AzShooter

First Try At Holster With Carving

I tried to carve a rose and my initals in this holster for a Heritage Rough Rider.  Just a simple holster made of 7 ounce leather, dyed with Chocolate dye.  I decided I don't like Chocolate.  It's too dark for me.

RR Holster With Flower.jpg

Hholster with flower and initials for RR.jpg

the holster and tooling looks pretty good to me for a first. The chocolate looks black in the pics.

Try reducing the dye. Maybe 1 dye-5 alcohol. Keep reducing until you get the shade you like.

Edited by tsunkasapa

full on chocolate looks almost black.  Thin the dye and it's one of my all time favorites (now they have 50 shades that didn't used to exist).

These were done ONLY with chocolate Fiebing's.  The background of the top one is FULL STRENGTH chocolate, the rest is thinned about 30:1.  Same thing on the belt with the 3-piece  buckle set.7000.jpg

20191017.jpg39.jpg

This belt is chocolate ONLY, about 15:1 if I remember right, and the notebook binder background is the same dye, applied with an airbrush. Troy.jpg

Oh, wait.. you wuz talkin' HOLSTERS in chocolate ...

The first and third are chocolate dye ONLY.  Teh middle one is done with Fiebing's "dark brown" (thinned) and shown here to show the difference in color... teh dark brown is clearly more reddish ...

DSC00237.jpgred01.jpgKframe.jpg

Thank you all.  Time for me to get some alcohol and experiment.  

Looks good AZ just pretty dark as has been said. I haven't had the courage to try carving yet.

3 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

Looks good AZ just pretty dark as has been said. I haven't had the courage to try carving yet.

Thank you very much>

I tried another one tonight and will probably post tomorrows It's on a new holster design for Steel Challenge matches and should be fun.