Hello all, 

I’m new the the group and new to leatherwork. I’m having a little trouble moving through this website to find what I’m looking for. 
I’m in need of two machines for making holsters, I would like a cylinder arm and a flat bed. I have done a lot of research on the cylinder arm and I think I know what I’m going to go with but I have no idea what to go with as far as the flat bed machine. I like old machines but I’m literally open to anything that will sew thick leather using 207 bonded nylon or thread that’s pretty close to that. 
thoughts, options, anything that you might have for sale? 
thanks for educating me

Do you need the flatbed to sew 1/2 inch with #207 or #277 thread? There are a limited number of qualified machines that will do that. I went down this rabbit hole during my first couple of years sewing leather goods.

Rather than enumerate all the numerous machines that didn't work out, the one that did was an Adler 204-374. These are as rare as hen's teeth. However, there is a clone of this machine made by Cowboy. It is model CB-243. It is expensive and only sews flat work.

Do you know that you can buy a heavy duty cylinder arm machine and get a table attachment with it? This gives the best of both Worlds. Here is the machine I have for sewing holsters and gun belts. It came with an accessory pack that included a large flat table that bolts onto the pedestal stand. It is expensive too, but will save you having to buy a second machine.

Wiz, I have thought about getting a table attachment for the cylinder arm machine and that would probably be best because I have a small work area. 
I would like to learn how to make chaps some day and I’m not sure if the machines that do the thicker work will do the thinner work as well.

Wiz, I also have my Grandma’s old Kenmore 117-36 that I thought about trying to covert to sew leather for Chaps and other things. Do you think that machine can be converted? I haven’t been able to find any specs on it. I’m in the process of cleaning it and getting it back to working order now. 
It’s a Kenmore 117-36 long shuttle

id post pics but haven’t figured out how to post them yet. Lol

2 hours ago, Wizcrafts said:

Do you know that you can buy a heavy duty cylinder arm machine and get a table attachment with it? This gives the best of both Worlds. Here is the machine I have for sewing holsters and gun belts. It came with an accessory pack that included a large flat table that bolts onto the pedestal stand. It is expensive too, but will save you having to buy a second machine.

Let me second his opinion and decision.  "With a little help from my friends" . . . mostly on here . . . I made the same decision . . . and am happy that I did.

I almost went with the 3200 to save money . . . but just every now and then I need that extra height . . . glad I spent the bucks now.

Yes . . . you can do chaps on this machine.  Fact is . . . if you pop a few bucks for an accessory plate made in Australia . . . you can go down to some pretty thin leather on this machine . . .  mine will be on it's way in a few weeks . . . 

If you want to make any adjustments to this machine . . . remove both the pedals . . . move them both to the right and to the rear so the back edge of the pedestal and the pedals are even.

You'll have to drill and tap the holes . . . but if you do it . . . you can drop the machine into the lowest position . . . and at 6'2" I can sit down on a kitchen stool and sew with it.  Beats the heck out of standing up.

Get the accessory kit with it . . . money well spent.  Toledo Sewing machine in Toledo, Ohio . . .  where I got mine.

May God bless,

Dwight

At the risk of being repetitive read this - 

I'll repeat what Wiz and Dwight said, a 441 clone will best suit your needs and with the addition of the aforementioned plate and a table attachment you'll have one machine that will do what you want. :yes:

The CB4500 is the machine I want the most and I have gotten prices from a couple people. 
thanks everyone 

I have to agree on the 441 clone machines. I have the Techsew 5100 and i was just thrilled that it does both jobs.

# 69 thread #19 needle - Leather Sewing Machines - Leatherworker.net

Thank you all and I’m sorry for the delayed reply. I ended up getting a awesome deal on a Cowboy outlaw that I couldn’t turn down. I’ve been playing with it and I made a holster with it and I love it so far. I do think I’ll look for a machine that will do thin leather for bags and purses and try my hand at those. 
thanks again everybody