Hairic

Making my own tools today!

1 hour ago, DrmCa said:

Needle files should do just fine. Dremel kits also come with diamond 45 degree slot tools that can be used as well.

I'm not familiar with this dremel bit. Is it the diamond cylindrical bit? Thanks for the info 

I am referring to the right-most bit in the row #4 from the top. Between the cone and what I refer to as pancake.

50Pcs-1-8-Shank-Diamond-Coated-Rotary-Gr

This one? Thanks for the help again

Screenshot_20220301-154758_Chrome.jpg

Yes, that's the one I meant. NP!

Nice work on the tools. I haven't made any leather tools but I am wanting to make a grinder like yours. I like to make homemade knives as a hobby. I have been gathering the parts for about a year.

I already have two motors and just about everything I need. I hope to build it this spring. Thanks for sharing.

flint

Checkering files are the best way to go.  SS bolts work great but if you have access to SS steel rod try that, 304 is your friend just remember it does work harden.  Making your own tools and using them to make your own projects adds soul to what ever you make it adds more of "you"!  I make all of my knifes, swivel knives too, including the blades, alot of my tooling stamps (mostly bevelers) all of my mauls, to include the"thumper" it is addictive so be ready but it looks as if you are! Your 2x72 belt grinder looks similar to the one I made except I use a multi speed frequency drive/converter... Secondary habit/hobby knife Smith (haven't done it in years) new job eats life.. ugh.. keep up the AWESOME work!!!

My wood shop is finally coming back together, enough that I had a few tools ready and I really wanted to make something, I purchased a couple lathes about 4 days before I started tearing apart my wood shop and had not got much time on it, so I decided with to make a hand slicker, Made three as I needed some practice, almost had the third one just right and screwed up and flung it, so had to finish off the lathe but it came out ok anyway lol.  Any ways pictures are dark for some reason, the first two are dark walnut and the third one is dark walnut and maple, I also threw in a pic of the crappy slicker I been using so I think these will be an upgrade, but who knows.  Also just finished these with linseed oil, quick google said that don't hurt leather so I went for it.  I did these while I was waiting on glue to dry for my carving/tooling rack that I am building, Ill post it when its finished as well. Story behind each version, first one I was like maybe a little more ergonomic handle would be nice, so I left the lip, second was like maybe a ribbed handle would be nice, third was screw it ill go with what I know. lol 

20220314_182117.jpg

20220314_182104.jpg

20220314_182046.jpg

20220314_182518.jpg

Edited by Hairic

On 3/14/2022 at 4:42 PM, Hairic said:

My wood shop is finally coming back together, enough that I had a few tools ready and I really wanted to make something, I purchased a couple lathes about 4 days before I started tearing apart my wood shop and had not got much time on it, so I decided with to make a hand slicker, Made three as I needed some practice, almost had the third one just right and screwed up and flung it, so had to finish off the lathe but it came out ok anyway lol.  Any ways pictures are dark for some reason, the first two are dark walnut and the third one is dark walnut and maple, I also threw in a pic of the crappy slicker I been using so I think these will be an upgrade, but who knows.  Also just finished these with linseed oil, quick google said that don't hurt leather so I went for it.  I did these while I was waiting on glue to dry for my carving/tooling rack that I am building, Ill post it when its finished as well. Story behind each version, first one I was like maybe a little more ergonomic handle would be nice, so I left the lip, second was like maybe a ribbed handle would be nice, third was screw it ill go with what I know. lol 

20220314_182117.jpg

20220314_182104.jpg

20220314_182046.jpg

20220314_182518.jpg

Awesome stuff! You inspired me to make my own stamps. What I've made so far work pretty well. Lots of practice needed tho haha. 

Your slickers look nice!

On 3/1/2022 at 8:53 AM, Stetson912 said:

These look geeat. Im wanting to do the same. I recently took a class with Rocky Minster on his arizona/porter style carving. He used to work at porters before they shut down and has some tools that are hard to come by. The bevelers are slightly different than what's available today and the camouflage is very different. I can figure out the shaders and bevelers I think, but getting the cam shape right is going to be tricky. As for adding lines and checkering I'm somewhat at a loss. I'm not sure if needle files or a checkering file would be best. It's hard to tell from these photos but the cam shape has domed and has the shoulders below the face of the tool. Replicating it seems tricky to me haha

20220225_173506_copy_1512x2016.jpg

20220225_173514_copy_1512x2016.jpg

I use a jewelers saw, it is very inexpensive and you can make very fine cuts with it

8 minutes ago, Leescustomleather said:

I use a jewelers saw, it is very inexpensive and you can make very fine cuts with it

That's my next investment. How do they do against stainless steel? Thanks  for the tip 

On 3/15/2022 at 8:04 PM, Stetson912 said:

That's my next investment. How do they do against stainless steel? Thanks  for the tip 

That depends on the stainless alloy, and if it is hardened. It works fine on mild steel and brass, I have tools I have made with brass that I have used many times over the last 6 years and look the same as the day I made them. I believe the only way I could damage the is to beat them all the way through the leather which would ruin my work or if I used a steel hammer to make the impressions the mallet end would mushroom over time. Bronze is soft when compared to stainless but remember the Romans conquered much of the world with bronze swords

On 3/17/2022 at 4:46 PM, Leescustomleather said:

That depends on the stainless alloy, and if it is hardened. It works fine on mild steel and brass, I have tools I have made with brass that I have used many times over the last 6 years and look the same as the day I made them. I believe the only way I could damage the is to beat them all the way through the leather which would ruin my work or if I used a steel hammer to make the impressions the mallet end would mushroom over time. Bronze is soft when compared to stainless but remember the Romans conquered much of the world with bronze swords

What do you use for stock? I picked up some stainless steel hex bolts and while I can work then they do seem tougher to work. I wouldn't mind 1018 or other similar mild steel. I thought about galvanized hex bolts and removing the coating somehow

27 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

What do you use for stock? I picked up some stainless steel hex bolts and while I can work then they do seem tougher to work. I wouldn't mind 1018 or other similar mild steel. I thought about galvanized hex bolts and removing the coating somehow

you can use mild steel if you want to i have some made out of plain old nails but beware they can stain your leather black I usually test mine out on a piece of scrap before using them on my project., vinegaroon is made from iron and vinegar it is a traditional black leather dye sooo... don't ask me how i know but don't file down your iron tools near your leather work stuff or you will have nice lil black speckles all over your leather magically appear when it gets wet.

57 minutes ago, Stetson912 said:

I thought about galvanized hex bolts and removing the coating somehow

Remove the zinc by soaking in white vinegar until the bolts look grey, and no more bubbles form. But they are STILL steel and can stain the leather.

Edited by tsunkasapa

Thanks, that's how I figured in doing it. Gomph hackbarth used to sell a 1018 steel stamp set. And old saddlers would make them from nails. If I try mild steel I'll have to just be extra careful haha

11 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

I have used steel from many sources, If I want a particular length or dimension I will usually just get it from a metal supplier online. Also local scrap yards are a great place to look , and a couple of my local hardware stores carry mild steel in various sizes and shapes.

The major advantage of buying online is you get exactly what you want and for $20 or $30  you will have enough for a lifetime supply of tools