sojourner999

Consew 206-RB4 oiling mechanism and sewing speed?

Hi,

I have a lead on a consew 206rb-4.  Does this model have to be run at high speed to keep it oiled correctly?  I understand some models need to be run at high speed.  This will be my first industrial and I don’t see myself either wanting to or being able to run it at high speed. 

Can anyone confirm what type of oiling system this has and if it has to be run at high speed to push the oil through the system?

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, sojourner999 said:

Hi,

I have a lead on a consew 206rb-4.  Does this model have to be run at high speed to keep it oiled correctly?  I understand some models need to be run at high speed.  This will be my first industrial and I don’t see myself either wanting to or being able to run it at high speed. 

Can anyone confirm what type of oiling system this has and if it has to be run at high speed to push the oil through the system?

Thanks!

You really need to oil this machine yourself manually.  Every few (I think 8 or so) hours of sewing.  It's very easy, especially all the oiling spots are identified with a red dot.  At least most of them are.  I always tend to oil a little extra in places which have motion.  This model does not have any automatic oiling system (high speed or not), just some wicks and oiling spots.

The 206RB-5 was my first industrial machine and I love it!  I don't know how the model 4 is different but I'm sure it's a great machine.  My suggestion would be to make sure it's in great shape and hasn't been used in a high volume factory situation.  If it has a servo motor that would be great but you can always change a clutch motor to servo yourself for less than $150.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info and parts link!  The pic of the machine (from the seller) looks good.  Doesn’t look worn to me.   I am picking it up tomorrow.  The person selling it had an automotive upholstery business.  He is getting out of the business due to a physical issue.  

i am excited as it looks good, seems to be a fair deal on it, and it is a made in Japan model.  Plus, no need to run at high speed.

I’m sure I’ll be filled with questions after I get it and start t9 get it set up for my use.

thanks!

Congratulations. Made in Japan, great! I just bought a made in Japan Consew too, fixing here up. Congrats to us both!!!! Mine is not a 206RB, but similar.

15 hours ago, sojourner999 said:

Congrats to you!

Thank you sojourner999! Hey, can you post pics of your new Machine? Would love to see it.

Here it is.  After a test run and pre-purchase inspection (thanks @kgg!), it is now at my house.  I couldn’t upload to forum  (files too big), so I shared an iCloud album with 3 pics.  Any issues seeing the pics, please advise.

Consew 206RB-4   TH**** S/N

much more to do, clean, oil, buy a servo motor, check timing, buy extra bobbins and thread, get it set up and start sewing.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Edited by Northmount
Uploaded photos

Thanks to @kgg for sharing invaluable input for what I should look out for while purchasing a used industrial.   

23 hours ago, suzelle said:
7 hours ago, suzelle said:

Thank you sojourner999! Hey, can you post pics of your new Machine? Would love to see it.

Pic posted.  Do you have any pics to post?  Interested in your Consew.

2 hours ago, sojourner999 said:

I couldn’t upload to forum  (files too big), so I shared an iCloud album with 3 pics.  Any issues seeing the pics, please advise.

Yes, we have an issue.  Third party links are often broken due to the person posting the links changing permissions, moving the file, or deleting the file.  Sometimes the third party changes their protocols or goes out of business.  The post and often the thread become useless to future readers.  When you come across posts with broken links that had the info you wanted, maybe you will understand how frustrating that can be.

Please refer to this post for helps and suggestion on how to reduce your file size to fit the restrictions here.

Please post your photos on this site.

6 hours ago, sojourner999 said:

Thanks to @kgg for sharing invaluable input for what I should look out for while purchasing a used industrial.

Glad they helped. A little cleanup and she should be good to go.

Best of Luck,

kgg

7 hours ago, sojourner999 said:

Pic posted.  Do you have any pics to post?  Interested in your Consew.

sojourner,

Very nice! That looks like one Beefy machine! I'm sure that is going to give you a lifetime of great sewing. I really like the way the table is set up! I've been thinking of creating something like that around my table. Yes, I'll post pics of mine as well. She is at the shop, got her all cleaned and tuned and adjusted last Thursday and Friday. Then was able to finish up an upholstery job I had to set aside when my Pfaff quit on me. I'll post those photos later today. Thanks for posting yours!

23 hours ago, Northmount said:

Yes, we have an issue.  Third party links are often broken due to the person posting the links changing permissions, moving the file, or deleting the file.  Sometimes the third party changes their protocols or goes out of business.  The post and often the thread become useless to future readers.  When you come across posts with broken links that had the info you wanted, maybe you will understand how frustrating that can be.

Please refer to this post for helps and suggestion on how to reduce your file size to fit the restrictions here.

Please post your photos on this site.

I was just fixing to try an online resizer and it looks like you may have resized for me.  Sorry for any inconvenience.  If the external link is still there, I will remove it.

Next pics will be resized and uploaded to this site.

thanks!

26 minutes ago, sojourner999 said:

Next pics will be resized

When I downloaded the photos from your host, they were around 400kB so would fit.  They could be sized smaller down to say 1280 x 1024 pixels approximately and be even smaller.  I didn't check to see if there was a choice of resolution for the downloads, but if there is, it may be an easy method for you to use.

21 hours ago, suzelle said:

sojourner,

Very nice! That looks like one Beefy machine! I'm sure that is going to give you a lifetime of great sewing. I really like the way the table is set up! I've been thinking of creating something like that around my table. Yes, I'll post pics of mine as well. She is at the shop, got her all cleaned and tuned and adjusted last Thursday and Friday. Then was able to finish up an upholstery job I had to set aside when my Pfaff quit on me. I'll post those photos later today. Thanks for posting yours!

Closeup of Big Barb - Consew 255RB.jpg

Edited by suzelle
Adding Photo of Big Barb the Sewing Machine

Sojourner,

Okay, This is Big Barb! LOL. I think she is a Consew 255 RB2, not absolutely sure though, since her badge is gone. I'm really putting this machine to use daily. Got the stitch perfect with #138 thread on top, #92 thread in bobbin. What's been real nice is that the bobbin is "Large" which is the "U" sized bobbin. I am pretty thrilled with that. This lady is a smooth stitcher!

14 minutes ago, suzelle said:

Sojourner,

I think she is a Consew 255 RB2, not absolutely sure though, since her badge is gone. What's been real nice is that the bobbin is "Large" which is the "U" sized bobbin.

Unless somebody has custom fitted a Juki hook and milled out the chamber it resides in, your bobbins are M style, not U.

5 hours ago, suzelle said:

Sojourner,

Okay, This is Big Barb! LOL. I think she is a Consew 255 RB2, not absolutely sure though, since her badge is gone. I'm really putting this machine to use daily. Got the stitch perfect with #138 thread on top, #92 thread in bobbin. What's been real nice is that the bobbin is "Large" which is the "U" sized bobbin. I am pretty thrilled with that. This lady is a smooth stitcher!

Bib Barb looks quite strong and sturdy.  Congrats!

6 hours ago, suzelle said:

Sojourner,

Suzelle -nice machine.  I am curious, why the 92 on the bobbin vs 138?  (Sorry if there is an obviois reason...still new the industrials).  

2 hours ago, Jhunter13 said:

I am curious, why the 92 on the bobbin vs 138?

There are few reasons that I know of:

i) Sometimes people just like the look of the larger thread on the top side where the addition strength of the top thread wasn't necessary.

ii) The machine wasn't designed for V138 top and in the bobbin sewing but you can cheat sometimes if you use a smaller bobbin thread as it is easier to haul up the smaller V92 thread through the larger size hole created by the larger needle required for V138.

iii) Their is misinformation out on the web that you should use one size smaller thread in the bobbin then that of the top thread.

v) You can get more thread on the bobbin to reduce bobbin changes.

vi) Worn or damaged parts that create tension issues.

kgg

9 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Unless somebody has custom fitted a Juki hook and milled out the chamber it resides in, your bobbins are M style, not U.

Hi Wiz, appreciate your input!!!

Since I don't want to hijack Sojourner's thread, I'll just create a new thread in the near future for Big Barb, with detailed photos of everything and you guys can identify what the heck Big Barb is made of. LOL. I'd love for you to really look her over and share your thoughts. I got so busy yesterday with this Auto Upholstery job I am on that I could barely even think of taking pics. The photo I attached is just the one the Seller used for the Ad.

3 hours ago, Jhunter13 said:

Suzelle -nice machine.  I am curious, why the 92 on the bobbin vs 138?  (Sorry if there is an obviois reason...still new the industrials).  

Hello JHunter, thanks! Glad you like her! Good question aboout the thread weights used!  The newly acquired machine (Big Barb) is my machine, but I have set her up at at a Friend's shop to help him get caught up with a sudden flood of work. He's got his machines set up with this thread combo, and since I know that is what he prefers to set up his own machines, I set mine up that way in his shop.

Yes, I have my own shop too. At my own shop, I have used #92 bonded, and #69 bonded pretty regularly. #92 top and bottom for Aircraft covers and Banners. #69 top and bottom for lighter stuff.

Any Auto Upholsterers here? Please chime in and answer that one for JHunter if you have the same thread arrangement used in your shop (#138 top and #92 bottom). I'm pretty new at Auto Upholstery too! Have done a little Aircraft Seat Upholstery too, but using #92 top and bottom.

Thanks JHunter for your question!

Edited by suzelle

44 minutes ago, kgg said:

There are few reasons that I know of:

i) Sometimes people just like the look of the larger thread on the top side where the addition strength of the top thread wasn't necessary.

ii) The machine wasn't designed for V138 top and in the bobbin sewing but you can cheat sometimes if you use a smaller bobbin thread as it is easier to haul up the smaller V92 thread through the larger size hole created by the larger needle required for V138.

iii) Their is misinformation out on the web that you should use one size smaller thread in the bobbin then that of the top thread.

v) You can get more thread on the bobbin to reduce bobbin changes.

vi) Worn or damaged parts that create tension issues.

kgg

kgg - all good points! I think you are right that the reason is they like the look of the larger thread on the top. I think you are also right that they like the idea of getting more thread on the bobbin to reduce having to change the bobbin. I was told that they felt they didn't need the exta stength of the thicker thread in the bobbin, that #92 was strong enough.

2 hours ago, suzelle said:

Any Auto Upholsterers here? Please chime in and answer that one for JHunter if you have the same thread arrangement used in your shop (#138 top and #92 bottom).

What you described is the method used on lockstitch sewing machines when one wants a bold top thread appearance, but there is insufficient thickness to hide the knots if the same size thread is used in the bobbin. A thinner bobbin thread bends tighter and won't cause noticeable bumps along the folded down and topstitched seams.

I sometimes use this technique when a customer asks to have a belt edge stitched for appearance, but the leather is too thin to hide the knots formed by #138 or #207 thread. Using a thinner bobbin thread lets the knots stay low down, but not sticking out the bottom.

Know that anytime you use a thinner bobbin thread, the strength of each stitch is that of the weaker thread.