Danielvetpath

Alternative Closure Messenger Bag Flap

I have been trying to think of some different ways to close the main flap on a messenger bag. The usual strap and buckle is secure, but a little time consuming compared to the plastic clips on many fabric/cordura bags. Questions: 1 - how much length adjustment is needed in real life on a typical strap and buckle? 2 - Has anyone used a pair of swivel snaps on straps with a couple of d rings or leather loops (ala scissor snap belt) that allow length adjustment? Brainstorming here and would love any suggestions. At this point it seems like strap and buckle is most common because it works! Thanks, Daniel

Edited by Danielvetpath

I think you need to take into account if the messenger bag has a handle on top or just a shoulder strap. If it has a handle, as mine do, then I think it is important to not only secure the flap, but also support the hole bag when using the handle, My straps run around the entire bag that way when I lift with the handle, I am in essence lifting the bag from the bottom and not the top. I think it reduces the stress on bag....... Probably over kill but I think it also looks nice.....There is a leather bag out there that uses a "Cam" lock that is really cool alas I do not remember the name of the leather maker, and you can get the cam locks from Ohio Bag..One of these days I am going to buy a pair and put then on a messenger bag for me.

Thank you, kwelna, for your input. It is good advice. As much as I wanted to avoid it, I think I am going to use plastic side release buckles for the flap. This bag is for my son at college. As much as I like the aesthetic of brass roller buckles, I wanted the opening/closure to be easy and rapid. If it doesn't function well for him, form will not matter if it sits unused in the corner of his room. Thanks again for taking time to reply. I appreciate it.

It may be too late now, but you may want to consider tuck lock clasps for a quick release option. Tandy, Ohio Travel bag, Springfield, and I'm sure many others supply these. Here's one from Tandy:

http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/home/department/hardware/11399-619.aspx

ETA: If you need adjustability, you can put an adjustment buckle higher on the flap and have the strap terminate at the bottom with the tuck lock. The way I would approach it is have the billet end with the adjustment holes sewn to the top flap- that way the tip of the billet is hanging downward, have the tuck lock on a short strap with the buckle at the other end. Of course the socket (if that's what it's called) for the tuck lock would be mounted on the bag front near the bottom.

Edited by byggyns