Daniel G

Boxing Gloves: Gathering Question

I'm interested in making boxing gloves in the near future. I was wondering what would be the best method to gather the seams at the fingertips. Here is a vintage glove of mine, notice the gathering and the welting.

29ll1mq.jpg

Edited by Daniel G

Now here's an ambitious project!

I've never done a boxing glove but I've been punched by a few.

Boot making requires gathering extra material at the toe. So maybe this will be some help:

Start at the middle, you might want to lay an edge of cement to hold the gathers. I'd suggest using a needle nose pliers and press it to the cement. Move to the right of the middle about 1/2", and twist clockwise and press to the cement. Go to the left side of the middle and repeat by moving over about 1/2", and twist counter clockwise.

You might want to secure the sides before you begin in the middle. Try to minimize the amount left to be "drafted" in the center of it all.

If you need to twist the same as above, clockwise for the right side and counter clockwise for the left side.

Good Luck

Edited by Leatherimages

Now here's an ambitious project!

I've never done a boxing glove but I've been punched by a few.

Boot making requires gathering extra material at the toe. So maybe this will be some help:

Start at the middle, you might want to lay an edge of cement to hold the gathers. I'd suggest using a needle nose pliers and press it to the cement. Move to the right of the middle about 1/2", and twist clockwise and press to the cement. Go to the left side of the middle and repeat by moving over about 1/2", and twist counter clockwise.

You might want to secure the sides before you begin in the middle. Try to minimize the amount left to be "drafted" in the center of it all.

If you need to twist the same as above, clockwise for the right side and counter clockwise for the left side.

Good Luck

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I'm going to play with your idea.

It is quite a task for my skill level. There's virtually no information on how to make boxing gloves, and the few people who know aren't willing to share.

I did find a video on youtube that shows snippets of the glove making process. At the :06 second mark they show a split second of what looks like someone manually making the gathers as he sews.

screenshot20120111at621.png