benfanman

Info about latigo leather

Hey all,

I'm trying to get some more information about latigo leather, such as use cases, history of the leather process (if anyone knows), and any general trivia that people might know. Thanks so much for your help! 

I have worked with latigo for quite a few years. It comes in many forms, with some hides very supple and others very firm. These days I buy mine from The Hide House in Napa, CA, but have made purchases of latigo from Maverick Leather in Bend, OR.

The Tannery Row has offers this description of latigo on their website:

Latigo is a combination tanned leather with a full vegetable re-tan; well nourished with a rich proprietary blended oil emulsion. Characterized by beautiful tight grain, Latigo has come a long way from its cowboy origins— the old days of saddle straps and hand staining. Modern Latigo retains its toughness while showing a rich look that improves with age and use. This leather blends the durability of a chrome tan base with a heavy veg re-tan to create an unfinished, natural look that’s excellent for molding. It holds embosses well, retains molded shapes and has both full and corrected grain versions.

California Latigo 4/5 ounce from The Hide House.

Ferrari-Bags.jpg

On 3/11/2022 at 2:13 PM, stelmackr said:

Thanks for this, but there was a reason I chose to post on the forum. The information out there isn't quite specific enough to makers' experiences.

7 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I have worked with latigo for quite a few years. It comes in many forms, with some hides very supple and others very firm. These days I buy mine from The Hide House in Napa, CA, but have made purchases of latigo from Maverick Leather in Bend, OR.

Latigo is a combination tanned leather with a full vegetable re-tan; well nourished with a rich proprietary blended oil emulsion. Characterized by beautiful tight grain, Latigo has come a long way from its cowboy origins— the old days of saddle straps and hand staining. Modern Latigo retains its toughness while showing a rich look that improves with age and use. This leather blends the durability of a chrome tan base with a heavy veg re-tan to create an unfinished, natural look that’s excellent for molding. It holds embosses well, retains molded shapes and has both full and corrected grain versions.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abff California Latigo 4/5 ounce from The Hide House.

Ferrari-Bags.jpg

Wow, those pieces look great! Do you find that it's easier or harder to cut into latigo than veg tan? What makes you choose latigo over other kinds of leather for your pieces? 

11 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=671f9b9558b9abff California Latigo 4/5 ounce from The Hide House.

Ferrari-Bags.jpg

I don't know anything about latigo but I love the look of those bags

(can't say I understand exactly how they open but I love them regardless)

3 hours ago, benfanman said:

Do you find that it's easier or harder to cut into latigo than veg tan? What makes you choose latigo over other kinds of leather for your pieces? 

I don't use veg tan, only chrome tan and latigo leathers (along with a laser cutter). The reason I selected Hide House's California Latigo for these bags is because the temper is very firm, unlike most latigos, and because the flesh side requires no finishing so I didn't have to line the bags.

11 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

I don't use veg tan, only chrome tan and latigo leathers (along with a laser cutter). The reason I selected Hide House's California Latigo for these bags is because the temper is very firm, unlike most latigos, and because the flesh side requires no finishing so I didn't have to line the bags.

Interesting! I'll have to look into the difference between California Latigo and other latigo leathers. Thanks for the information! Do you have any tips for working with latigo? Do you need to apply any conditioner or anything after the bag is finished, or is it pretty much ready to go when you're done? I'm guessing that not all leather suppliers finish the flesh sides of their latigo leathers?