TTcustom

New Workbench With Inlaid Stone

I finally finished my work bench with the 12"x18"x3" surface plate stone inset into the top.

I got the stone from Enco for only $25 but where they really nailed me was shipping. The total was $65 so the shipping was more than the stone! But it is well worth it to me. You could say it is "rock solid"! :head_hurts_kr:

Bench.jpeg

post-11332-127315901235_thumb.jpeg

Nice work Tim, that is what I need, a second bench used just for carving, tooling and stamping since my main bench gets so cluttered with STUFF. Now if I can figure out how to do it so the legs fold so I can take it with me on trips.

Thanks beautiful!

Thanks Bentley and King. It sure is nicer than what I had been working on and there is plenty of room for big projects.

TT Custom...

Hi: I have some questions (& I love your table, btw):

How heavy is your stone?

Is it reinforced underneath (I'm assuming so) and what are the reinforcements?

Any chance for a pic of the underside, please?

Why I'm asking is that I'm building a table to hold a tombstone 12" X 24" X 4" & it weighs north of 150 lbs (probably closer to 200) & I'm using pieces of 2" X 6"s laid on their sides as the reinforcements- I'm just concerned whether or not they will hold that weight properly. The frame has been built of 2" X 6"s & the legs will be 4" X 4"s screwed into the frame with lag screws. The top will be made of mdf.

Appreciate the help in advance. Thanks.

russ

Edited by whinewine

TT Custom...

Hi: I have some questions (& I love your table, btw):

How heavy is your stone?

Is it reinforced underneath (I'm assuming so) and what are the reinforcements?

Any chance for a pic of the underside, please?

Why I'm asking is that I'm building a table to hold a tombstone 12" X 24" X 4" & it weighs north of 150 lbs (probably closer to 200) & I'm using pieces of 2" X 6"s laid on their sides as the reinforcements- I'm just concerned whether or not they will hold that weight properly. The frame has been built of 2" X 6"s & the legs will be 4" X 4"s screwed into the frame with lag screws. The top will be made of mdf.

Appreciate the help in advance. Thanks.

russ

Russ

I couldn't find a weight but I would estimate it to be about 60-80lbs. I used 2x4 for the top and legs. I boxed in the stone with tight tolerences and made the worktop out of MDF and covered it with rubber. I wanted the stone to sit "proud" or flush with the work surface so with it sitting on the garage floor I put the bench top over it and marked where it ended. Then, as I did with all of the bench, I glued in three cross brace supports with gorilla glue and 3" deck screws. I am keeping an eye on it but I think it should be sufficient support. I will take a picture when I next get into the shop.

Tim

Russ

I couldn't find a weight but I would estimate it to be about 60-80lbs. I used 2x4 for the top and legs. I boxed in the stone with tight tolerences and made the worktop out of MDF and covered it with rubber. I wanted the stone to sit "proud" or flush with the work surface so with it sitting on the garage floor I put the bench top over it and marked where it ended. Then, as I did with all of the bench, I glued in three cross brace supports with gorilla glue and 3" deck screws. I am keeping an eye on it but I think it should be sufficient support. I will take a picture when I next get into the shop.

Tim

Here is a picture of the stone support structure.

Underbelly of the workbench.jpg

post-11332-12732901941_thumb.jpg

Here is a picture of the stone support structure.

Tim,

thank you. Similar to mine, except mine are 2" X 6"s to handle the additional weight. Just want to be reasonably sure it'll hold the stone. One thing I didn't do is use gorilla glue- I may partially disassemble & add some just to be sure.

russ

A 2x4 or 2x6 is strongest when it's vertical not flat. With a 150 to 200 pound weight above my feet vertical is the way i would want them even i had to make my bench a little taller and needed to get a taller stool to set on.

A 2x4 or 2x6 is strongest when it's vertical not flat. With a 150 to 200 pound weight above my feet vertical is the way i would want them even i had to make my bench a little taller and needed to get a taller stool to set on.

Your statement is true but knowing the particulars of my application and how it was utilized I have no fear about the safety of my feet. Thanks for your input though. :)