Sign in to follow this  
chazrull

Hobbylobby Bag Of Leather

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but.... I was looking at the bag of leather scraps sold in HobbyLobby, thinking I could use them for practice. Most of the leather looks like it bonded to some kind of blue foam rubber core. Anybody know what this stuff is? I don't think it is something I could practice tooling.

Is the blue in the center or actually on the bottom of the leather? A lot of cheaply dyed chrome tanned leather has a blue core because the the dye didn't penetrate too deep. So you can still see the "wet blue" from the beginning of the tanning process. If it has a blue core, it's most likely not veg tanned, and therefore not toolable. I'm guessing they sell this as "craft" leather or something similar.

It looks like 2 thin outer layers of leather,with a medium blue core. The outer leather layer are varying colors on different pieces, tan, maroon, black. I think it's probably junk.

Yep, that's chrome tanned, and a crappy run at that. HobbyLobby likely sells it for scrapbooking, making ornaments, and stuff like that.

I have a Hobby Lobby here, and I know what you are speaking of--don't buy that stuff. It's not very good chrome tanned leather and it bleeds dye pretty easily. It can't be tooled, and it tends to have weak spots too.

If you want practice tooling scrap, just about any leather supply will sell veg tanned tooling leather by the pound.

Yeah the problem is, we live in Northwest Arkansas! No supply places close. Springfield leather is about 2.5 hours away, someday I'll make the trip up there...

Just call Springfield leather up and talk to them about your wants and needs. They're great folks and can give you suggestions on what they can sell you that will suit your needs, and will happily ship it. I found their shipping to be pretty reasonable too.