jenniferhu

American Splitter LS440- not working....

I have two questions that I hope the forum can help with.

First, I bought the American leather splitter on Ebay and the seller listed it as working - it isn't.  The mechanism at the top that creates downward tension on roller that feeds leather and should be adjustable by hand, is partially broken and partially missing.  I've found a thread here that says its a comon problem.  Is there a place to get replacement or a manual?

I've asked the seller for a solution and they are not being helpful.  I've requested a refund, as this is just not good business.  I hate to do this to them, I'm sure they are just trying to make extra money, but I have an unusable piece of machinery.

I can probably get a local machinist to make something for me, but I'm wondering what a fair value would be for the machine as is?  I'd like to be a nice guy (girl actually).  Really appreciate any input!!

Jennifer

Remember: Always pillage before burning.

splitter-pic.jpg

Edited by jenniferhu
wrong model number!

Maybe some good photo's of the broken are r missing bit may help to get replies. the more information you give the better the response

Jennifer . . . check this thread

15 hours ago, Dwight said:

Jennifer . . . check this thread

So the adjustments and how to properly setup this splitter in my thread worked great for me. And someone even gave a tip to use a Landis Model 30  guide for additional help if needed (practically the same machine). Your adjustment lever at the top being completely broken makes your machine almost useless I would think though. You've lost all adjustment on splitting thinner. How much did you pay for that splitter? I would definitely be looking for my money back, if it was advertised as in working order and no photos of the damage were provided.  

Edited by Rubicon04

Thank you so much for your comments.  I found the Landis instructions on the web and printed them out.  The seller is being difficult but I used Ebay and they usually intervene...    It's a shame!

22 hours ago, jenniferhu said:

I can probably get a local machinist to make something for me, but I'm wondering what a fair value would be for the machine as is?

You never mentioned what the purchase price was. The best case would be too get a quote for re manufacturing / repairing / installation labor of the damaged part and subtract that from the purchase price. Worst case is the value it would bring as scrape metal.

kgg

The last quote I got for making a new adjusting handle by a machinist was $225. There are lots of considerations with the part and different setups to make the individual cuts and shaping. 

20 hours ago, bruce johnson said:

The last quote I got for making a new adjusting handle by a machinist was $225. There are lots of considerations with the part and different setups to make the individual cuts and shaping. 

That is super helpful.  The machine was described as "functional" on ebay I'm sure I can get a complete refund, but I may offer the seller a compromise.  Thanks for your input!