Rayban

Rub stick question...

(Randy, I didn't want to high-jack your thread)

Is there an ideal wood for rub sticks, or will any hardwood do??

Thanks

Rayban, usually the rub sticks are made from Lignum vite (spelling not sure). I don't know why this is, but i suppose history and experience may have something to do with it. I'd like to know also,if there's some reason for this.

I was told that Lignum was used because of the natural oils in it. I have worked with lignum and let me tell you two things. It is very oily and if you lean a slab of it against the wall it will warp pretty fast. The other thing is that it is very irritating when you get the dust on your skin. I mean it actually burns. For those two reasons, I use cocobolo exclusively for my sticks and slicking blocks. Also if anyone is interested, we have a line of rub sticks, bouncers and string sticks available for sale. I will try to get some pictures up this week.

I was told that Lignum was used because of the natural oils in it. I have worked with lignum and let me tell you two things. It is very oily and if you lean a slab of it against the wall it will warp pretty fast. The other thing is that it is very irritating when you get the dust on your skin. I mean it actually burns. For those two reasons, I use cocobolo exclusively for my sticks and slicking blocks. Also if anyone is interested, we have a line of rub sticks, bouncers and string sticks available for sale. I will try to get some pictures up this week.

I've been using cocobolo for knife handles (my fav) so will have to make me a rub stick soon. It should be as pretty as Osage Orange!