different. I can figure out the shaders and bevelers I think, but getting the cam shape right is going to be tricky. As for adding lines and checkering I'm somewhat at a loss. I'm not sure if needle files or a checkering file would be best. It's hard to tell from these photos but the cam shape has domed and has the shoulders below the face of the tool. Replicating it seems tricky to me haha

20220225_173506_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20220225_173514_copy_1512x2016.jpg

Needle files should do just fine. Dremel kits also come with diamond 45 degree slot tools that can be used as well.

15 hours ago, Hairic said:

Not sure what a cat 8 machine screw is, however I just picked up some 5 inch by 1/4 inch stainless steal bolts from my ace hardware for about 2.79 a piece, and then grinded them down.  I have nothing against purchasing tools from a professional company at all, I just don't know what I need as I am too new to this, So when I run into an issue I think man if I had something like "..." then I make it.  And that's where I am now.. Eventually Ill probably purchase professional tools, that do what I have created however, if I don't need to then maybe not.

thats where i get mine lol. some tools are pretty hard to replicate at home but most aren't If you have time search through the  threads on leather tools there are alot of homemade ideas.