Tequila

Stitch Groovers and Head Knives

I’ve bought 2 stitch groovers from “big name” suppliers and have been disappointed.  I’ve checked on Bruce Johnson’s site, currently he doesn’t have any, so I sent him an email and asked him if he would let me know when he got any in.  Besides Barry King where can I get a good quality groover that won’t get dull after a few uses, I’d like one with a good edge guide. 

Speaking of dull, I’ve got a Stohlman head knife and it’s about as sharp as the back end of a nail.  I’ve tried sharpening it a few times, even putting on the bench grinder to re-profile the edge and it won’t keep an edge.  Anyone have any recommendations for a better knife?  Again, I keep checking on Bruce’s site in the hopes he’ll have one that won’t kill the budget. 

Happy with Osborne round knives, but you'll have to sharpen them.  #70, #71, #73  An alternative to a stitch groover is a scratch compass.  Osborne #34 or this one, which must be very nice https://www.ranch2arena.com/collections/horse-shoe-brand-tools/scratch-compass#MainContent   Have you tried sharpening your current groovers?  Can cut a groove in heavy leather, fill it with jewelers rouge, and strop the blade.  It's possible there's a burr inside the hole.  Can use a welding torch reamer to lightly dress inside, stroking from the back towards the front (sharp) edge so you don't round the cutting edge.  I rarely cut a groove for stitch lines.  You're removing the strongest part of the leather.

Edited by TomE

My original stitch groover I bought from Tandy some 25 or so years ago . . . has the original blade in it  . . .  it still works fine . . . and all I've ever done with it is use it.

I have both the fancy adjustable one and the cheap one designed to be set for one distance . . . that is my baby . . . 

Actually have both . . . use the fancy one very seldom.  The other one is on every belt . . . every sheath . . . every holster . . . and a boat load of other things I've made down thru the years.

Try it . . . you'll like it.

May God bless,

Dwight

Sharpening a stitching groover is easy, just load some thread with stropping compound and pull it backwards through the hole to strop the tiny blade inside. I didn't need to do it very often as even with the cheap Tandy groover I was using, I only needed to do it occasionally. Now I don't need to sharpen it at all as I no longer use a stitching groover, I mark my stitching line with dividers 

It is normal to sharpen and strop your round knife frequently, it's just one of the things you get used to. I don't have the Al Stohlman round knife; I hear it's not the best, but even so you should be able to get it sharp enough. 

There are a few YouTube videos on sharpening a stitching groover, and several on sharpening a round or head knife. 

14 hours ago, Tequila said:

Anyone have any recommendations for a better knife?

Anyone near you that makes or sharpens  knives, you local hardware perhaps? Perhaps they can help you sharpen the one you have?  

I've had my groover for quite some years, never had to sharpen it . 

HS

I've got the Al Stohlman head knife from Tandy and it's very easy to sharpen and holds an edge well.  I do have to strop it before each project but I no longer have to use my diamond stone on it.  

I watched a few YouTube videos on sharpening a head knife.  Weaver Leather has a good one.  Just take your time.  

I would suggest the Versa Groover by Douglas tools. They are out of Wyoming.