hickok55

needle keeps getting stuck

when I try to sew two pieces of sheepskin together the needle keeps getting stuck does anyone know of a tool I can use to pull the needle through like a pliers or something.

I actually use a pair of Kleins (I think they're formally called lineman's pliers) that does the trick beautifully and easily, thanks to the heavy weight of the tool. 

Assuming you mean hand stitching... I just use a small pair of needle nose , with fine teeth, no teeth would prob be better but as cheap as needles are its ok if they get a little screwed. However assuming your hand stitching and having trouble getting the needle threw I would assume your holes are just not large enough for the needle that you are using, I have found that to be an issue, If I cant pass a needle through by hand after punching holes I just don't do it, Or I down size my needle if possible, that has limited me to what I can and cant do, And that's why I purchased a sewing machine, to do what I cant do by hand.... Just my two cents.

I use a small pair of needlenose pliers.

If you're going to use pliers, wrap the jaws in electrical tape. It adds a little bit of grip and won't scuff the needle. Hopefully you won't need to use them on every stitch, because that would take a long time and be annoying. See if a smaller needle or larger hole is a possibility.

5 hours ago, Hairic said:

Assuming you mean hand stitching..

I was thinking the same thing. However, if its machine sewing sheep skin..... good luck . I try to part the fleece as I'm sewing. Sometimes the fleece gets caught around the feet or needle  :ranting2: . Have some bubble wrap on stand-by to ' relieve the tension'....in your head. 

HS

P.S. I'm glad its not just me that uses pliers when hand stitching , phew !

Edited by Handstitched

In 'normal' leather you should be able to hand stitch and pass the needle through the stitching holes with your fingers for 95% of the time, the exception is when back stitching. There should be just a slight resistance - I've seen it called 'a satisfying drag', but the needles should not be so loose that they fall out on their own. If you're struggling to pass the needles through with your fingers alone, then the holes are too small or the needles are too big, or both

I don't see why sheepskin should be any different, but then, I've never sewn it.

When the needles are tight I use a small pair of general purpose type pliers with wrapped some tape to protect the needles. Also instead of placing the needle along the length of the jaws, place it across so the needle lies along the small grooves of the jaws 

5 hours ago, Handstitched said:

I was thinking the same thing. However, if its machine sewing sheep skin..... good luck . I try to part the fleece as I'm sewing. Sometimes the fleece gets caught around the feet or needle  :ranting2: . Have some bubble wrap on stand-by to ' relieve the tension'....in your head. 

HS

P.S. I'm glad its not just me that uses pliers when hand stitching , phew !

i'm hand sewing the sheepskin

17 hours ago, MedusaOblongata said:

If you're going to use pliers, wrap the jaws in electrical tape. It adds a little bit of grip and won't scuff the needle. Hopefully you won't need to use them on every stitch, because that would take a long time and be annoying. See if a smaller needle or larger hole is a possibility.

Tbh this is a great suggestion: applying the electrical tape on my Kleins now!

The absolute best thing I found was the rubber finger tips. These grip the needles and don't slip, makes hand sewing a cinch . I tell ya it beats having to pick up a pair of pliers each time you need it. I just put them on my thumb and index figure and sew away LOL :thumbsup:

https://www.officesupply.com/office-supplies/mailing-shipping/mailroom-equipment-supplies/rubber-finger-tips/swingline-rubber-finger-tips-medium-large-amber-dozen/p28431.html?ref=pla&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp28431&sc_intid=28431&gclid=CjwKCAiApfeQBhAUEiwA7K_UH0djcpSi249W0uB07Sm0mzoDit5PbXH2hISVp103M3z3yHflkNqn9BoCrMUQAvD_BwE

I saw a pair of leather gloves on a pattern that had a small push button in the Palm below the thumb for pushing needles.  It was on one of the Leather crafting sites,, just can't remember which one.

Right tool for the job is Needle nose pliers LOL 

16 minutes ago, fredk said:

one version; a sewing palm

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/sewing-palm.html

does anyone have a pattern for these?

Another trick I use is to dab my index finger and thumb tip on both hands with a tiny bit of Barge and let it dry. Most times it gives just the right amount of traction if the stitching is a bit tight and avoids plier use.

I think I saw a pattern in either a Stohlman book or in Tandy's library

I'll think a thunk and try to rememble

Edited by fredk

Well I'm gonna repeat myself give the rubber fingers a try, their cheap and they WORK! they grip needles like pliers . I tried pliers way back and hated them. Broke needles using them .You can find them at staples or online .sewing stores  .:thumbsup:

Excellent advice here on the rubber finger covers.  Also any fleece bearing leather is much more difficult to sew, by machine or hand.

the fleece seems to "catch" the needle (and thread) often.

Coating thread with beeswax then smoothing the wax between your fingers will make your fingers slightly tacky and improve the grip.  The wax coats the needles after a few stitches and also helps.  I think the Osborne harness needles have a proportionately smaller eye.

7 hours ago, fredk said:

one version; a sewing palm

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/photos/sewing-palm.html

Osborne makes left and right handed versions.  The thimble is covered with a metal honeycomb that holds the eye of the needle securely.  https://www.cutexsewingsupplies.com/products/c-s-osborne-sewing-palm-266-rh-for-right-hand-made-in-usa?variant=32878000013365  The palm works pretty well but it's faster to grab a pair of pliers, which work in either hand.

Sewing palms have been used by the Navy for over 100 years.  It was originally made for sailmakers and boatswain mates to sew canvas sail cloth.  

On 4/10/2022 at 10:22 AM, Outfitr said:

Another trick I use is to dab my index finger and thumb tip on both hands with a tiny bit of Barge and let it dry. Most times it gives just the right amount of traction if the stitching is a bit tight and avoids plier use.

This is actually kinda clever - might use it if I can't find my rubber glove fingers!