Besthorsegear

Leather strap sticking to needle

Sewing 16 oz (3 layers) strap with a Cobra Class 4, the needle stars squeaking in the leather, then grabs the strap and pulls it up, often missing a stitch.  What am I doing wrong?

Edited by Besthorsegear
omittied class 4

@Besthorsegear Moved your post to "Leather Sewing Machines". 

You can use lubricated thread and/or tighten down the presser foot pressure to stop the leather pulling the foot up. 

You'll find more specific helps in this forum.

5 hours ago, Besthorsegear said:

Sewing 16 oz (3 layers) strap with a Cobra Class 4, the needle stars squeaking in the leather, then grabs the strap and pulls it up, often missing a stitch.  What am I doing wrong?

Your needle is too small for the density of the leather and size of the lockstitch knots. Move up on size and the problem should resolve itself.

Could the foot pressure be set too low, on top of what Wizcrafts said?

5 hours ago, DrmCa said:

Could the foot pressure be set too low, on top of what Wizcrafts said?

If the OP moves up one needle size, the foot pressure won't need to be increased. This assumes a short step up, like from a 23 to a 24, or a 24 to a 25. I just went through this myself where I tried using a #23 needle with #207 thread on a bridle leather belt. It started lifting immediately. I moved up to a #24 needle and actually was able to back off the foot pressure.

Got it! Thank you!

Should have said, I"m using a #25 needle with #277 thread.  Thanks for the help!

4 hours ago, Besthorsegear said:

Should have said, I"m using a #25 needle with #277 thread.  Thanks for the help!

That combination generally works for me with 2-3 layers of 9-10oz HO bridle. Also check for a burr on your needle, and that your foot movement and timing are correct. 

12 hours ago, Besthorsegear said:

What point does your #25 needle have? The best shape for ease of penetration is the inline S point, followed by the D or tri point. The worst is the round point which tends to get stuck in the leather. You may have to add more foot pressure too if the leather keeps lifting.

If you have a pack of #26 needles in S point, try using one instead of the #25.

If you have a lube pot on top, fill it with liquid silicon and run the top thread through it. You will need to back off the tension  to compensate for the additional drag of going through the pot.

Thanks!  I ordered some S point needles.  And added a little foot pressure.