Maint1517

Show your sewing machine setup

I’m about to take things up a notch for myself. I’m going to an industrial Pfaff sewing machine for stitching holsters, sheathes and other items. Keep in mind I just do this as a hobby, making items for myself, family and friends. 
it would really help if some of you could post pictures of your machine setups. 
Thanks

What's really to show?  Just a machine sitting in its table?  Or something else?  How you set up your sewing room really depends on the space you have to work with, what you sew mostly and what you cut.  It's always nice to have a big table you can cut out material on, and that's separate from your sewing machine setup.  Maybe looking at some sewing videos on YouTube could be helpful?  And make sure you have good lighting for the sewing machine.

29 minutes ago, Maint1517 said:

The Kobe is a LS-1341 Clone, Juki DNU-1541S, Chinese Patcher (Tinkers Delight), Singer 29K-71 (1949) my Juki 1181n is setup similar to the 1541S

n2_6.jpg.25f6a5897f8a2c652666344c2caf3ef4.jpg

K-7.jpg

c1.jpg.cb5fac96cb4766b4606b67d77fe081a3.jpg

4sing.jpg.30ae18cf0ce00a5d9b7feca414b5d619.jpg

6sing.jpg.2befb93c066a581886214f565fb0f4ea.jpg

Wow, kgg, you've reached a new pinnacle!

Is that patcher flatbed attachment 3D printed too? Or is it cut from a sheet?

I see you've been giving the 3D printer a real workout, kgg! :lol: (That table for the Chinese patcher looks very nice).

Maint1517, which Pfaff are you looking at, given that you want to do holsters?

It’s an older model 6031 extra heavy duty.  But in really good condition. Already purchased it. It should be here next week. 

kgg, really nice bunch of machines you have there! I think I'd have to go look at them every day and tuck them in at night too!

7 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Is that patcher flatbed attachment 3D printed too? Or is it cut from a sheet?

It is 3d printed as well as the adjustable support legs and the table attachments for it.

5 hours ago, suzelle said:

I think I'd have to go look at them every day and tuck them in at night too!

My machines except for the Tinkers Delight live in the bedroom across from me.

Those are some, not all, of the accessories / attachments that I have designed and 3D printed for my machines just to make life a little easier. My main consideration for any accessories / attachments is that there are no additional holes needed to be drilled into the table top or sewing machine.

What I have shown in the photo's are:
i) Kobe LS-1341 clone: turn table style binder tape dispenser with ball bear race; binder tape guides; micro table attachment to allow for the use of standard flat bed binders / edge guide; top mounted swivel bobbin/ snip holder; lower swivel bobbin / snip holder; hands free bobbin thread cutter with needle / bobbin caddy

ii) Juki DNU-1541S: top mounted swivel bobbin & snip holder; lower swivel bobbin & snip holder; hands free bobbin thread cutter with needle / bobbin caddy; caddy for tools / needle / bobbins

iii) Chinese Patcher a Tinkers Delight: adjustable double light caddy (front gray led light and far side red led light); pressor foot position indicator (red arrow); Red colored rear mounted scissor holder; Blue colored rear mounted 1lb bobbin thread holder; Blue colored rear mounted top thread holder; Black colored 6" drop down adjustable table top; Blue colored adjustable height nose support (prevents any forward tipping of the machines arm); Blue colored machine mounting base

iv) 1949 Singer 29k-71 swing away bobbin thread guide ( replaces your finger so you can wind a bobbin as you go ); double 1lb spool holder; double spool thread guide; double thread guide for top and bobbin thread.

kgg

6 hours ago, Maint1517 said:

It’s an older model 6031 extra heavy duty.  But in really good condition. Already purchased it. It should be here next week. 

I couldn't find much info on that machine but looking at the photos it appears to be a domestic machine. If it is the one I'm looking at then I doubt it will be any good for holsters.

5 hours ago, dikman said:

I couldn't find much info on that machine but looking at the photos it appears to be a domestic machine. If it is the one I'm looking at then I doubt it will be any good for holsters.

I also looked and came to the same conclusion.

kgg

Hello Maint1517,

I didn't want to say anything right away, but it appears I'd found the same info as kgg and dikman on the model machine you gave. What I could find was a "Model 30" pfaff with gold flowers/decorative elements all along the bed and machine head. Is that it?

Old Pfaff machines are nice, I have one myself. Mine is a 545-H4, and there are many Dealers I spoke to yesterday who tell me the one I have is now considered an antique. My machine was manufactured in the late 1970's, so not sure how accurate that would be. I was told years ago that officially, an antique is 100 years old. So, I think my own machine is old for sure, just not sure if she's an antique quite yet! Since I consider her a female machine, I do allow a little fudging when we're discussing age and antiquity! LOL!

If I got the right machine for you though, an older Model 30, she does look antique to me. Also, considered a domestic for sure. You'll be able to do some clothing alterations, maybe some light upholstery and light canvas work. But I doubt much more than that.

When I am back at the shop, I'll try to remember to post some more recent photos of my old girl.

Good luck!

15 hours ago, dikman said:

I came up with the same results. I hope that the model numbers have been mixed up and we are wrong. I have to say I have a few Pfaff's and I although they are great machines I could not think of any that would be suitable for this sort of normally heavy duty work. That is why I had to go look.

On 2/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, Maint1517 said:

I’m about to take things up a notch for myself. I’m going to an industrial Pfaff sewing machine for stitching holsters, sheathes and other items. Keep in mind I just do this as a hobby, making items for myself, family and friends. 
Thanks

Here are my two . . . a Cowboy with a 16 inch free opening for sewing larger projects . . . it'll sew 3/4 inch of veggie tan . . . and yes, I tried it . . . it'll do it.

You can only see a piece of it in the picture . . . the black blob to the right of the Cowboy . . .  is a Tippmann Boss . . . and if you only are doing hobby stuff . . . let me recommend this machine . . . 100%.  I've had mine 20 years . . . it has been back to the shop twice . . . fixed for free both times . . . it is a bit of a pain doing belts . . . takes a while . . . but for holsters, sheaths, and an occasional purse . . . it'll do you great.

Tandy has flooded the market with a machine that was badly cloned from it . . . and in my opinion is junk . . . the Boss is a good machine.

A couple years ago they were in the 1400 dollar range . . . Tandy's junk has pushed the price down to about a thousand brand new (price I paid for mine 20 years ago) . . . and used ones on Ebay are even less.  

Have fun . . . may God bless,

Dwight

sewing machine small.jpg

Edited by Dwight

Here ya go. 

I'm sure I've posted these before somewhere on here, but anyway.

A Seiko STW 28B ,set up as a single needle, not twin,  mostly #40 thread  Juki clone with 180  #24, needle, I use mostly 277M10 thread standard feet & dog, I use other threads too  , and a Singer 29K patcher on stand-by. The rubber mat is  to stop it moving.  And in the far background covered up, is a Pfaff 60 for thin leather , wallet liners,  fiddly jobs etc  , and a drawer full of assorted threads, some more in the drawer above it. Tools etc in the top drawer . 

Ignore the mess...please  :)

HS

Sewing Machine Pics Feb 2022 001.jpg

Sewing Machine Pics Feb 2022 002.jpg

Sewing Machine Pics Feb 2022 003.jpg

On 2/26/2022 at 2:04 PM, Maint1517 said:

Thanks

Here is my other machine I spoke about . . . Tippmann Boss . . . good little hand operated machine.

I've punched holes with it for stitching almost 3/4 of an inch . . . came back and hand sewed the holes.

May God bless,

Dwight

boss 1.jpg

boss 2.jpg

49 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Here is my other machine I spoke about . . . Tippmann Boss . . . good little hand operated machine.

I like the way you set the Boss lower so you could create a table top surface for it.

kgg

Some of my current setups:

My Singer 45D91 Cylinder arm sewing machine setup:

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/72789-singer-45d91-restoration/?tab=comments#comment-552471

My Singer 108w20 Binder Setup. Head mounted on a base plate so I can switch the head with my 29K71 patcher which has the same base plate mounted so one stand for 2 machines.

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/79339-singer-108w20-my-new-binder-setup/

My Singer 51w Post bed machine setup which also is used with 107w & 143w flat bed machine (switch head and drive belt - and ready to go)

https://leatherworker.net/forum/topic/89568-singer-51w-post-bed-143w-107w-flat-bed-setup-on-cut-down-singer-stand/

4 hours ago, Constabulary said:

My Singer 51w Post bed machine setup which also is used with 107w & 143w flat bed machine (switch head and drive belt - and ready to go)

Really like how you revamped the singer base to accept the motor and reducer.

kgg

I set up all my machines pretty much the same.  I use magnets to hold scissors, feet and tools.  I made "oil holsters" to attach to the thread stands, so the oil bottle is upright and close at hand.  On the white Juki, I sewed magnets between two pieces of leather to hold my favorite feet.  Most machines have a designated needle holder, so I can tell at a glance what needle is in the machine.  All have a thread catcher bag, the Cobra's is held on with magnets.  The magnetic dish from Harbor Freight is good to keep on top of machines for feet or tools.   Also, I keep a variety of test materials at the back of each machine so I don't try out a new setup on my good piece. 

juki tool.JPG

juki tool.JPG

singer 111 tool.JPG

cobra tool.JPG

morse tool.JPG

Ok, so I got the machine. Ordered 277 bonded nylon thread and 140/22 needles.  
The needle and thread are too big for the hole in the plate. They get stuck. 
If I step down to a # 92 bonded nylon thread and 110/18 needle would that thread be strong enough for 8oz leather or less?

And I was wrong about the model number. It’s a model 60. 
i will add a photo when I get home. 

I’ve been trying for 30 minutes to post a picture and it won’t let me. 
it’s industrial grey with white knobs. 

4 hours ago, Maint1517 said:

Ok, so I got the machine. Ordered 277 bonded nylon thread and 140/22 needles.  
The needle and thread are too big for the hole in the plate. They get stuck. 
If I step down to a # 92 bonded nylon thread and 110/18 needle would that thread be strong enough for 8oz leather or less?

If a #22 needle gets stuck in the hole in the throat plate, that suggests to me that the machine is meant to use thinner needles and thread, like a maximum of a #18/110 needle and #69 bonded thread.

I recommend using a #19/120 needle with #92 thread, if that machine can handle it.

It sounds like you bought a tailoring/dressmakers' machine, or maybe just a domestic/household machine falsely advertised as industrial. Does the machine come on a 20x48 inch table with a large clutch or servo motor underneath it, shipped on a pallet? Or, is the machine sitting in a small fitted box with a removable carrying case lid with a tiny motor attached to the back of the head? If the latter, it's a domestic machine for sewing thin cloth with small spools of cotton or polycore home sewing machine thread with thin needles (e.g., #10, 12, 14, etc). If so, you can probably forget about sewing 8 ounces of leather.

3 hours ago, Maint1517 said:

I’ve been trying for 30 minutes to post a picture and it won’t let me.

Read this post for suggestions to reduce an image's filesize.