TroyWest

Question for Art

Art ,

I read a post the other day where you noted that Bill Buchman had passed away. I did not know him but my favorite round knife is a Buchman. I use it daily. My brother also uses them and ordered another one earlier this year and received it. I ordered another one about 3 mos. ago and he even called me about. I never got it and I really hate to hear of his passing. The thing I really like is the long and gradual tapering from handle to edge of blade. I haven't seen anyone elses knife with this quality of tapering. Do you know of anyone who really produces a comparable blade?

Thanks,

Troy West

Hi Troy,

Unfortunately no, Bill's knives are unique. Another maker I like is Bob Dozier, although his knives are pricier (over twice what Bill's knives were), they cut very well and have a little more steel behind the edge. My son likes the Dozier, I'll keep my Buchman's. I have a couple of Gomph knives that Ellis Barnes made or had made, they are a good value for the money.

Art

Art ,

I read a post the other day where you noted that Bill Buchman had passed away. I did not know him but my favorite round knife is a Buchman. I use it daily. My brother also uses them and ordered another one earlier this year and received it. I ordered another one about 3 mos. ago and he even called me about. I never got it and I really hate to hear of his passing. The thing I really like is the long and gradual tapering from handle to edge of blade. I haven't seen anyone elses knife with this quality of tapering. Do you know of anyone who really produces a comparable blade?

Thanks,

Troy West

Sorry to hear about Bills passing,he was a nice old fellow, and he made a great Knife.

Troy, I own one of the Dozier knifes and they are awesome, the price tag is up there but like I say, good knife. Very thin edge, unless he has any in stock they can take up to a year if you order one. IMO worth the money and the wait.

Steve

Troy, I have had a Dozier for coming up on two years. It does a have nice thin blade and is a great knife. I bought a 4" Gomph this summer as a general user and 6" Gomph for a skiver. They are all made from D2. The Gomphs have a little meatier blade, but a longer taper than most of the other new knives I see around.

Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts and opinions.

Troy

Sorry to hear about Bills passing. I am trying to buy a Bills knife from Verlane Desgrange, but no response.

Now it's impossible to have a Bills unique knife,too bad...

Chouinar dragon,

I understand that Verlane passed away a couple years ago. You may be dealing with her estate. Good luck

Happy tooling

Tim

Texas Custom Dies may have some old stock.

http://www.texascustomdies.com/

Art

Sorry to hear about Bills passing. I am trying to buy a Bills knife from Verlane Desgrange, but no response.

Now it's impossible to have a Bills unique knife,too bad...

To Tim,

Sorry about that...I do not live in the US,don't have the chance...

To Art,

I just worte to them and hope they still have them in stock

Chouinardragon