MtlBiker

Edge Creaser

I'm thinking of buying an Osborne edge creaser, specifically the model 21.  I see 5 sizes listed... are those sizes the distance from the edge of the leather or the depth or width of the crease?  (Beginner question.)  I don't see that explained on any of the web sites I'd seen with that product.  Would a #1 (1/16") and #5 (1/8") be a good first choice for most cases?

And about using the creaser, I've seen videos where the creaser is heated before creasing and others where the leather is made wet before creasing.  Are there pros/cons to either method?  Do you crease before or after marking the stitch line and stitching?

I'm making some small pouches and card holders and would like to make the edges more attractive.

Thanks!

I found the following on a website, the sizes pertain to the width of the crease.  1=1/16; 2=5/64; 3=3/32, 4=7/64, 5=1/8.

The finer the work, the narrower you go in my opinion.  For example, for a watch strap, especially for a dress watch, the 1/16" would be nice.  For a more rugged leather strap for a sports watch, then wider is OK.  For larger items, bags and briefcases and such, the #5, 1/8" creaser would probably work best.

I don't heat mine, I prefer to wet the leather and it works well for my purposes.  However, I've seen excellent results using heat and the electric creasers are the cat's pajamas if you want to invest in them.  There are threads on them here where you can find recommendations if you are interested.  They are by no means necessary, but having one would be nice.

You can also go on youtube and watch some tutorials on creasing.  There's one from Tandy which covers the basics, but it doesn't discuss using heat and doesn't address electric creasers either.  But there are several which do.  Worth a look.  

And yes, I agree that creases add to a project.  To me it adds a level of interest on otherwise nondescript portions of the work.  They add some class and professionalism in my opinion.  But they probably aren't necessary on every project either.  You have to judge each on its merits.

And regarding your question about when to crease, I do it before marking my stitching line with dividers.  I don't know that there is a right or wrong, just make sure that the edge of the leather is perfectly straight.  The creaser and the dividers simply follow the edge.  If the edge is wonky, then guess what?

I have an Osborne #21 size 3 creaser.  IMO it needed some reshaping when new to work properly, like all Osborne tools.  The creasing edge was sharp and cut into the grain.  The outside flange had machining marks that caused it to drag on the edge of the leather.  I used a round Arkansas stone slip covered with wet/dry paper and a buffing wheel to get it into shape.  I like the Osborne tools but they require some attention to work properly.  I really like the Vergez-Blanchard screw crease right out of the box, but I am creasing 8-10 oz leather for tack.

22 minutes ago, Tugadude said:

I found the following on a website, the sizes pertain to the width of the crease.  1=1/16; 2=5/64; 3=3/32, 4=7/64, 5=1/8.

Thank you.  So, the distance of the crease from the edge is the same for all those different creasers?  Hmmm.... does that mean the crease really starts at the edge of the leather?  My understanding is that you use an edge beveler FIRST, before using the creaser.  Is that right? 

I was hoping to get by with just two creasers but maybe I should consider the #1, #3 and the #5.  Not going with an electric creaser for sure, at least not at this point in my leatherworking.

My day job is an art gallery and picture framing business, so I'm particularly concerned with the "look" of an item.  It needs to have class.  So yes, I'm getting a creaser.  Maybe 2 or 3.  :)   I'd like to try making watch straps, and also small pouches and billfolds.  A creaser might let me "put another feather in my lap".  :)

2 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

Thank you.  So, the distance of the crease from the edge is the same for all those different creasers?  Hmmm.... does that mean the crease really starts at the edge of the leather?  My understanding is that you use an edge beveler FIRST, before using the creaser.  Is that right? 

I think the sizes refer to distance from the edge.  You can make the crease line thicker or thinner by shaping and polishing the tool.  For a crease line less than 1/8 in from the edge (using the Osborne #21 size 3), I have better luck creasing before beveling the edge with a small beveler.  You can do it however you like.

10 minutes ago, TomE said:

I have an Osborne #21 size 3 creaser.  IMO it needed some reshaping when new to work properly, like all Osborne tools.  The creasing edge was sharp and cut into the grain.  The outside flange had machining marks that caused it to drag on the edge of the leather.  I used a round Arkansas stone slip covered with wet/dry paper and a buffing wheel to get it into shape.  I like the Osborne tools but they require some attention to work properly.  I really like the Vergez-Blanchard screw crease right out of the box, but I am creasing 8-10 oz leather for tack.

Thank you.  I'm going with the Osborne simply because I can get it easily here in Canada without paying exorbitant shipping charges (plus exchange rate and probably some duty).  I don't mind if I have to smooth out some roughness.  Would you suggest that getting the #3 (only) to start would be a good idea?  I've never made a watch strap but would like to, plus some small pouches, billfolds and credit card holders.

I would ask those who make watch straps and wallets.  My exprience is limited to heavier leathers mostly heating the creaser with an alcohol lamp.  It has a different feel on cased leather so I would experiment.  Another modification I've seen is shortening the creaser relative to the guide (or reversing them to make a left handed tool) to help it rest on the edge.  If yours is difficult to hold on a beveled edge you could consider that modification.

5 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I was hoping to get by with just two creasers but maybe I should consider the #1, #3 and the #5.  Not going with an electric creaser for sure, at least not at this point in my leatherworking.

My day job is an art gallery and picture framing business, so I'm particularly concerned with the "look" of an item.  It needs to have class.  So yes, I'm getting a creaser.  Maybe 2 or 3.  :)   I'd like to try making watch straps, and also small pouches and billfolds.  A creaser might let me "put another feather in my lap".  :)

It is the distance from the edge.  You can also buy an adjustable creaser.  You adjust it to the size you want, the distance away from the edge.

I just received my Osborne 21-3 edge creaser and it's not what I expected...  I bought the middle size (#3, supposedly 3/32") thinking that as a first creaser it might be all I need.  Well, I'm surprised to see that the part that (I think) is supposed to do the creasing is cutting sharp!  Surely it's not supposed to be like this?  What do you think?

IMG_9917.JPG

Yes, that will cut the leather badly. Is that really what Osborne tools look like today? That's pathetic. Looks like it was made with an angle grinder, with a coarse wheel.

Pathetic doesn't come close.......  what a miserable piece of steel.  I hope return postage is free.. 

6 hours ago, MtlBiker said:

I just received my Osborne 21-3 edge creaser and it's not what I expected...  I bought the middle size (#3, supposedly 3/32") thinking that as a first creaser it might be all I need.  Well, I'm surprised to see that the part that (I think) is supposed to do the creasing is cutting sharp!  Surely it's not supposed to be like this?  What do you think?

Yup.  That's what I said previously.  Mine works fine after a bit of smoothing and polishing.  Good time to invest in a buffing wheel.

The newer Osborne creasers bear no resemblance to the vintage originals. They went to a once size fits all head, grind out a groove that may or may not be consistently sized from one to the next, may or may not be in line with the shaft, leave the creasing edge sharp or with a bur. Creasers are not the only tools they have decided to change up.  

Yeah, don't order an Osborne bag punch either.  I was warned that they don't come sharpened.  They hadn't even smoothed down all the welds.  It will have to be shaped (tapered) to even be ready to put an edge on.  If you were to try and use it, it would just mash the leather.  I like my old Osborne tools.  New ones, not at all.

Bruce, so this 'thing' is not a mistake, but the real deal from Osborne?  How can they stay in business shipping crap like this??

I must have a hundred old Osborne tools and there's not a burr or flaw anywhere.

God bless

wow I'll make one before i buy one and i have to fix someone elses mess..

Just a small update...  My dealer has been in touch with Osborne about this creaser and they have agreed that something is wrong and will replace it free of charge.  They're sending the replacement to the dealer and I should have it in about a week.  I'll report what the difference is between the new one and the "old" one.

On 3/21/2022 at 1:41 PM, MtlBiker said:

Just a small update...  My dealer has been in touch with Osborne about this creaser and they have agreed that something is wrong and will replace it free of charge.  They're sending the replacement to the dealer and I should have it in about a week.  I'll report what the difference is between the new one and the "old" one.

I wonder how many other Osborne tools are shipped with “something is wrong”?  It goes to quality control and pride of workmanship, if I have to fix a new tool or complain to get a tool that is made correctly then I would hesitate before buying another tool from them.   I hope Osborne sends you something that is correctly made right out of the box, please let us know how it turns out.

On 3/9/2022 at 7:48 PM, MikeRock said:

How can they stay in business shipping crap like this??

They're trading on the name that was developed over the years and don't give a damn about quality anymore. A sure way to ruin the name and push themselves out of business.

On 3/9/2022 at 9:30 AM, MtlBiker said:

IMG_9917.JPG

I used to work in a grey iron foundry . . . making mostly pump castings . . . lots of our big jobs were smoother than that . . . whatever it is.

May God bless,

Dwight

I just received the Osborne Creaser replacement from my supplier.  Osborne had agreed with them and me that the first one wasn't right.  So Osborne sent replacements to my dealer and they sent me one.

When I got it, the business end was covered in the material (some kind of plastic I think, not wax) to protect it, so it's pretty clear the dealer didn't examine it before sending it out to me.  I opened it, and I'll be damned if I can see any difference between the first defective one and the replacement.  The new one is just as sharp and will cut into the leather instead of just creasing it.  I'm not going to be buying any more Osborne creasers, that's for sure.

IMG_0059.JPG

36 minutes ago, MtlBiker said:

I just received the Osborne Creaser replacement from my supplier.  Osborne had agreed with them and me that the first one wasn't right.  So Osborne sent replacements to my dealer and they sent me one.

When I got it, the business end was covered in the material (some kind of plastic I think, not wax) to protect it, so it's pretty clear the dealer didn't examine it before sending it out to me.  I opened it, and I'll be damned if I can see any difference between the first defective one and the replacement.  The new one is just as sharp and will cut into the leather instead of just creasing it.  I'm not going to be buying any more Osborne creasers, that's for sure.

IMG_0059.JPG

That sucks!  Another good name getting ruined by trying to make things "more efficient" at the cost of a customer.

That is verrrry poor, both the tool and what is becoming of Osbourne.

Last month I bought two cheap creasers out of China. They cost me about £7.60 each.

Creasers, 02LW.jpg

Even their creasing part is superior. Two views of the 2.5mm one

Creasers, 03LW.jpg  Creasers, 04LW.jpg

Here is a little comparison of what you can expect:

1) Amazon.ca listed C.S. Osborne Creaser @ $59.99 ( https://www.amazon.ca/C-S-Osborne-Creaser-Leather-Work/dp/B07GN9QX9T/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2HG68B9G82BXU&keywords=Osborne%2Bedge%2Bcreaser&qid=1648741108&sprefix=osborne%2Bedge%2Bcreaser%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-4&th=1 )

2) Amazon.ca Lsted xxxx @ $22.06 ( https://www.amazon.ca/Leather-Creasing-Beveller-Professional-Trimming/dp/B09L5XX137/ref=sr_1_42?crid=2WAMG7HQ0LMSV&keywords=leather+edge+creaser&qid=1648741358&sprefix=leather+edge+creaser%2Caps%2C100&sr=8-42 )

Look at the pour casing and machining with all the pits of the Osborne Creaser. Something I wouldn't expect from a North American factory particularly with a plus $40 CA price difference when you add in the 1.13 sales tax. I wouldn't mind paying the extra if the item was of the same or better quality then the Chinese version but in this case it's not so. I wonder if Osborne contracted this item out to a second rate Chinese Factory.

kgg