Hello hope evryones doing good and having fun. I have a couple of questions about the use of tallow and liver. First can you use tallow on any rawhide gear such as romel reins, bosals, and reatas ect... 2nd Does it ever go rancid and start stinkin makin your gear have a odor. 3rd How much do you use and how often. I've used the vaqureo rawhide cream and like it but it's kind of pricey and lastly I read somewhere about useing liver on a reata. What do you use it for and how do you use it and prepare it to be used so you dont have blood all over your gear and do you just use it on reata's only. Just some stuff I was wondering about and would like to try and use. THANKS Mike

Rawhide, I have not used tallow or liver but if you find Vaquero cream too pricey you can use white saddle soap instead and it works just fine.

Vaya Con Dios, Alan Bell

Old Pirates yes, they rob I, sold I to merchant ships. Minutes after they took I from the bottomless pit
Bob Marley - Redemption Songs

Thanks Mr. Bell I will try that when I run out of the cream.

If you use tallow it should be cleaned and rendered and it wount go rancid and can be used on any gear but sparingly as needed, to much can pickup alot of dirt. as for the tallow and liver on a reata it sould be tallowed and allowed to soak in on a warm day then the liver is used to seal it, it is put on raw and allowed to dry, what it does is keep the tallow from picking up alot of dirt, similar to what blood drys like on your hands, it is done as needed in normal use. if you dont have it white saddlesoap like Alan said works well too, or the vaquaro creme.

Thank you for your replie KAW. With everything considered (ease of getting) I think I will use the white saddle soap that Mr Bell and you suggested. Mike