AndrewWR

Camera case

Being a bridge camera user, I don't need a lot from a camera bag. A little protection from the elements and knocks and bumps. What I didn't need, and what most of the designs I looked at offered, was room to safely store the family crystal.

So here's my single space camera bag, minus the shaped (and suede covered) foam that I'll add for support when ebay delivers it. There's already 1/8" (3mm actually) of 10kg density EVA between the leather and the suede but I've ordered som 10mm 45kg density EVA to properly pad it and make some support for the lens.

The strap is detachable, courtesy of Loxx fasteners and doubles as the camera's strap because I've added tabs to the camera's strap anchors that have 5mm Sam Browns on them. Top tip: Loxx fasteners will lock perfectly well onto a 5mm Sam Brown stud if you want something lower in profile and less intrusive on the back side than a standard Loxx male connector. Not as strong, I'm sure, but the camera doesn't weigh that much.

Carbon fiber is becoming one of my favourite materials to work with. In this bag, the suede under the flap conceals a 0.5mm sheet of CF to stiffen the flap and make it lie a bit flatter, making a better fit with the bag and supporting it when the grab handle is used. 

The 'weird' three belt loop system is to give me the option of attaching it to my recent backpack build if I have a lot of luggage to carry. They'll also take 1" D-rings if I just want to dangle it from a couple of snap hooks while the camera's round my neck.

Stay safe.

Andrew

20220310_155821-1365x768.thumb.jpg.e04b375ebac544cc9e702efabfd2202b.jpg20220310_155839-1365x768.thumb.jpg.6f0eeadd1b4237e5642c1f9679e027cc.jpg

20220310_155938-1024x1820.jpg

Very nicely done.

Nice little bag.

Wish I could travel that light. I find when I go out to shoot I need 3 lens, and the battery charger.

Accessorizing now!

Just occasionally, I use a couple of filters and I wanted to make a case for them. It kindo of matches the etui I did recently, because I had just enough of the pigskin left.

This case is lined with pigskin suede too. It comfortably holds two 55mm Hoya filters in their plastic cases and convenientl fits in the bottom of the camera case. 

20220405_172301-607x1080.thumb.jpg.8b06c50d5c2f175a01336a7827f9d748.jpg20220405_172339-1080x607.thumb.jpg.62a26d0aa412160342e98fb613c3509f.jpg

very nice set !! 

very impressive.  Nicely done.  Stitching looks impeccable.

Did you build the outer shell, then build and slip the inner padding part in then stitch it in place around the top? Also did you build the outer shell inside out?

7 hours ago, DanaStanley said:

Did you build the outer shell, then build and slip the inner padding part in then stitch it in place around the top? Also did you build the outer shell inside out?

I padded and lined the front and back first, then stitched the side/bottom/side panel, then laid foam backed suede in the bottom, then the two sides got their foam and lining. 

The side padding holds in the bottom badding (glue too).

It couldn't be stitched inside out because its bridle hide and way too stiff for that sort of construction. Turning leather of this weight and firmness inside out would crease it horribly and ruin it.

Also, because the stitching goes from outside to inside, Inside out would not be any easier. This is hand stitched, like all my work. This style of construction is fiddly but it produces nice, robust seams and a relatively flat structure inside as well as outside.

If you take another look at the open top photo, you'll see the rolled edge of the side panel and the folded edge of the front panel are flat against the side.