Frodo

RR track weights

Hey guys.  My nephew just bought some land that used to have an old saw mill on it many many years ago

We found a old  abandoned  spur  RR track  in the woods.  that is approx 300' long  that equates to approx 600' of RR track

If anyone is interested in some of this track let me know

3'' piece could be used as a weight to hold your leather in place

10'' piece would be a nice anvil,  anything over 10'' might be costly to ship,  

$16.00 to ship a medium flat rate box MAX weight is 75 lbs  

images (6).jpg

Nice set of tracks, I think that you should suggest your nephew to install a sawmill of some sorts again, then maybe he can use the tracks as they are. :-)

3 hours ago, Mulesaw said:

Nice set of tracks, I think that you should suggest your nephew to install a sawmill of some sorts again, then maybe he can use the tracks as they are. :-)

Problem

someone owns the parcel between his land and the rail road .  

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

Problem

someone owns the parcel between his land and the rail road .  

thats some cool history wonder what size track it is and the width between? that would tell you the age. I live in rr country also and use two anvils i have made from track. As well the spikes may be high enough carbon to make knives and tomahawks from they are quite a novelty. If i remember right the high carbon spikes had an H stamped on them. I have a spike puller i found years ago lol. looks kind of like a giant claw hammer end you can pound under it with a four /five foot handle.

What's the spacing between the inside of the rails?  4'8-1/2" is standard in the US, dating back to England and thence back to the Roman roads...  long history for a weird number.

Narrow gage has many variants, but 3' is fairly common.

God bless,

Mike

Funny, just the other day I saw a youtube video where someone constructed an anvil out of a piece of track.  He had a wooden form that he built around it and he could change the way the anvil works by removing it and then installing it back a different way.  Easier to watch and ignore my feeble attempt to explain it!

I could be wrong and ways off, in the current economy, but about 10 years ago it was cheaper for me to buy a real anvil with proper square and round horns locally than to buy an equal weight of an RR track but shipped. Is Ruger factory far from you? I know that they smelt lots of RR tracks.

I have seen a anvil made from a piece of RR at a leather shop in Perth WA ( closed down now)  . It was shaped, down to an ' anvil'  point at one end. That must taken some cutting/ grinding . That's a great idea, so I thought. It might be cheaper and less work just to buy one.

We do have a bit of a railroad  history  in my town. I have a few pieces  in my workshop " museum" , as I call it. A few pieces of clinker from the steam trains that went through once upon a time, some spikes, and a track joiner .  They're all welded  these days not bolted.  That removed the ' click clack' sound that puts people to sleep when traveling. I miss that. 

HS 

Edited by Handstitched

On 2/26/2022 at 4:36 AM, chuck123wapati said:

thats some cool history wonder what size track it is and the width between?

I'd be doing all sorts of historical research on those,  maybe get a metal detector search the area , if permitted.  . What type of  trains ran on them, any surviving locals or families of the sawmill ?  etc. .So much history in old stuff, and history should be preserved for future generations  IMO, no offence to Frodos' nephew. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched

Factory anvils are really high. About 10 years ago my boss asked me to find him one. My friend in the auction business found him one. At the time used(antique) anvils were about $5 per pound. Seems he let me have it  for $3 per lb. 

Frodo,  They do make a nice weight.  I have a piece 4" long with leather on the bottom, and I zip tied a work clap light to the top.  I move around when I am tooling, or need a little extra light.  At age 77,  my eyes need all the help they can get.  I would like to get a couple more for the shop.

Have a great day. Howard