Hi, 
I have just learnt about the different types of leather used in shoes, boots
eg nubuck, action leather, full grain leather etc
I bought these boots as the manufacturer stated that they are "full grain leather"
these are unused boots, and it looks like the leather has creased away from the base.
Is this something full grain would do?
(Portwest steelite s3 thor work boots )

thor.jpg

Well look at that ! This is not full grain "whatever that is"

one   A  plated finished split with a plastic or acrylic coating

two  Top grain plated and finished.

three  The above cut on the belly, the wrinkles will always show up.

four  Final assembly may have ironed the boot and lifted the finish.

five  If expensive the price was based on marketing not quality.

Many thanks ljk,
those were £30 boots, only bought because of the manufacturer stated that they were full grain leather.
https://activeweargroup.com/portwest-steelite-thor-boot-s3-fw11-p3099/s54676

Below, are pics of Screwfix Site , Nubuck leather,  which lasted 3 mths.. 
https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-amethyst-safety-boots-brown-size-7/2274R

I don't think many people, myself included, know what they are getting with "leather"!

I've also some sterling steel boots which apport to being full grain...at least they smell like leather, if that's a sign of anything !
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sterling-Unisex-Adult-SS807SM-Safety-10/dp/B001U0OEB0/

site2.jpg

site.jpg

Last photo, just above your index finger nail, is that cloth showing through or just an artifact from the computer.....sure looks woven.

My boots are always Red Wing 2218 loggers, and they are leather.....  and marked, made in USA! 

God bless       

Edited by MikeRock

Hi Mike,
that's the boot, it does look to have a fabric base.
I've been in touch with the manufacturer of the black boots in the first picture, and they have confirmed that they are full grain leather.
There's so much confusion !
Anywho, it's been a learning experience
Thanks All
Liam
ps on a side note, for interest, the quality is going down of old classics
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/nov/30/are-things-going-wrong-with-the-uk-beloved-dr-martens-brand
solovair is supposed to be a lot better quality ..

Edited by liammcl
adding

6 hours ago, liammcl said:

ps on a side note, for interest, the quality is going down of old classics
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2019/nov/30/are-things-going-wrong-with-the-uk-beloved-dr-martens-brand
solovair is supposed to be a lot better quality ..

My older Dr Martens (made in UK, actual leather) are still in decent condition (though the soles are worn). The newer ones...what is supposed to be leather is not, and the fabric/leather combination has torn at the heels of both shoes. I'm tempted to just make my own uppers out of real leather.

Full grain, Genuine leather, Leather and so on are not quality standards they are just marketing tools, Only Top Grain means anything

For the price of the boots you listed, you are getting what you pay for, $50 boots are for the most part going to be trash and not made from leather. You can either by a new pair of boots every 3-6 months or buy an actual pair of boots and have them for years. I typically buy boots for $200-400.00 and they will all last me years and when the soles wear out you have them resoled.  

16 hours ago, chrisash said:

Full grain, Genuine leather, Leather and so on are not quality standards they are just marketing tools, Only Top Grain means anything

Thanks, I have just realised that...I have wised up !

11 hours ago, Rubicon04 said:

For the price of the boots you listed, you are getting what you pay for, $50 boots are for the most part going to be trash and not made from leather. You can either by a new pair of boots every 3-6 months or buy an actual pair of boots and have them for years. I typically buy boots for $200-400.00 and they will all last me years and when the soles wear out you have them resoled.  

Thanks , I know that  now.
I think i'll get 2nd hand ones from gumtree as new condition for $25.
I'll go for the replacing in 3 mths, as I like a change of bootery

18 hours ago, DJole said:

My older Dr Martens (made in UK, actual leather) are still in decent condition (though the soles are worn). The newer ones...what is supposed to be leather is not, and the fabric/leather combination has torn at the heels of both shoes. I'm tempted to just make my own uppers out of real leather.

yes, I was looking at making some, that would be pretty awesome.
but for me, I'll make do with the cheapo throw away ones, as I use them for leaflet dropping, maybe 3 hours a day.

Now we go silly . . .  I needed a pair of "work" boots a couple years ago  . . .  but not for anything that would be considered serious work.

I bought a pair of lace up . . . high top boots . . . rubber cushion soles . . . think they were like 25 dollars American . . . turned out to be full . . . absolute . . .  real leather.  

Actually a darn good pair of boots . . . and I'm still wearing them.

May God bless,

Dwight

Just an update... as the boots were going in the bin...
I took the plasticy top layer off, and scruffed the base it was bonded to.
I think the weakness is the covering, because as soon as it flakes or allows water , mud to ingress, the boot becomes unsightly.
I was half tempted to try and "rat look" he boots by taking the plastic cover off using nail polish remover (acetone)...
Ps I have a better camera for close up pics, if anyone wants one, just shout
Cheers
Liam

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

s3.jpg

20 hours ago, Dwight said:

Now we go silly . . .  I needed a pair of "work" boots a couple years ago  . . .  but not for anything that would be considered serious work.

I bought a pair of lace up . . . high top boots . . . rubber cushion soles . . . think they were like 25 dollars American . . . turned out to be full . . . absolute . . .  real leather.  

Actually a darn good pair of boots . . . and I'm still wearing them.

May God bless,

Dwight

That is awesome !
ps loving your site...never seen a gun holder, tbh. Looks great .

Edited by liammcl
offer of better quality pic

34 minutes ago, liammcl said:

Just an update... as the boots were going in the bin...
I took the plasticy top layer off, and scruffed the base it was bonded to.
I think the weakness is the covering, because as soon as it flakes or allows water , mud to ingress, the boot becomes unsightly.
I was half tempted to try and "rat look" he boots by taking the plastic cover off using nail polish remover (acetone)...
Ps I have a better camera for close up pics, if anyone wants one, just shout
Cheers
Liam

That is awesome !
ps loving your site...never seen a gun holder, tbh. Looks great .

Just a note . . . I don't know if you can get the product . . . here it is called Resolene . . . it is an acrylic leather finish.  Another one we use . . . it is a floor polish . . . called Mop and Glo.

Cut either of them 50 / 50 with water . . . and brush the product on your shoes.  Might take 4 coats . . . let em dry a couple hours between coats . . . might make those boots last you long enough to work out the cash for better ones.

There is a fellow in UK . . . don't recall his name or website . . . makes some of the most beautiful holsters for the old .45 automatic from WW1 and WW2 days.  Not sure how he managed to get and hang on to a .45 auto . . . but he shows pictures with it.

Good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

43 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Just a note . . . I don't know if you can get the product . . . here it is called Resolene . . . it is an acrylic leather finish.  Another one we use . . . it is a floor polish . . . called Mop and Glo.

Cut either of them 50 / 50 with water . . . and brush the product on your shoes.  Might take 4 coats . . . let em dry a couple hours between coats . . . might make those boots last you long enough to work out the cash for better ones.

There is a fellow in UK . . . don't recall his name or website . . . makes some of the most beautiful holsters for the old .45 automatic from WW1 and WW2 days.  Not sure how he managed to get and hang on to a .45 auto . . . but he shows pictures with it.

Good luck.

May God bless,

Dwight

Many thanks Dwight ,
Great ideas, there! 
Interesting , how it seems the boot manufacturers have put a ,quite thick, waterproof coating on the boots, which when it comes off, leaves a crater !
Maybe the "leather" underneath was unsightly, and the coating served a dual purpose.
Many Thanks to all who replied,
it's been a learning experience !
Cheers
Liam
http://www.flipping-technology.co.uk/

50 minutes ago, liammcl said:

Many thanks Dwight ,
Great ideas, there! 
Interesting , how it seems the boot manufacturers have put a ,quite thick, waterproof coating on the boots, which when it comes off, leaves a crater !
Maybe the "leather" underneath was unsightly, and the coating served a dual purpose.
Many Thanks to all who replied,
it's been a learning experience !
Cheers
Liam
http://www.flipping-technology.co.uk/

Didn't see a place there on your web site . . .  where we could get hold of you . . . 

With these stinking electronic boxes . . . always needing some advice . . . not sure we could do that phone number . . .  I'm used to not having to pay for any phone calls . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

44 minutes ago, Dwight said:

Didn't see a place there on your web site . . .  where we could get hold of you . . . 

With these stinking electronic boxes . . . always needing some advice . . . not sure we could do that phone number . . .  I'm used to not having to pay for any phone calls . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

well spotted Dwight !
As, I print flyers on the go , at home,
sometimes , I have a different number on the flyer if I am trying a new area at the weekend,
in far away place (eg 100 miles lol, bet that's nothing to you guys :)

When I'm not working, I spend 3-4 hours walking the streets, putting flyers out, trying to drum up business., that's probably why the boots fall apart so quick.
(looking on forums , work boots have a life expectancy of 500 miles, or about 6 mths)
It's a great way to get exercise and see a local area.

(I'm after a steel toe cap and a steel midsole, anti shock, and anti slip, and ones that look good for customers)

Thanks for all the info , everyone.
It's been fascinating to learn a little about leather !

Cheers All
Liam
Impressed with the brown one, sterling steel ss807sm (£30) ...time will tell

s4.jpg