Sign in to follow this  
morgans leather

Round Knife Leather Sheath

This is a simple leather sheath for my round knife. I wanted to do somthing fun and make it look like it was a very old leather sheath by antiqing it. I chose one piece of leather for the front that had lines and grain marks runing through it to get my overall look and just a plane smooth piece for the back . The leather used for this project where scrap remnants that i bought from the leather-guy online .

I started with two different types of shoe polish to rub into leather so the leathers true color would still remain some what.

First coat of shoe polish was a CAVALIER Cordovan/Burgundy 232 to rub on edges and on all the leather. Then i used red wings medium brown 95172 over the other shoe creme.

with both shoe polishes i used about 6 coats per each to give a layer effect on the leather . I then used a grill lighter butane torch to burn the edges on front to give it a design effect of waves or pattern .

I then soaked the whole piece in water and got out a butane torch the kind that screw on a large bottle for plumbers to solder joints and burn and blistered the back side of the leather just for a look.

Then i sanded the edges of the leather to get the two different colors of polish to show through and burned the edge slightly also for an old worn look, I also sanded the back where i blistered the leather to give an even more worn look and allowing the blistering of the leather to show through more. I finished the whole thing with a mink oil leather creme and some neat's foot oil. So there it is folks tell me what you think about my work and craftsmanship because this leather stuff is all new to me and this is my second project with leather .

post-31975-025796300 1340225004_thumb.jp

post-31975-053566100 1340225038_thumb.jp

post-31975-038417400 1340225048_thumb.jp

post-31975-052744500 1340225058_thumb.jp