Ambitious1

Old Dude Newbie From Colorado

Hello all

Okay, I'm not that old, but...

My name is David (aka ambitious1) - I have absolutely no experience doing any kind of leather work, other than commissioning someone else to create what I want, and I think it is time for me to jump in and see if I can actually do this myself.

My background?

I'm in technology. I am the Chief Technology Evangelist for a big data storage company, I do some marketing consulting on the side for small startup technology companies, I'm on the board of directors of a local startup in my town I live in, and sit on the board of directors for a non-profit called, Colorado Wounded Vet Run. I play guitar, sing, ride a motorcycle, married with three kids, the youngest of which is four and the oldest, 18. i'm a busy guy, but something about working with leather, creating artwork, seeing people respond to your creation, really intrigues me. So, I began down this journey.

Knowledge so far: Well, zero, as I mentioned above:

I've ordered some books and began reading them, watching youtube videos, asking some questions in other forums, but I haven't a clue where to start.

I've been on tandy leather's site and looked at some of the starter kits, I've been on ebay and have been tempted by a few things listed there, but to be honest I just don't know what to get.

Projects: What I would LIKE to do:

Guitar straps (I own 14 guitars, I already had two beautifully made leather straps done by Margaret Turner out of Parker, Texas (i should post a couple of pictures of those, she does such wonderful work - and quite frankly was my inspiration to jump in to this art form)

Leather bracelets (for my wife's professional business coaching and motivational speaking business)

and...ready for this?

Recover my Harley Davidson, two-up motorcycle seat. - this is why I chose the username that I did.

I wouldn't mind making some cases, too, especially for some of my guitar gear, and for presents, but I just need to know where to start.

So - I found this forum, and I'm looking forward learning - everything I can, so I can hopefully make some of these things on the list - especially the Harley seat.

Thanks for reading,

David

Welcome to the forum David......from another ol' dude.