NDphung

Number of times you pierced the thread when threading for saddle stitch?

I dunno but i pierced my thumb twice today does that count?

1 minute ago, chuck123wapati said:

I dunno but i pierced my thumb twice today does that count?

:NEWFUNNYPOST:

10 hours ago, NDphung said:

Does your thread ever slide off the needle if not what kind of thread and size you are using? Is it waxed? Personally I always pull the thread down on the slanted hole and goes on top with the other needle. Less piercing of the thread. 

Sometimes, yes...but mostly when I'm not paying attention, or when the thread becomes short. I have a variety of threads I use, from waxed linen to waxed flat synthetic. I find the flat threads don't catch the needle as often. 
And yes, I pull the thread like you mention, and it does indeed help. it also helps to size the needle and thread to the hole. Too large of a needle, and more stabbing happens.

I too never pierce the thread, on a long stitch line when the thread gets frayed I just move the thread along. absolutely no need to pierce the thread. On the subject of piercing the thread whilst sewing, if you get both needles crossing in the hole you will never pierce the thread but  if things are a bit tight, before I resort to one needle at a time I'll try to use the front portion of the needle where it tapers down a bit.

So i was doing a holster today and the curvature of it was a pain in the a** to sew i couldn't see one side. So i figured i would try the two needles in one hole simultaneously trick. I've seen it done but it always felt awkward to me, i do one needle then the other. well it works well for finding your holes and helped a bunch however I still pierced the thread a couple of times right at the eye of the opposing needle and my thumb a couple times lol. But that's how a guy learns, leather work is always a new problem and a new solution with new techniques learned as we go.

I do one piercing. I have tried more but not found any benefit to it. I use 1.8mm chisels, 0.6 to 1mm tiger thread and significant tension, so if I do not pierce the thread, the needle will slide right off the thread before I get ten stitches in.

I hand stitch a LOT and use tiger thread almost exclusively. I pierce once about 3/4" up from the end pull it down to the eye and stitch away.