JoiJohnston2034

Exotic skin suppliers

Hi, 

Just want to say I have learned so much from this group and I’m really grateful for it. 

I have a leather handbag start-up. Most of my bags are made with lizard (some with snake and alligator tail). Do you have any exotic skin suppliers internationally or in the States? I have found some in Asia for significantly less but they don’t have CITES documentation.

In the states, I’m familiar with Roje, Panam, Columbia Impex. Love their skins I’m just trying to find something a little lower— I understand why the price is higher. I thought about buying bleached skins and dyeing myself but that seems tricky! Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thank you! 

John Fong has been around a long time and has a great selection, elephant down to bull frog. SFLC has been a good source, but they haven’t had anything new in forever, there’s Scott over at snapping turtle leather company. Guess what he sells. There’s sturgeon leather outta Russia via South America, and if you flash enough cash there’s some solo folks out there with good stuff that can Hook it up. All kinda pricy, but that’s the way it is nowadays…. 

Hi! Thank you so much for sending this info! I will check out them out. SFLC had caiman tails for a fraction of the cost but you arr. tight they haven't had anything new in a while. 

Thank you!!! Will check it out.

Shop Talk Magazine puts out an annual "MY Buyers Guide" that has an in depth list of suppliers for anything leather related. It is a go to reference for finding whatever you need.

Amazing thank you Ed!

JoiJohnson,

I have several black ostrich hides I'm not using. I can part with a few at market price if that suites you.

Send me a PM if interested in talking. I'm in Philadelphia...

Joe

On 2/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, JoiJohnston2034 said:

Hi, 

Just want to say I have learned so much from this group and I’m really grateful for it. 

I have a leather handbag start-up. Most of my bags are made with lizard (some with snake and alligator tail). Do you have any exotic skin suppliers internationally or in the States? I have found some in Asia for significantly less but they don’t have CITES documentation.

In the states, I’m familiar with Roje, Panam, Columbia Impex. Love their skins I’m just trying to find something a little lower— I understand why the price is higher. I thought about buying bleached skins and dyeing myself but that seems tricky! Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Thank you! 

Would love to see images of your work.

Silverd