NigelDA

Re-stitching a strap retainer

The strap retainer is on a lens case for a draw telescople.  The case has a leather liner which has understandably been inserted after the case has been made and is firmly in place and also obscures the stitching of the end cap.  The major issue is that the internal diameter with the insert is just over 3cm and so far have not been able to find any saddlers or harness needles of 3cm or so.  In any case it seems to me that the only way to approach this situation is to remove the end cap and work from there and I feel that if the right size needle/s could be found then the task is feasible.  However,  I await any comments or suggestions from knowledgeable people on the forum please.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments or suggestions.

|Nigel

Dolland 3d scope. Lens case.640.jpg

I think you are right, you will need to remove the bottom to reach the retainer. Curved needles may be helpful.

Are the stitching holes still intact and useable? If so, you could use a curved needle. I used to use a curved needle to repair medieval style shoes for my team. With the shoes I could not reach the interior very well so I stitched through the sole and vamp with a curved needle.

btw its easy to make any needle a curved one

Thank you tsunkaspa and fredk for your replies.

The stitching holes for the strap retainer do not extend through the insert. I have mini drills which could do this. 

I have considered curved but because the  needles (also doing harness stitching)  have to go though three layers very accurately I feel it would need to be straight ones. 

If I understand the problem correctly, you are willing to stitch through the liner, but you are concerned with the lack of access within the tube.

When I encountered this problem before, I cut my needles to length (left the eyes), filed the tips to get rid of the rough edges, then used needle nose pliers to manipulate the needles where my fingers could not reach. It was slow and tedious, but it worked.

Many thanks, GatoGordo.  Yes,  I think that is probably the only way into it.  I had already thought that (with a straight needle) needle nosed pliers would be the tool to use but, hadn't thought about shortening the needles - so obvious when you think about it.  The only other issue is drilling accurately through the lining and I think I have that one worked out.  As you indicate a long and tedious job ahead but, will be very satisfying when it is done.

Thanks again for the so obvious solution.  Nothing like 20/20 hindsight!

Bit late to the party. But if it were me, I would have to disassemble parts (discussed already I believe) to get to the damaged area. As for needles, if I didn't have any and couldn't fenangle a needle through, I would try cutting them down to a suitable size and polish the tips up on some sand paper or something, pliers would probably need to be used also to grab the shorter needles. Just my 2 cents here haha I hope you get it figured out 

And I'm a dummy, I didn't see fat cat's response (good on you @GatoGordo!)