benfanman

Hand stamping delrin stamp?

Hey all,

So, I recently got some delrin stamps from @allgoodleather (on Instagram), but I'm worried about how to manually press them into the leather. I've been using a maul for a custom stamp that I got from Springfield Leather, but that stamp is metal. Anyone have any recommendations for how I should stamp in my maker's mark without buying an arbor press/some kind of machine? Thanks in advance for the help! 

Best,

Ben

Delrin is a synthetic material that has been used for pocketknife handles for years. I would suggest an arbor press with a hole for the shaft and many do not come that way. Or maybe a modified large C clamp. 

You say makers mark so im guessing the delrin stamp in question is relatively small in size? If so you probably could get by with some sort of clamp for a small makers mark stamp. A press is the best way to go for sure. I use a 12 ton shop press from northern tool a bigger press like this can be used for alot more then the arbor presses and there about the same cost as a good arbor press. With the bigger press you can set up for bigger delrin stamps and embossing plates along with clicker dies if you plan to advance in the future. Buy once, cry once.

12 hours ago, benfanman said:

Hey all,

So, I recently got some delrin stamps from @allgoodleather (on Instagram), but I'm worried about how to manually press them into the leather. I've been using a maul for a custom stamp that I got from Springfield Leather, but that stamp is metal. Anyone have any recommendations for how I should stamp in my maker's mark without buying an arbor press/some kind of machine? Thanks in advance for the help! 

Best,

Ben

As mentioned above, a cheap arbor press from HF would work great, but you can also sandwich your stamp and leather between a table top and a piece of wood and slowly crank down some C-clamps...leave it for about 15 seconds or so, depending on how wet and thick your leather piece is. 

I use them with a nylon hammer. Works just fine.

On 2/28/2022 at 8:15 PM, mrwatch said:

Delrin is a synthetic material that has been used for pocketknife handles for years. I would suggest an arbor press with a hole for the shaft and many do not come that way. Or maybe a modified large C clamp. 

Great! I think that C clamp tip will be handy. 

On 2/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, HandyDave said:

You say makers mark so im guessing the delrin stamp in question is relatively small in size? If so you probably could get by with some sort of clamp for a small makers mark stamp. A press is the best way to go for sure. I use a 12 ton shop press from northern tool a bigger press like this can be used for alot more then the arbor presses and there about the same cost as a good arbor press. With the bigger press you can set up for bigger delrin stamps and embossing plates along with clicker dies if you plan to advance in the future. Buy once, cry once.

I’m a bit cramped for space, so I won’t be able to get that big of a press. Will look into some smaller arbor presses though! 

13 hours ago, PastorBob said:

As mentioned above, a cheap arbor press from HF would work great, but you can also sandwich your stamp and leather between a table top and a piece of wood and slowly crank down some C-clamps...leave it for about 15 seconds or so, depending on how wet and thick your leather piece is. 

Thanks, PastorBob! I think that wood tip is handy - I’ll keep that in mind. 

5 hours ago, bgentle said:

I use them with a nylon hammer. Works just fine.

Hm, I think I’d have trouble keep the stamp in place - any suggestions for that?

If it is a round shank typical makers stamp I just use a maul. Mine have held well for several hundred strikes

I use a drill press in many instances where an arbor press would be used. Setting snaps and grommets (of course the motor is off) it is also good for mounting a sewing awl blade and it will push it through three layers of 8oz veg tan easily.

I make my own delrin stamps and just use a mallets works fine.:yes:

6 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I make my own delrin stamps and just use a mallets works fine.:yes:

Hmm okay! The maker said that using a maul might damage it, so I was worried about that - thanks! 

I make my stamps from 1and1/4" delrin rods and 1.5 inchs tall , gives me room to hold the stamp while I strike it with the mallet.Its a dead blow so no bounce.:yes:

9 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I make my stamps from 1and1/4" delrin rods and 1.5 inchs tall , gives me room to hold the stamp while I strike it with the mallet.Its a dead blow so no bounce.:yes:

That last bit is important, you don't the hammer/maul to bounce and give a double impression! Dead blow hammer is the way to happiness.