benfanman

Apple AirPods Pro case

Got the design idea from Corter Leather, still working on refining it and adding my own flavor to it, but I think it's a pretty neat case for my Apple AirPods Pros! Also, this is my first ever post on the forum despite lurking for a few months - it's nice to be a part of the community! 

IMG_1554.jpg

Not too bad!  I watched his video and also bought the PDF pattern but before I start I need to improve/learn my stitching technique.  This pattern is certainly an easier project than the other one I saw, with wet moulding the leather. 

What kind of closure is that you used?  I was thinking of a regular line24 snap, or maybe even a magnetic closure.  Your leather looks really thick... what weight is that?  6oz at least, I'm guessing.

Hey MtlBiker, 

Thanks! Yeah, I'd say this is a pretty easy project to do (provided you have the right hardware). 

As for the leather, I lack a leather gauge and found this old scrap in the box, so I'd guess it's about 5 oz. I've never bought anything more than 5 oz, so it would be pretty unlikely that it was 6 oz. 

@benfanman - I'm a fine one to talk (being just a beginner with leather myself) but your edges sure could do with some finishing.  :)  They do look a little rough.  Maybe (in the future) a little sanding first, followed by some tokinole and a polishing.

Thanks for sharing your work!  Always great to see another artisan's work.  That closure is referred to as "ball and post" or "Sam Brown".  Something you might add to allow it to open a little easier is a tiny slit on the edge of the hole.  Place the slit on the opposite side of the direction where there is natural tension when the case is closed (I would guess on the side of the hole farthest away from the edge.  Great work!!

Not that you have to purchase a tool for the hole, you can use a blade to slit it, but here is a picture of a tool used to make the Sam Brown hole.  This will give you an idea of what I described above.

image.png.59c155fb64c06fae6676fbd06a175be8.png

Edited by PastorBob

20 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

@benfanman - I'm a fine one to talk (being just a beginner with leather myself) but your edges sure could do with some finishing.  :)  They do look a little rough.  Maybe (in the future) a little sanding first, followed by some tokinole and a polishing.

Nah definitely, this was the first one I ever made, and it’ll be staying with me at home. Just wanted to see how the pattern fit! Thanks for the recommendations. 

8 hours ago, PastorBob said:

Thanks for sharing your work!  Always great to see another artisan's work.  That closure is referred to as "ball and post" or "Sam Brown".  Something you might add to allow it to open a little easier is a tiny slit on the edge of the hole.  Place the slit on the opposite side of the direction where there is natural tension when the case is closed (I would guess on the side of the hole farthest away from the edge.  Great work!!

Not that you have to purchase a tool for the hole, you can use a blade to slit it, but here is a picture of a tool used to make the Sam Brown hole.  This will give you an idea of what I described above.

image.png.59c155fb64c06fae6676fbd06a175be8.png

Hey PastorBob, thanks so much for the encouraging words! That’s an awesome suggestion - I only have one of these (since it was ordered as a mistake), so I haven’t really explored the best practices on how to craft around it. I’ll make sure to try that out tonight! 

Thanks again for the information, it was very helpful! 

1 hour ago, koshkimishki said:

Nice case, apple original cases are very expensive

Thanks @koshkimishki! Yeah, they are. With the polishing touches that @MtlBiker suggested above, I’d probably price this on Etsy at $60, which I think is reasonable in comparison to the mass-produced cases that Apple sells. 

9 minutes ago, benfanman said:

Thanks @koshkimishki! Yeah, they are. With the polishing touches that @MtlBiker suggested above, I’d probably price this on Etsy at $60, which I think is reasonable in comparison to the mass-produced cases that Apple sells. 

I hate to be a wet blanket, but it's very hard to sell and be profitable on Etsy these days.  There's just too much competition and much of it is mass produced in a factory somewhere.  People have a hard time appreciating the value of hand-crafted one at a time products.  I'm planning to make a case like this myself (already bought the pattern and viewed the video before you posted) but I'm under no illusion that I can sell it profitably.  Just for example, look at this leather case for the Airpod Pro.  And personally I like this style better but making it is well beyond my skill level at the moment.  What I like is that it's molded and when you open it, it's one piece rather than having to open the top flap of the case and then the airpod case.  And by the way, the one I linked to is only about US$26.  So selling one for $60 is going to be tough.

But more power to ya!

Edited by MtlBiker

4 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I hate to be a wet blanket, but it's very hard to sell and be profitable on Etsy these days.  There's just too much competition and much of it is mass produced in a factory somewhere.  People have a hard time appreciating the value of hand-crafted one at a time products.  I'm planning to make a case like this myself (already bought the pattern and viewed the video before you posted) but I'm under no illusion that I can sell it profitably.  Just for example, look at this leather case for the Airpod Pro.  And personally I like this style better but making it is well beyond my skill level at the moment.  What I like is that it's molded and when you open it, it's one piece rather than having to open the top flap of the case and then the airpod case.  And by the way, the one I linked to is only about US$26.  So selling one for $60 is going to be tough.

But more power to ya!

Ah, I’ve already got some sales, so hopefully it keeps up! 

18 minutes ago, benfanman said:

Ah, I’ve already got some sales, so hopefully it keeps up! 

Wow!  Good for you!!!!