triage1998

New Guy Wanted To Say Hello (:^)

New guy here. I wanted to say hello before my first post. :^) I signed up in August and have been reading as much as I can the last 3 months.

I have always had an interest in leather working but with job, wife, young sons and other hobbies never had the time to get into it. I have finally decided to take the plunge.

My main interest is holster making. I would also love to learn how to make belts for CCW. I have 7 uncles, cousins and brothers that have carry concealed licenses. I would love to be able to make holsters and belts as gifts for each of them.

I have found a few holster makers on the web and here in this forum who's work I really enjoy and someday I would like to try and come close to their style and skill level. 'particle' of Adams Leatherworks, 'Shooter McGavin' of Zlogonje Gunleathers, 'billymac814' of Mccabes Custom Leather, 'Lobo' of Lobo Gunleather and a gentleman named David Prince, who am not sure posts on here but he owns Prince Gun Leather LLC. There are also many others on this forum who's work are just simply beautiful.

Hopefully if my skill level gets to the point where I am happy with the quality of the holsters maybe open up a internet holster business. Who knows.

I haven't bought any tools yet and I have a hundred questions to ask but I will put those in a new thread. I just wanted to say hello and let you all know how much I have enjoyed this website.

Edited by triage1998

Triage1998,

Welcome to the forum. As you've already found, much knowledge exhists here and the willingness to share is astounding. Lots of nice folks. My advice, worth only a few cents, is don't go out and buy a lot of leatherworking tools and sech. Buy a few square feet of some "good" leather, (many advertise here) a craft knife, some sewing cord, "000" needles and leather glue. Maybe some feibings dye in black or tan or oxblood red. Make a few holsters and get some experience and then go from there. It'll be more fun than a barrell of monkeys and with little spent dead presidents, even better. Good luck and Semper-fi Mike

Triage1998,

Welcome to the forum. As you've already found, much knowledge exhists here and the willingness to share is astounding. Lots of nice folks. My advice, worth only a few cents, is don't go out and buy a lot of leatherworking tools and sech. Buy a few square feet of some "good" leather, (many advertise here) a craft knife, some sewing cord, "000" needles and leather glue. Maybe some feibings dye in black or tan or oxblood red. Make a few holsters and get some experience and then go from there. It'll be more fun than a barrell of monkeys and with little spent dead presidents, even better. Good luck and Semper-fi Mike

Thanks for the welcome marine mp. Thinking about just going out and buying a double shoulder of 8/9oz. and a few tools next week

I am thinking on the lines of this to begin with:

• double shoulder of 8/9 oz leather( Hermann Oak?)
  • bone folder
  • Stitching 'diamond' awl
  • Edge Beveler size #2 and #3
  • overstitch wheel
  • Stitching groover
  • size 4 and 5 needles
  • Chisels for making belt slits (don't know what size I need)
  • Belt Punches
  • Exacto knife #24 blade
  • Block of beeswax
  • Stitching pony
  • drill press for burnishing and sanding (I actually could use one for my garage wood working area)
  • sanding drums
  • rosewood burnisher
  • Cork back non-skid metal ruler
  • Self healing cutting mat
  • 346 thread
  • Contact cement
  • Fiebings leather dye
  • Fiebing resolene
  • Gum tagacanth
  • wool daubers

I don't know if I need all this to begin it or if I need more items

I am also wondering if I should buy a lacing pony or try and build a Stitching pony that is in Al Stohlman's book 'The Art of Hand Sewing Leather'. I haven't seen much information if one of these is a must for the holster maker.

If anyone wants to critique my list please have at it.

Edited by triage1998

I bought a Pony, used it three times and sold it...

If your using a machine you don't need one and if your hand stitching a holster it becomes a pain in the ass as you start sewing.. I guess if there was a strap you slipped up and down to apply tension to the fingers it wouldn't be bad. But turning wing nutz will drive you nutz in short order... Also if your stitching something for say a sub compact it would end up being in the way more often than not.

Some things to think about...

You either have to decide on how many stitches per inch you want on your overstitch wheel or get one that comes with three different sized wheels. I went with the three different sizes.

Start with a #2 edger. I started with a #3 and IMHO, it just takes off too much leather unless you are using 13oz or greater. If the #2 doesn't do enough for you, then go get a #3.

Tandy has a stitch groover that converts to a creaser and in either configuration, it can be used free-hand or with the guide attached. I recommend it

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/Tools/88081-00.aspx

I don't know where your source is for sanding drums but I got a set at Sears for around $20 or $25.

From my very limited experience, belt punches for buckle tongues do not work on thick leather. They are wedge shaped and cannot plough through thick stuff. It was a complete waste of money for me. For any slots, drill a hole at each end and cut out the center between them with a utility knife. Likewise a strap end punch was a waste of money. I just cut them by hand and finish them with the sanding drum.

Make that Fiebing's "Pro Oil" leather dye and I will agree. Get some scrap wool, the real stuff, not the synthetic, to buff the dye before top-coating and to buff the top-coat after drying.

If you plan to do any snap setting, you may want to get a mini anvil, if you don't already have one in your shop.

I would choose what Tandy calls a "horn creaser" rather than their "bone folder". It does more of what you are looking for.

Reaper already told you that a stitching pony ain't gonna work for holsters, so I don't need to repeat that, do I?

Nick

I agree about the Oval punches but I cant work with a knife to cut the slot on a belt or holster, I use a chisel. I have a 1.5" for holsters and a 1" for belts. Since I am newer than the other guys above me I will say that a stitching pony or stitching Horse is a good idea. I use mine for all my holsters and it works. I can see as I get better not using it but for the moment, since I punch one hole then stitch it then move on the pony works really well for me. There are at least 3 ways to do everything around here an all can be right. All depends on who it doing it.

Tandy has a new Stitching pony that is about $80.00 bucks I think and it looks much better than the cheaper one they sell. They even solved the turning the wing nut issue. This new one has a wedge you can use to open the jaws without adjusting the wing nut. I saw something similar on a stitching horse from Japan. Id say get at least the cheaper one but the new one looks better. Once you get good enough you can sell it off.

Id love to learn how people can sew using a stitching awl, one hole at a time on a saddle stitch without a pony/horse. I have not learned that one yet.

Anyway thats my opinion.

Michael

triage, FWIW from the grumpy old man; your choice of needle size is a bit too small, I'd go to a #0 or a #1. In needles the bigger the number, the smaller the needle, when you get to zeros, the more there are the bigger it is. I'd kinda lay off on picking up too much stuff at first, but would start by picking up Al Stohlman's book "How To Make Holsters". It will give you a good rundown on what you'll need, and give you a lot of valuable info. The pics may be sort of out-of-the-past, but the info is all good. Welcome to the world of messing with dead cow skins. Mike

P.S. Remember, If you ask any three of us a question re: leatherwork, tools, application etc, ....... you're likely to get four differing answers.

Edited by katsass

I appreciate all of the advice. I hope to get out to Tandy next week to get some tools.

Any place recommended to order a double shoulder of Hermann Oak?

Oh... if you are cutting belts from sides, you will want a strap cutter!

Didn't think of that. I want to make a bunch of carry belts for myself right away. I figure it will give me good stitching practice.

Wow, it's weird to see my name on that list.

You know, I'm only a little bit North of you. If you wanted to swing by for a few hours one weekend and huff contact cement I'll be happy to show you a few things.

LMK

Wow, it's weird to see my name on that list.

You know, I'm only a little bit North of you. If you wanted to swing by for a few hours one weekend and huff contact cement I'll be happy to show you a few things.

LMK

Thank you for the offer. Thats very kind. That will help me tremendously. thumbsup.gif

I will send you a message through the forum this week and hopefully I can get out to your place soon.

I have to second Katsass's recommending the "0" size needles. I bought some 0 and 00 not knowing anything about them and 00 is too large for me to use...if anyone wants a 10 pk of 00 harness needles let me know and I'll give them to you. There is one piece of equipment that i personally could not make holsters without and use way more then the drill press. It's a 4x36 belt sander. I use it for everything from truing up the holster halves after cutting them out to final shaping and even edge beveling...i would be dead in the water without it.

I don't think Hermann oak makes double shoulders/backs. I believe they only offer sides so that would mean single shoulders and backs. At least that's all I can get from site sponsor Springfield Leather.

I'm looking forward to seeing you post up pics of your first projects here. One of the things I really like about this site is watching people improve with each project they do.

Edited by markush