BerkanaLeatherGoods

Head/quartermoon knife restoration

I recently picked up an old french pattern headknife // quartermoon knife that I intend to restore. It is fairly similar to the Blanchard Vergez head knife (“Corchette”?) although the shape is more square. Are there any particular advantages in comparison to a regular head knife or shapes like the Barnsley & Sons Saddlers head knife which I have already? (See attached photo)

The handle is cracked/split in several places, and fitted crookedly by a previous owner. Albeit a small amout of pitting and the tip of the blade being blunt, it’s in okay shape. I’m fairly comfortable replacing the handle and reshaping the edge. Birch or beech is the industry standard, but I’m considering masur/curly birch or bog oak instead for a slightly more interesting handle. Any thoughts here? And is a ferrule strictly necessary? 

E7CF9A79-C69B-4535-9ACC-59488840F2C0.jpeg

32D86207-B377-4102-8604-0ED6FC5BF060.jpeg

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the knife in the top picture is a plough gauge blade. The notch under the handle is there to slot into the guide.

Is there no makers mark on it at all?

Someone with more expertise on old tools may chime in to correct me.

I don't know much about the French Style leather knife, but it's an established design so it must work well enough to remain in production. I imagine it's a what you get used to, although if the internal curve shown on the right hand side is sharp that may well be useful for trimming edges

But it would be nice to see it restored, and although  I expect you are capable enough, there are loads of videos on YouTube about restoring & repairing knives, axes and so on.

Yes, I would use a ferrule; obviously it will reinforce the handle, but it will also provide a nice contrast. If you can't re-use the existing tapered ferrule, a piece of brass or copper tube/pipe will do the job

All the woods you mentioned would be OK; Jacklore uses masur birch, which is nice, but I prefer something plainer, like beech, which is a traditional material for tool handles; still, it's your knife. Here's some masur birch -

Edited by zuludog

15 minutes ago, Apostolos said:

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the knife in the top picture is a plough gauge blade. The notch under the handle is there to slot into the guide.

Is there no makers mark on it at all?

Someone with more expertise on old tools may chime in to correct me.

Thank you for the response. Are you quite sure that it is a plough gauge? The ones I’ve found look quite dissimilar. 

It’s more in the vein of this Solingen French knife. It is completely unmarked though, so I’ll probably never know the maker for sure. 

https://www.abbeyengland.com/solingen-knife-french-4529-fc0171

26675FA4-1D4B-42B7-94AD-F1776ECFE656.jpeg

8 minutes ago, zuludog said:

I imagine it's a what you get used to, although if the internal curve shown on the right hand side is sharp that may well be useful for trimming edges

After a quick sharpen, it seems best proportioned for a bit of skiving or straight lines. 

I’ve been making knives for about 8 years, but tool handles seems a bit different to me somehow. So nice with a bit of input there. 

The original ferrule is long gone, so I’ll have to figure out something there. Thank you for the tip about copper/brass pipe. I might just have to turn the handle the get a good fit!

The knife shown in the OP is an old French style leather knife. I haven't been able to find a picture of one, but Mike Rock has managed to.

This is a plough gauge; yes the knife does look vaguely similar, but is definitely not the same type

https://www.georgebarnsleyandsons.co.uk/product-page/plough-gauge

Edited by zuludog

The blade in question has been claimed by general leather workers, shoe-makers, cobblers, glaziers and carpet fitters

I have one, hardly ever use it though

21 minutes ago, fredk said:

The blade in question has been claimed by general leather workers, shoe-makers, cobblers, glaziers and carpet fitters

It’s an allround tool then. Let’s see how often it’ll be used when I get it working right. 

I’ve got a Barnsley “Saddlers Knife” which I prefer, but I do like to collect and restore vintage tools to some degree. 

21 minutes ago, BerkanaLeatherGoods said:

It’s an allround tool then. Let’s see how often it’ll be used when I get it working right. 

I’ve got a Barnsley “Saddlers Knife” which I prefer, but I do like to collect and restore vintage tools to some degree. 

that will make a wonderful tool heck yea pretty it up with some nice wood or antler if you have access and a new brass or copper ferrule. You need the ferrule because it fits tightly on the wood, the blade shank is slightly larger than the hole in the handle, as its forced in the hole it expands the wood and tightens the ferrule and shank together. the ferule keeps the handle from splitting instead of tightening.

1 hour ago, fredk said:

When I contacted the manufacturer of this knife https://www.abbeyengland.com/solingen-knife-french-4529-fc0171 they sent me to a French company for window-making - it was described as a putty knife, if I remember correctly. But I decided that the one I have is good enough https://www.decocuir.com/cornette-couper-echancree-germany-c2x28422368

Hmm, doesn't look like any putty/glazing knife that I've ever seen, they generally have a little bit of flexibility in them. I'd go with it being a "general purpose" leatherwork knife. Definitely worth restoring.:specool:

https://www.faille-industrie.fr/couteau-demi-lune-p2923

"The shape is designed to remove the fillet material (? not sure about this term) from PVC frames".

Herder themselves list it in the catalogue under Industriemesser - industrial knives, or technical knives.

Just goes to show that the same knife can be used by several crafts.