29 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Real food comes in a jar without labels... My wifes passion is canning. Sweet and sour ,mildly spicey. 

pickles.JPG

MMMMMM  home canned  bread and butter?    my FAVORITE

Handstitched the bacon steaks come from this store.  

pig3.png.207124610b8abee8f17256ecffdcdad2.png

3 minutes ago, Frodo said:

MMMMMM  home canned  bread and butter?    my FAVORITE

Handstitched the bacon steaks come from this store.  

pig3.png.207124610b8abee8f17256ecffdcdad2.png

man i wish we had them up here, i'm sure the ranchers and farmers dont though lol

I'll share one of my favorite recipes with you

this called  ''smoking a fatty''

2 pounds ground sausage.  rolled out  cover it with what ever you wish 

roll it up, cover with bacon  and place in your smoke at 200 degrees till done

if you do not have a smoker it can be cooked on a grill or in an oven

1673998445_smokefatty.jpg.6dfb797cf8bd6d7258a791df56c360a2.jpg

976723947_smokefatty1.jpg.860776621c2b9606d393508d3c503c58.jpg

bacon.jpg.08c72b4b9becbdae70ca35092bb2d08e.jpg

4 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

man i wish we had them up here, i'm sure the ranchers and farmers dont though lol

They cause millions in damage and they kill live stock.  I have friends who kill them  as a business

Hi tech night vision on drones  and they use AR's mostly

10 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I'll share one of my favorite recipes with you

this called  ''smoking a fatty''

2 pounds ground sausage.  rolled out  cover it with what ever you wish 

roll it up, cover with bacon  and place in your smoke at 200 degrees till done

if you do not have a smoker it can be cooked on a grill or in an oven

1673998445_smokefatty.jpg.6dfb797cf8bd6d7258a791df56c360a2.jpg

976723947_smokefatty1.jpg.860776621c2b9606d393508d3c503c58.jpg

bacon.jpg.08c72b4b9becbdae70ca35092bb2d08e.jpg

:thumbsup: yum gonna try that!! thanks, I have some elk sausage in the freezer...right now i'm Corning a nice big chunk of elk for St. Pattys day.

3 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

:thumbsup: yum gonna try that!! thanks, I have some elk sausage in the freezer...right now i'm Corning a nice big chunk of elk for St. Pattys day.

Tip

put it in the freezer for 1/2 hour. it makes rolling it up easier and the meat does not pull apart

Rrrrrrright you two !! stop it. Making me salivate.....geez !!!   :) :) 

22 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Real food comes in a jar without labels

Yep, I second that !!! Every Christmas, Mum makes homemade piccalilli,   a ye olde pommy ( engilsh) delicacy , and theres always a few jars left  over  after Christmas ....maturing in the cupboard . Goes so well with  leg ham, cold beef or pork  left overs, cheese,  and another pommy fave, pork pies ...or on its own . Its choccas full of turmeric, so keep it away from clothing and formica/laminated kitchen benches unless you intend changing the colour...to yellow .  Might  even be good as a dye?? hmmmm? 

23 hours ago, chuck123wapati said:

Oh heck yea and the aroma cooking over a open fire makes it even better.

The taste from cooking on coals and open fires is phenomenal . That can't be replicated in an oven or a fry pan. 

HS 

@Frodo I've tried looking for those bacon steaks........no chance .I may have  to go to some ' boutique' butcher . 

While on the subject of food,  after Christmas, when the turkey & ham have done their dash, both the carcass & bones are frozen for Winter and then used for some really  hearty & tasty soups. Yummo :yes:

HS 

This is my local butcher where i get my bacon steaks

6C5AD247-0A44-4295-97B1-BDD180938308-5874-00000CF60B3872AD.thumb.jpg.97f5d1405da55990ce898022f1708968.jpg

409_9765142.jpg

Edited by Frodo

I now have an intense craving for bacon steak... a food I didn't even know existed until now. :wub:

The young chap is  a little young to run a butcher shop ...just kidding  :) 

21 hours ago, ButtonLady said:

I now have an intense craving for bacon steak

I feel your craving, I've looked everywhere for them . Nothing comes close. 

Now to make our cravings  worse:  bacon steaks cooked over hot coals, with fresh eggs, a few sausages, and black pudding ( aka blood pudding, or blood sausage....Scottish recipe) , and fresh hot  damper ( Aussie bush  bread ) , and perhaps a beer . 

Sorry

HS

I hate you all:oops:not really just so hungry now:yes:Chuck those trout look delicious, send me a couple with a couple of those bacon wrapped jalapenos:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, Bert03241 said:

I hate you all:oops:not really just so hungry now:yes:Chuck those trout look delicious, send me a couple with a couple of those bacon wrapped jalapenos:thumbsup:

And would you like a cold beer too:)? lol we really need a leather workers favorite recipe book.

@chuck123wapati do you have black pudding ( blood pudding )  over there ?  Its an acquired delicacy , but yum  :) 

BlackPudding 2.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

@chuck123wapati do you have black pudding ( blood pudding )  over there ?  Its an acquired delicacy , but yum  :) 

BlackPudding 2.jpeg

i have heard of it but never actually tried it. It looks delicious. I make my own summer sausages and brats from elk and deer. 

smoked trout anyone and fresh caviar? Spring is here and the lake will be opening up. German browns spawn first and hit like a starving tiger lol. time for some fresh food!

smoked fish.JPG

caviar.jpg

20 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

smoked trout anyone and fresh caviar?

Geez that looks so damn good  . Yep definitely a recipe book in the making here.

Theres an assortment of black pudding recipes , the Scottish recipe is my fave. Not too fatty, but still plenty of flavour, not too spicy either ( like the Irish recipe ) . 

We're at the tail end of Summer here, April can still produce some warm days  , but  the cooler nights are making themselves known ... a few months then its our Winter...and its home made soup time , &  curries ....YES  *fist pump* 

A bit off topic here, but the best thing about living in the bush ( central wheatbelt WA ) , is the beautiful changing seasons , don't see that in the busy cities. People are too busy to pay attention. 

HS

1 hour ago, Handstitched said:

Geez that looks so damn good  . Yep definitely a recipe book in the making here.

Theres an assortment of black pudding recipes , the Scottish recipe is my fave. Not too fatty, but still plenty of flavour, not too spicy either ( like the Irish recipe ) . 

We're at the tail end of Summer here, April can still produce some warm days  , but  the cooler nights are making themselves known ... a few months then its our Winter...and its home made soup time , &  curries ....YES  *fist pump* 

A bit off topic here, but the best thing about living in the bush ( central wheatbelt WA ) , is the beautiful changing seasons , don't see that in the busy cities. People are too busy to pay attention. 

HS

Man i love a good hearty stew with some fresh bread. lol i hear ya if i had to live in a city i would die, Its fianlly warm enough to start taking our morning walks, we go out of town about a mile and walk in the country, smell the fresh morning air, watch the sunrise and just get our head straight for about a hour or so sure makes the day better.

26 minutes ago, chuck123wapati said:

Man i love a good hearty stew with some fresh bread. lol i hear ya if i had to live in a city i would die, Its fianlly warm enough to start taking our morning walks, we go out of town about a mile and walk in the country, smell the fresh morning air, watch the sunrise and just get our head straight for about a hour or so sure makes the day better.

That smoked trout is right up my ally. 

When I smoke a brisket.  my wife takes the left overs and makes a hearty stew

While we are talking food and recipes.  i have one for a working family

This recipe is my go to after a long day at work, i do NOT feel like cooking, kids are yelling they are hungry and I do not want to hear it..

2 frozen 9'' pie shells. 1 large can of dinty moor stew or equivalent

open can, pour into pie shell. cover with the the shell. put in oven at 350 degrees.  tell the kids to make a salad 

this is a fantastic desert

poe.png.05f5ea6de956c335db3c32b716dad6be.png

41 minutes ago, Frodo said:

That smoked trout is right up my ally. 

When I smoke a brisket.  my wife takes the left overs and makes a hearty stew

While we are talking food and recipes.  i have one for a working family

This recipe is my go to after a long day at work, i do NOT feel like cooking, kids are yelling they are hungry and I do not want to hear it..

2 frozen 9'' pie shells. 1 large can of dinty moor stew or equivalent

open can, pour into pie shell. cover with the the shell. put in oven at 350 degrees.  tell the kids to make a salad 

Heck yea!! We make a similar dish by putting our leftover roast, gravy, potatoes, carrots etc, chopped up in a baking pan then a dozen biskets on top and bake.

44 minutes ago, Frodo said:

this is a fantastic desert

poe.png.05f5ea6de956c335db3c32b716dad6be.png

this sounds good too. Not many banana leaves in wyoming but i can get the rest lol. 

here is a  fast and east tamale recipe

tamales.png.4da15040854458caf527721e33fb8c2d.png

Here ya go my friends, @Frodo & @chuck123wapati

Kangaroo steaks were on tonights menu .  For those on a low fat diet ( not me)  with  high protein & iron , these are ideal . Hardly any fat.  Just a little  salt and pepper seasoning , cooked for 3-4 mins on each side...and thats it.  Just like beef steak, they can be seasoned with your fave herbs spices etc. or marinated.  Best not to cook for too long  due to the low fat content. 

We are the only country that eats their own national emblem   . I have eaten Emu  steaks  ( pronounced ' eemyoo ') ,  so tasty,  but harder to find and more ex$y. They have a strong game flavour.

(My trusty BBQ is about 28 years old , all cast iron, glad I kept it. The newies these days are cheap & thin) 

HS

Kangaroo Steaks 001.jpg

Kangaroo Steaks 003.jpg

45 minutes ago, Handstitched said:

Here ya go my friends, @Frodo & @chuck123wapati

Kangaroo steaks were on tonights menu .  For those on a low fat diet ( not me)  with  high protein & iron , these are ideal . Hardly any fat.  Just a little  salt and pepper seasoning , cooked for 3-4 mins on each side...and thats it.  Just like beef steak, they can be seasoned with your fave herbs spices etc. or marinated.  Best not to cook for too long  due to the low fat content. 

We are the only country that eats their own national emblem   . I have eaten Emu  steaks  ( pronounced ' eemyoo ') ,  so tasty,  but harder to find and more ex$y. They have a strong game flavour.

(My trusty BBQ is about 28 years old , all cast iron, glad I kept it. The newies these days are cheap & thin) 

HS

Kangaroo Steaks 001.jpg

Kangaroo Steaks 003.jpg

oh yea now those look good indeed!  I think i could handle some roo just fine. Do you hunt them? That grill rocks my friend looks like its done its share of fine cooking too.